Got one of 'THOSE' questions??

*Mach*

Well TSA doesnt require you to leave your luggage unlocked they actually try to encourage them to be locked with TSA approved locks that they have a key to so I dont really see how that could be the reason.

Thanks!

They're checking on it... that was a WAG... as a military guy what WAG means...

They're going to get back to me. It's apparently not a change that was widely discussed...

:)

They're going to get back to me. It's apparently not a change that was widely discussed...

Thanks for looking into this Mach. I don't have anything to hide, but given the amount of time our bags are out of our hands and sitting around, this policy makes both Jim and I very uncomfortable. I carry valuables and cash with me, but I still would be upset if anything went missing from a suitcase. I'm having visions of half outfits, or worse, missing golf clubs. I know locks won't deter a professional thief, but I do think they help with the casual thief or prankster.

Thanks Mach I appreciate it!!!

John Heald is asking about this now... I told him my concerns regarding Carnival's liability until the bags are on the ship. Until that time the longshoremen have possession but because Carnival is demanding the bags not be locked they'll be liable...

John Heald is asking about this now... I told him my concerns regarding Carnival's liability until the bags are on the ship. Until that time the longshoremen have possession but because Carnival is demanding the bags not be locked they'll be liable...

Thanks Mach!!! Will be waiting to see what the reply is.. Lynne :)

Thanks for looking into this Mach. I don't have anything to hide, but given the amount of time our bags are out of our hands and sitting around, this policy makes both Jim and I very uncomfortable. I carry valuables and cash with me, but I still would be upset if anything went missing from a suitcase. I'm having visions of half outfits, or worse, missing golf clubs. I know locks won't deter a professional thief, but I do think they help with the casual thief or prankster.

I worry about someone using MY suitcase to smuggle something on to the ship. It's in YOUR bag, if it gets caught, it's YOUR problem and you have to explain it. If it doesn't get caught, great, they can remove it from your unlocked suitcase as it is waiting to be transported to your cabin or as it sits in front of your cabin (or...like many times, it is sitting in front of someone elses cabin. We have also had luggage put in our room by the steward that wasn't ours)

IF IT IS UNLOCKED AND OUT OF MY SIGHT, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR WHAT IS TAKEN OUT OF IT OR WHAT IS PUT IN IT WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT!!

Hi Mach,

So has Carnival told you why they want our luggage to be unlocked. I just don't like the idea at all. I use the TSA approved locks and there is a place that they can put a key so they can open it. I just don't understand Carnival's reasoning over this.

Hi Mach,

So has Carnival told you why they want our luggage to be unlocked. I just don't like the idea at all. I use the TSA approved locks and there is a place that they can put a key so they can open it. I just don't understand Carnival's reasoning over this.

No, I have not heard.

John passed the question along last night and I'm sure there wasn't anyone knowledgeable to get the question to on a Sunday night.

I'm hoping to hear today but I would be really surprised if there wasn't some kind of revision to this policy. From Carnival's side of the fence, it leaves them open to TONS of liability for something that might happen out of their control. From our side of the fence, we're turning over our bags to non-Carnival employees 'trusting' that they will treat the bags properly.

Just sounds like a dumb policy to me...

:rolleyes:

I have noticed that the porters and or Carnival babbage people are rather ruff on our luggage. Pretty much every time we cruise one of our bags will be damaged.

Never bothered to put in a claim but it is a sore point for us.

Getting more and more tempted to bring our stuff on with us especially now that we are platinum and do not need to bring as much as before.

I have noticed that the porters and or Carnival babbage people are rather ruff on our luggage. Pretty much every time we cruise one of our bags will be damaged.

Never bothered to put in a claim but it is a sore point for us.

Getting more and more tempted to bring our stuff on with us especially now that we are platinum and do not need to bring as much as before.

It's tough to tell where such damage occurs but it sure does. Don't know if it happens as the bags are headed toward the ship or once loaded in the hold. I suspect it happens prior to the bags arriving on board.

A few years back I bought new luggage. After the first cruise the new bags were battered and beaten when they arrived at my cabin... Doesn't make much sense to buy new...

