Any cruise "Don'ts"

chadci

Don't use your iPhone/smartphone onboard, unless it's an absolute emergency. Put it in airplane mode/switch it off, or you will get the bill a while later, and you will cry.

I've seen a lot of do lists, how about things you should not do while on a cruise.

Don't forget to use sunscreen -- often.

Don't forget to pay attention to the boarding time notice in port.

Don't forget to be friendly to the crew and other passengers.

Don't try to do too much.

Don't smoke in the non-smoking areas.

Don't forget to have fun!

Thanks guys. Still have a month and a half to go but :o I'm packed and ready to go... seriously. As I mentioned, I lost a lot of weight so I've had to buy all new summer clothes. Probably not much need for them until after we get back so, they're in the suitcase and ready to go. I'll probably wash them all before we leave but...

Got 3 excursions planned for the 4 port days

Stingray city, turtles and Hell in Cayman Islands

A Victor Bodden tour in Roatan

Altun Ha in Belize

The way work is these days, a month and a half seems like an eternity.

Are the rooms pretty quiet? We stayed in a hotel eariler this year and could hear every toilet flush, every shower... etc.

We've been on MANY cruises and have never heard a sound from cabins next door..............flushes, sounds, voices, nothing............I wish motels/hotels were as quiet.

Sometimes we hear voices in the HALL as people speak loudly returning to their cabins, that's about it.

(Other than LOUD music once when we were sort of under one of the lounges with a band at night.)

Once you get home...wait a day or 2 to weigh yourself.

Prior to our 1st cruise I had also lost a significant amount of weight, and even though I had kinda :o:p watched what I ate, and walked everywhere, plus worked out in the fitness center regularly I found that when we got to our post-cruise hotel (they actually had a scale in the bathroom:eek:) I had gained 5-7 pounds. I didn't monitor what I ate for the 2 days we were at that hotel, but I also didn't step on the scale again until the morning we were leaving for home. Not only had I dropped the weight I "thought" I had gained...but I had lost another 3-4 pounds! I've discovered that I'm one of those people who starts to retain water the instant I step on the ship.:eek: I drink water and iced tea, with a very occasional drink of the day, but still get all swollen and uncomfortable.

Soooo...give yourself a break. Eat in the manner that you've learned to do, and wait until you get home and readjust to your "pre-travel" routine before you hop on that scale.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!

Don't let "negative nellies" rain on your parade..........just get up and move along if they try to tell you all the things that are "awful" on the cruise............they can infect your perception.

YOU WILL HAVE GRAND TIME!!:D

Lay out all your clothes and money on the bed. Pack half the clothing and twice the amount of money. Now you're good to go. :D

We're going to be gone from home for 11 or 12 days total. Granted, the cruise is only 7 days. We're having a wedding party on Thursday, she won't be home again until we get home. I won't be home after Friday morning. Flying to Tampa Saturday, Cruise SUnday - Sunday but we're not flying home until Tuesday.

We decided to pack for 5 days. I'm packing 1 pair of dress slacks and 2 dress shirts. She packed 1 dress and 2 scraves. We each packed 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of kaki pants and 2 casual shirts plus 2 swim suits, and shorts - t-shirts. I'm a very heavy sweater so I packed 2 t-shirts per day. We'll do our wash one night on the cruise when we just don't want to go do anything... or does Carnival offer laundry service?

As for money. I've prepaid tips and excursions and I've been pre-paying OBC each paycheck so we'll have $50 - $75 per person per day when it's all said and done... We agree to keep it under that amount... and I'm planning to take plenty of cash for shopping on excursions, tips etc.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been reading all sorts of tips and tricks here on CC. I don't like walking into the unknown and while this is still our first cruise, I feel comfortable with what I have learned.

The hard part is going to be flying to / from Tampa... I just don't like flying but there is really no other way we can get there in the time we have.

Don't pick a cruise vacation that doesn't suit you----for example, picking a cruise with "formal" nights, if you don't want to wear anything but shorts on your vacation!

Don't feel you have to load up on "excursions"....do some research, and you can save big bucks doing things on your own!

You don't need to buy an entire new wardrobe just for cruising---clothes you have appropriate for the weather will work just fine!

Don't stress--it's a vacation!!! There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it!

I like this list-well put. Just add: Don't expect this to be your one and only cruise-you'll be planning your next one as you disembark!!!

Unfortunately, you may encounter a few sourpusses who complain about anything or everything.

So, in that event........don't pay attention to them or let them get to you.

I just came across this post hence, the late reply to it. I know that I am going to get flamed for it but here goes. It seems to me after reading some of the posts on various threads here on CC and also reading through some cruise reviews, there are some people who nitpick about the tiniest little things. There are people out there who go on cruises so often and on such long cruises and I think that for some of them it has gone beyond a love of cruises but has become almost their career and therefore, it just doesn't hold the same true excitement for them as it once did. This is just my opinion but I think that the "career" cruisers are the ones who are doing the nitpicking and the others just love being on a ship and can't find fault with anything even if it is there. I understand that the nitpickers think they are doing the rest of us a service by informing us in their reviews that they had to wait a whopping 30 minutes for their room service order or that they never received their complimentary tote bag or that their steak was choice instead of prime but IMHO the fact that some of us are fortunate enough to be able to go on a cruise should be enough to just sit back, enjoy the ride and be willing to take a bump or two. My cruise "Don't" is to not take what is written in some of these posts or reviews to heart.

Okay, all you flamers, let me have it.

My cruise "Don't" is to not take what is written in some of these posts or reviews to heart.

Okay, all you flamers, let me have it.

