Got one of 'THOSE' questions??

*Mach*

Host Mach, one small question. We are on the Elation in April for the repo cruise, San Diego to Mobile. How can we do this since it's against the jones act?

The Jones Act requires that a ship sailing from the US, that is not US flagged, must make a stop in a foreign port prior to returning to the US... You're making a number of stops between San Diego and Mobile so the Jones Act won't be an issue.

The only real issue is that because it's not a closed loop cruise everyone will be required to have a passport.

:)

Going on my sixth cruise on the Conquest:D

I have read conflicting information about ordering liquor from the bon voyage department at Carnival. Is it still possible to order a bottle delivered to cabin? If so, what are the current prices?

Thank you!

Going on my sixth cruise on the Conquest:D

I have read conflicting information about ordering liquor from the bon voyage department at Carnival. Is it still possible to order a bottle delivered to cabin? If so, what are the current prices?

Thank you!

Ok, never mind:o I searched again and found that it IS still possible to order. I will call Bon Voyage.

The Jones Act requires that a ship sailing from the US, that is not US flagged, must make a stop in a foreign port prior to returning to the US... You're making a number of stops between San Diego and Mobile so the Jones Act won't be an issue.

The only real issue is that because it's not a closed loop cruise everyone will be required to have a passport.

The Jones Act does not apply to passengers. What you're probably thinking of is the Passenger Vessel Act.

Just a comment.

I have noticed that more and more people are coming to this board and asking about ports.

This morning noticed the following new thread.

Western Caribbean Itinerary - Excursion suggestions needed

I know some of you will say to look at the individual port of calls first, but I was looking for more of a general idea of what to do before researching each place in depth.

We're going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel

Golfadj again. Guess the thing to do is ignore them and wait for the moderator to move them. But I thought this one was a bit much.

The Jones Act does not apply to passengers. What you're probably thinking of is the Passenger Vessel Act.

Yeah... to a degree... The PVSA and the Jones Act pretty much work hand in hand...

The Jones Act was designed to improve the welfare of American merchant seamen but, as happens with many laws, it's reach went far beyond that.

The idea was that any vessel that sailed from a US port to a US port had to be manned by at least 75% US citizens and those sailors had to be paid and have benefits at a specific standard or above. Any repairs to US flagged ships had to be conducted at foreign ports were restricted to 10% foreign steel pretty much forcing repairs to be done in US ports.

They used the law to restrict US port to port travel to US flagged vessels. That's the reason that NCL was flagging a few ships as US for their sailings to Hawaii... it prevented having to have an intervening foreign stop.

Regarding that, I'm sure that you're aware of the failure of NCL's effort in that area... from three ships to two ships to one ships... The Jones Act effectively prices US flagged ships out of the market.

The PVSA, also a cabotage law, goes the Jones Act one better and specifically states the obvious that the Jones Act did not... that any foreign flagged vessel voyages that originate in the US must make a stop in a foreign port prior to returning to another US port hence the 'technical stops' that so many ships make especially on West Coast sailings...

The world would be a better place without either of those laws. They were ages ago and have outlived their usefulness by a long margin...

The last 2 stops are Tampa and Mobile. How does that comply with the act? or does Carnival just have to pay a penalty fee?

The last 2 stops are Tampa and Mobile. How does that comply with the act? or does Carnival just have to pay a penalty fee?

It complies because there are foreign ports between the port of origin and the destination...

On our cruise on the Conquest last fall the first port of call out of Galveston was Key West... same deal...

The Passenger Services Act requires a stop at a distant foreign port. Distant foreign ports are any ports not included in the term nearby foreign ports.

Here is an excerpt from the CBP:

(2) Nearby foreign port means any foreign

port in North America, Central

America, the Bermuda Islands, or the

West Indies (including the Bahama Islands,

but not including the Leeward

Islands of the Netherlands Antilles,

i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao).

Looks to me that the info on Carnival's site is out of whack:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Jones_Act.aspx

The stop in Columbia satisfies the requirement of the act.

Hi Mach,

I read on another post:

I just confirmed with my PVP that on some ships you can order from room service while on board. While on Triumph we ordered several liters of Bacardi rum for $40 a bottle. Make sure to tip the guy that brings it! He did say that it is ship specific and to just check when you get on board. We are sailing Fantasy and hope we can do this again. :D

Can you find out which ships you can order bottles of alcohol from room service?

THANKS!

Mach,

Quick question.

If a roll call group wants a Meet & Greet does Carnival provide a meeting place with any amenities. Like an open bar with shots.:p Had to throw that in.

Carnival Dream 2/20/2010 is trying to decide on a Meet & Greet. I'm part of the Dream Catchers Group and we have one planned for us. The roll call group wants to meet Sunday at 3:30 but are unsure where.

Thanks

Mary

Mach,

Quick question.

If a roll group group wants a Meet & Greet does Carnival provide a meeting place with any amenities. Like an open bar with shots.:p Had to throw that in.

Carnival Dream 2/20/2010 is trying to decide on a Meet & Greet. I'm part of the Dream Catchers Group and we have one planned for us. The roll call group wants to meet Sunday at 3:30 but are unsure where.

Thanks

Mary

Mary, can you have one of the members of the roll call email me?

Thanks!

Unless of course said raccoon is a certified assistance animal, of course . :)

Under the ADA, Assistance Animals are not required to be certified and the only question allowed to the person receiving the service is, "What service does the animal provide."

Of course non-U.S. based lines may not abide by the ADA.

Hi Mach

I have read a little about future cruise certificates, Im going on the Victory march 7th can I buy them for a cruise in march 2011 now not sure how they work Thanks

I'm not sure if the Victory has the future cruise certificate program but if they do, yes, the cert would be fine for your cruise in 2011...

Archived