No, I have not heard.

John passed the question along last night and I'm sure there wasn't anyone knowledgeable to get the question to on a Sunday night.

I'm hoping to hear today but I would be really surprised if there wasn't some kind of revision to this policy. From Carnival's side of the fence, it leaves them open to TONS of liability for something that might happen out of their control. From our side of the fence, we're turning over our bags to non-Carnival employees 'trusting' that they will treat the bags properly.

Just sounds like a dumb policy to me...

I'm with you on this, Mach. I can't even begin to list all the liability issues this exposes Carnival to. Add angry customers to the liability aspect, and it just doesn't make sense.

I read David-n-Rita's post about people putting something IN to an unlocked bag. That's possibly more concerning than somebody taking something out of a bag!

Jeez, haven't heard that term for awhile..

Something to do with wild guesses......hmmmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Hey Mach,

Someone had told me they changed the buckets of beer on the Lido from 5 beers to 4 any validity in that? Also any idea on the bucket prices?

Thanks,

Last September on the Conquest a bucket was four beers for $17.50. That was 16 oz Miller Lites...

Mach, I was just reading on the boards, Scissors now a confiscated item in Galveston and mini live review

Here is the deal. I have packed scissors for our Dream Cruise, 2/20/10

As my sister and I will be cutting off our Braids in front of the Dream catchers, at our Meet and Greet.

I think John Held is even going to do the honors

This is our way of doing fund raiser for Children with Hair loss.

They are small, 2 inch cutting surface (5 inches total) but sharp.

Just enough to cut off the braids, and then do a little fix up of the mess John might have made of our hair.

(We may just end up going to the spa and getting it fixed)

So the question is, will I be allowed to bring them on board?

If not do you know if I can get a pair from the Spa, for using?

Thanks, we leave in a little over 3 weeks, I can't wait to be on the Dream:D

Mach, I was just reading on the boards, Scissors now a confiscated item in Galveston and mini live review

Here is the deal. I have packed scissors for our Dream Cruise, 2/20/10

As my sister and I will be cutting off our Braids in front of the Dream catchers, at our Meet and Greet.

I think John Held is even going to do the honors

This is our way of doing fund raiser for Children with Hair loss.

They are small, 2 inch cutting surface (5 inches total) but sharp.

Just enough to cut off the braids, and then do a little fix up of the mess John might have made of our hair.

(We may just end up going to the spa and getting it fixed)

So the question is, will I be allowed to bring them on board?

If not do you know if I can get a pair from the Spa, for using?

Thanks, we leave in a little over 3 weeks, I can't wait to be on the Dream:D

This is the only thing that I could find that discusses scissors. Nothing in the ticket contract covers them.

On this page http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx there is a link to a list of prohibited items and it says scissors with blades longer than 4 inches (are prohibited).

It wouldn't surprise me if the security folks were misinformed. Call the 800 number and ask the same question and you often get many different answers.

Hi Mach,

When the language in the ticket contract conflicts with language on the "cruise documents" which one takes precedent?

I would guess that it would be the ticket contract since you actually have to accept the terms and conditions of it.

Can you check with Carnival?

Im sure this is a dump question, but is it possible to switch our dining option? We are cruising on freedom on 2/7 and asked for late seating, but would like to change to anytime dining.

You can try...

If you booked through a PVP or the website you can go to your booking a look on the left side of the page for 'Manage Booking'. There you'll find 'Modify Booking.' You'll be able to edit your dining preference.

If you've booked with a TA you'll have to rely on him or her to attempt to change your preference...

If none of the above works you can visit with the Maitre d' upon embarkation and request a change.

Best of luck!

Hi Mach,

When the language in the ticket contract conflicts with language on the "cruise documents" which one takes precedent?

I would guess that it would be the ticket contract since you actually have to accept the terms and conditions of it.

Can you check with Carnival?

I'll be glad to ask but I can tell you right now that it's the language in the contract that will take precedent. The contract is a legal document... the eDocs are really little more than a convenience...

Archived