Any cruise "Don'ts"

chadci

Thanks guys, these are all great tips. Keep them coming.

Speaking of tips, i'm going to prepay mine.

Silent Bob. You look more like John Popper than Kevin Smith and assuming that's who you're refeering to, very cool! I love his films.

Don't eat too much:p

That is a bit of a concern for me. I am proud to say that since mid March of this year I've lost 120 pounds... I've been doing a low carb diet but kinda made my own rules as I did not think it wise to cut out veggies as the plans suggest. That said, I should be close to my goal by next May but refuse to get back in the shape I was in.

Don't pick a cruise vacation that doesn't suit you----for example, picking a cruise with "formal" nights, if you don't want to wear anything but shorts on your vacation!

Don't feel you have to load up on "excursions"....do some research, and you can save big bucks doing things on your own!

You don't need to buy an entire new wardrobe just for cruising---clothes you have appropriate for the weather will work just fine!

Don't stress--it's a vacation!!! There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it!

DONT slam the doors.

Close your balcony door if you are opening your cabin door. It creats a wind tunnel and slams the cabin door shut.

Are the rooms pretty quiet? We stayed in a hotel eariler this year and could hear every toilet flush, every shower... etc.

Are the rooms pretty quiet? We stayed in a hotel eariler this year and could hear every toilet flush, every shower... etc.

Yes, the cabins are quiet, so you don't hear every sound made next door. However, you will still hear loud noises.

Don't over pack. People tend to pack two weeks of stuff for a 4 day cruise. Pack then take half of it out. :D

Well, it's a 7 nighter and I sweat like a hog and tend to get most of my meal on my clothes so I'll pack 1 pair of shorts for every 2 maybe 3 days, 1 day shirt per day and 1 evening outfit for every 2 - 3 days.

Drink of the Day.......and why?? Because you are now officially on vacation :D

These are not free- the way its packaged and the waiter asks if you want one-- many first timers will take it and take a sip before the waiter asks for a sail and sign card.

That is a bit of a concern for me. I am proud to say that since mid March of this year I've lost 120 pounds... I've been doing a low carb diet but kinda made my own rules as I did not think it wise to cut out veggies as the plans suggest. That said, I should be close to my goal by next May but refuse to get back in the shape I was in.
Several thoughts along these lines:

Except when you're wearing heels, don't take the elevators -- the stairs are your friend.

Don't let a day go by without exercise -- hit the gym, take a step aerobics class or a spinner class, or go ice skating; in port, choose active excursions.

Don't drink your calories -- you can pack away half a day's worth of calories just with a few sodas and fru-fru drinks, and nothing packs on the pounds like a beer-drinking habit.

Don't get the soda package -- if you have to sign for every soda you get, you'll think twice and likely drink water instead.

Don't bother with the bread -- it's nothing special.

Don't go to the buffet for lunch -- instead, order a salad from room service.

Don't have both an appetizer AND a salad -- choose one or the other.

Don't ignore the ship's rules of ettiquette. These rules make it possible for huge numbers of people to share the ship politely. So don't save chairs, don't line-jump in the buffet, don't allow your children to run wild. In short, just be polite.

Don't skip reading the daily ship newspaper. It'll give you loads of information on port stops, availability of activities, etc.

Don't feel that you have to eat in the dining room every single night. A casual dinner of pizza or room service is nice after a day off the ship.

Don't run to the ship's doctors if you feel just a little "off". They may end up putting you into quarantine. Instead, stay in your cabin a while, take a nap, drink plenty of water . . . and THEN if you're worse, go to the ship's doctor. Chances are that you've just overdone the sun, the alcohol, or the activity.

Don't travel on embarkation day, and don't wait 'til the last minute to board. Get the most out of your time!

Archived