Any cruise "Don'ts"

chadci

• Don't be cranky and do enjoy every minute of it ~ I still don't understand people who are cranky on vacation
  • Don't sweat the small stuff
  • Don't forget to read the dailies
  • Don't forget to smile and say please and thank you to the crew
  • Don't expect everything to be perfect and go with the flow

Do have a wonderful time and enjoy all the memories you will make :D:D:D

Don't miss the opportunity to chat with the crew... they have all seen so much of our world, they are from very different cultures, they have all undergone a very strict selection process to get where they are..... and they all have fascinating stories to tell about their work, life, home, family and career.

Those that don't generally interact with passengers, i.e. security folks, sailors, engineers, etc. are sometimes a bit shy, but are often amongst the most interesting and intelligent people you will meet anywhere.

And if you're lucky, you'll meet some of them again and again on other cruises...and you just might make a new friend!

VP

That is a bit of a concern for me. I am proud to say that since mid March of this year I've lost 120 pounds... I've been doing a low carb diet but kinda made my own rules as I did not think it wise to cut out veggies as the plans suggest. That said, I should be close to my goal by next May but refuse to get back in the shape I was in.

Way to go!

You'll be tempted by all the treats on the cruise, but everything in moderation, and remember this is a vacation. You can go back to your diet when you're back on land.

Congratulations again!

Congrats on your first cruise!

Unfortunately, you may encounter a few sourpusses who complain about anything or everything.

So, in that event........don't pay attention to them or let them get to you.

As a fellow CCer wrote, "90% of the people in the world don't get to take a cruise. So keep things in perspective."

Have a blast! :)

And DON'T depend upon your cell phone for the time. It will pick up local time and not the ship's time. Take a watch.

Thank you for posting that. I curise on 12/14 and hadn't even thought about getting a watch because I use my cell phone for everything. Now I think I will buy at least a cheap one.

Silent Bob. You look more like John Popper than Kevin Smith and assuming that's who you're refeering to, very cool! I love his films.

:p

My avatar used to be a picture of Kevin from one of the movie posters, but whenever I met people on a cruise, they would always say that I looked nothing like my picture. ;)

:p

My avatar used to be a picture of Kevin from one of the movie posters, but whenever I met people on a cruise, they would always say that I looked nothing like my picture. ;)

HA!

I not worn a watch for years. I plan on getting 2, 1 for more formal wear and one that can get wet and take a beating.

I am also planning on getting an international calling card so we can check in with the kids from time to time. I assume that the ports will have pay phones?

I'm usually not one to complain or get sucked in by others who do. I see / hear plenty of it every day and just cannot understand why or how somebody could be so upset about being on a cruise. I think the only thing that could possibly urk me is if I fall overboard :D

I am also planning on getting an international calling card so we can check in with the kids from time to time. I assume that the ports will have pay phones?:D

Wait til you get on the ship- ask crew members where is the best place to get phone cards-- and the best place to use those cards.

The cards we get at home dont always work at the various ports.

You do NOT want to use a Credit card for such cards.

--

do NOT poo poo with your nose in the air for foods that you never heard of and never tried. Now is the time to try any new foods since if youdont like it-- you can get something else.

this was how we discovered the chilled soups and how awesome they were.- try a new food at each meal

Wait til you get on the ship- ask crew members where is the best place to get phone cards-- and the best place to use those cards.

The cards we get at home dont always work at the various ports.

You do NOT want to use a Credit card for such cards.

--

do NOT poo poo with your nose in the air for foods that you never heard of and never tried. Now is the time to try any new foods since if youdont like it-- you can get something else.

this was how we discovered the chilled soups and how awesome they were.- try a new food at each meal

Good thinking on the phone cards. I've never really bought any so I had not considered that.

As for food, well, I love all foods and plan to eat a lot of different things. I hear they serve escargot on the cruise, I'm looking forward to that.

Just stay up all night !!! Sunset - Sunrise... and Party in the middle..:D

HA! I'm 34 but when it comes to stuff like that you would think I was 44 ;)

What is there to do on the ship all night? I know the pubs are open late and maybe some late shows but after that...?

Don't be a chairhog! That means don't toss your stuff in a lounge chair by the pool to "save" the chair and go off doing tons of other stuff. It's okay if you get up to go to the bathroom, get in the pool or maybe get something from the buffet and come right back.

Are the rooms pretty quiet? We stayed in a hotel eariler this year and could hear every toilet flush, every shower... etc.

When booking your room make sure you are not under or over one of the night clubs or bring your ear plugs.

Congrats to you OP! 120lb loss is a great accomplishment!

I am a type 2 diabetic that would rather ignore it than deal with it - so I too worried about all the food on my first cruise (a month ago).

There are so many options that it is actually quite easy to eat responsibily yet feel satisfied that yiu are not missing out.

I actually lost 2lbs on my cruise because I was so active on excursions in port.

I used the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I often filled my plate and went back to my stateroom to eat on the balcony. This made it less likely I would make a second trip to the buffet.

Again congratulations on your awesome accomplishment.

Congrats to you OP! 120lb loss is a great accomplishment!

I am a type 2 diabetic that would rather ignore it than deal with it - so I too worried about all the food on my first cruise (a month ago).

There are so many options that it is actually quite easy to eat responsibily yet feel satisfied that yiu are not missing out.

I actually lost 2lbs on my cruise because I was so active on excursions in port.

I used the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I often filled my plate and went back to my stateroom to eat on the balcony. This made it less likely I would make a second trip to the buffet.

Again congratulations on your awesome accomplishment.

Thanks!

Buffet for breakfast / lunch - back to your room sounds like a really good idea and would make it much easier to just lay down for a nap too ;)

• 4 months later...
That is a bit of a concern for me. I am proud to say that since mid March of this year I've lost 120 pounds... I've been doing a low carb diet but kinda made my own rules as I did not think it wise to cut out veggies as the plans suggest. That said, I should be close to my goal by next May but refuse to get back in the shape I was in.

Congrats! That is wonderful. :)

Archived