Oh, that applies to anything. I've not cruised before but I have traveled a lot. If I took every bad review to heart I would never go anywhere or do anything. I think some of the best travels have been to places WITH bad reviews. Possibly because I go in with the thought that it could be bad, it's not so it exceeds my expectations. It could also be because I learned a long time ago to make the best of any situation, go with the flow and just be glad that I'm able to be there in the first place.

And after your cruise, when you eat at a "normal" restaurant, don't forget to pay!

Those numbers on the menu beside the description of the food are called "prices". :p

HA! Good point. Probably no sense in laying in bed expecting somebody to bring me breakfast and coffee every morning either :D

I just came across this post hence, the late reply to it. I know that I am going to get flamed for it but here goes. It seems to me after reading some of the posts on various threads here on CC and also reading through some cruise reviews, there are some people who nitpick about the tiniest little things. There are people out there who go on cruises so often and on such long cruises and I think that for some of them it has gone beyond a love of cruises but has become almost their career and therefore, it just doesn't hold the same true excitement for them as it once did.

No flames, but I would disagree. Most people who have gone on numerous cruises seem to me the ones who go with the flow because they've seen delays, issues to resolve, etc, and decide "hey, we're on a boat!, we're on a vacation" and realize that it's a good life.

In my experience it has been the person that has been treated "special" at home who expects everyone to treat them like they are special on board, too. The ones who have staff and position at home (big man on campus) to order everyone around who can't talk back. They think it is THEIR DUE.

I agree with those who have said not to do too much. On our last trip to the Mediterranean, we had excursions booked every day in every port, getting up very early, and not returning until late. By about the 7th day I was in tears because I was so exhausted. We decided to blow off the next day's excursion and just layed around the pool. I really needed that day off.

Well, it's a 7 nighter and I sweat like a hog and tend to get most of my meal on my clothes so I'll pack 1 pair of shorts for every 2 maybe 3 days, 1 day shirt per day and 1 evening outfit for every 2 - 3 days.

I am the oppisite, I am not packing anyclothes, dont plan on wearing any!

J/K :D

Several thoughts along these lines:

Except when you're wearing heels, don't take the elevators -- the stairs are your friend.

Don't let a day go by without exercise -- hit the gym, take a step aerobics class or a spinner class, or go ice skating; in port, choose active excursions.

Don't drink your calories -- you can pack away half a day's worth of calories just with a few sodas and fru-fru drinks, and nothing packs on the pounds like a beer-drinking habit.

Don't get the soda package -- if you have to sign for every soda you get, you'll think twice and likely drink water instead.

Don't bother with the bread -- it's nothing special.

Don't go to the buffet for lunch -- instead, order a salad from room service.

Don't have both an appetizer AND a salad -- choose one or the other.

Dont do any of these things. Youll starve to death in a place where you can eat EVERYTHING.

No flames, but I would disagree. Most people who have gone on numerous cruises seem to me the ones who go with the flow because they've seen delays, issues to resolve, etc, and decide "hey, we're on a boat!, we're on a vacation" and realize that it's a good life.

In my experience it has been the person that has been treated "special" at home who expects everyone to treat them like they are special on board, too. The ones who have staff and position at home (big man on campus) to order everyone around who can't talk back. They think it is THEIR DUE.

Thank you, Glendale Cruiser, for your reply. I didn't mean to imply that every long time cruiser is a constant complainer. I agree that for most of you, it truly is just a genuine love of being on a beautiful ship on a beautiful sea. I can fully understand the frustration about long delays with embarkation, the troubles that come along with being in code red, problems with the plumbing or the air conditioning, etc... These are things that warrent some major complaining, especially if they are continuous. But does it really make a difference as to whether or not you will choose the same cruiseline if your vegetables served in the MDR were lukewarm or that you didn't receive your tote bag until day 4 of the cruise instead of the first day? Yes, I guess for some, those tiny little non issues would make a difference because as you said, they expect perfection because it is their due.

I just hope that when people out there are planning a cruise, especially newbies, that they will not take all that they read here on CC or in any of the cruise reviews to heart. For the most part, the advice given here on CC has been invaluable and it has helped me with planning my first cruise. But if I were to take to heart some of the comments about various cruiseships, there wouldn't be one that I would want to be on.

Thank you, Glendale Cruiser, for your reply. I didn't mean to imply that every long time cruiser is a constant complainer. I agree that for most of you, it truly is just a genuine love of being on a beautiful ship on a beautiful sea. I can fully understand the frustration about long delays with embarkation, the troubles that come along with being in code red, problems with the plumbing or the air conditioning, etc... These are things that warrent some major complaining, especially if they are continuous. But does it really make a difference as to whether or not you will choose the same cruiseline if your vegetables served in the MDR were lukewarm or that you didn't receive your tote bag until day 4 of the cruise instead of the first day? Yes, I guess for some, those tiny little non issues would make a difference because as you said, they expect perfection because it is their due.

I just hope that when people out there are planning a cruise, especially newbies, that they will not take all that they read here on CC or in any of the cruise reviews to heart. For the most part, the advice given here on CC has been invaluable and it has helped me with planning my first cruise. But if I were to take to heart some of the comments about various cruiseships, there wouldn't be one that I would want to be on.

I'm not worried about everyday issues... lukewarm food, slow service, broken AC ( as long as it gets fixed) etc. We're real life people and we understand that stuff happens sometimes. If something goes wrong, we'll ask for it to be fixed and we'll go on... no worries from us. It's no different than going out to eat and our steak is over / under cooked. That won't keep us from going there to eat again.

Archived