Any cruise "Don'ts"

chadci

HA! I'm 34 but when it comes to stuff like that you would think I was 44 ;)

What is there to do on the ship all night? I know the pubs are open late and maybe some late shows but after that...?

Ha :) My husband is 44 and I am 41. We frequently stay out until 3am. We are planning on staying up way late partying most nights on our cruise next year.

Well, the reason I came up with 44 is because... She says sometimes I act like I'm 7 and sometimes I act like I'm 77. And I said "HA, that means on average I act like I'm 44"

The funny part is, most of my close friends are between 10-15 years older than me :o

I agree with those who have said not to do too much. On our last trip to the Mediterranean, we had excursions booked every day in every port, getting up very early, and not returning until late. By about the 7th day I was in tears because I was so exhausted. We decided to blow off the next day's excursion and just layed around the pool. I really needed that day off.

Lots of people I've met say Med cruises are too port intensive - just not enough down time. I think I'd rather do Europe by ground / rail - just my thoughts on it.

I like to limit my planned excursions to finding a drink and a lounge chair by the pool. Okay, sometimes I find something of interest in port - I like archaeological stuff, but it sure won't be shopping or anything else hectic.

Hi silentbob007 -- I see that in March you were on the Radiance of the Seas. My husband and I are booked for this cruise (Anchorage to Vancouver) in August. Any reactions or special tips about that cruise? What shore excursions did you do & did you arrange them yourself? How about rules for bringing alcohol on board?

I'd love to hear your views and suggestions. Thanks!

Well, the reason I came up with 44 is because... She says sometimes I act like I'm 7 and sometimes I act like I'm 77. And I said "HA, that means on average I act like I'm 44"

The funny part is, most of my close friends are between 10-15 years older than me :o

Most of our friends are older, too. Probably because the bands we listen to attract an older crowd. 44 is a great average :)

Most of our friends are older, too. Probably because the bands we listen to attract an older crowd. 44 is a great average :)

Yeah, I listen to a pretty wide range of music but I tend to lean towards easier listening with a twist ( Ryan Adams, David Gray, Brandi Carlile etc) but here lately we've been nuts at work and I need something to keep me going so I've been loading lots of Ramones, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Stray Cats, Social Distortion etc. on the MP3 player.

She likes NEW hard rock with all the screaming and grunting. I just don't care for it. She's 5 years younger than me... in some ways there is no difference.. in other ways we are light years apart.

Ha :) My husband is 44 and I am 41. We frequently stay out until 3am. We are planning on staying up way late partying most nights on our cruise next year.

We too are a late night couple, but on a ship we are totally differnt people! Geez! The sun and sea air just wears us out. What's weird though, is if we do a land-based beach vacation where we stay right on the beach, we don't get anywhere near as tired out, but on a ship we're early to bed almost every single night. :o

I take naps on Cruises! My schedule has been as follows:

Wake up for coffee & Sunrise with DFIL

Breakfast

Port & Excursion or Shopping

Back on the boat - take a nap for 1 - 2 hours

Take shower & get ready for dinner

Late Dinner Seating with DFIL & DMIL

Show

Karaoke

Bed.

I don't know if this will work out for me in Alaska, as I may have to tooth pick my eyelids open so I don't miss a minute of the scenery.

Any tips for the best time to take a Nap in Alaska?

Any tips for the best time to take a Nap in Alaska?

On your flight home ;)

We're going to try and do Alaska next year. It's been a dream of mine to visit there for as long as I can remember... heck, I would almost move there... and I've never been there.

On your flight home ;)

We're going to try and do Alaska next year. It's been a dream of mine to visit there for as long as I can remember... heck, I would almost move there... and I've never been there.

Awwe this makes me happy. I love to hear great comments about my beatiful state but hey no bias here from this Alaskan lol :)

Adri

Don't switch off of ship's time. I you are someplace on shore, make sure you have a watch or other time-keeping device. Also remember that you typically need to be onboard 30 minutes before posted sail dates.

The other time-keeping device should not be your cellphone becuase it will reflect port time automatically.

Lots of people I've met say Med cruises are too port intensive - just not enough down time. I think I'd rather do Europe by ground / rail - just my thoughts on it.

I like to limit my planned excursions to finding a drink and a lounge chair by the pool. Okay, sometimes I find something of interest in port - I like archaeological stuff, but it sure won't be shopping or anything else hectic.

I've only read to here...so I have to say, don't hesitate to book a Med cruise :) The benefit to many port days is that you get to see a lot more of the country than if you are on a land trip. The downside is that you only get (typically, there are exceptions) one day in port.

The beauty of a Med cruise is that you don't have to worry about the transportation from city to city, nor do you have to check in to a hotel every day or two. Those things can waste so many hours of travel.

Just block out a few days pre and post cruise, making sure your port of departure is a place you would like to visit for a few days. We did this, leaving from Rome (Civitavecchia) and our pre and post days were awesome. The cruise could not be beat...the only thing we would have liked better is maybe 3 more days in Florence.

• 3 weeks later...

Balcony "don'ts "

Don't hang on the balcony rail and let your smoke drift into my balcony area.

Don't play your music loud while out on the balcony, for that matter, don't shout out there unless it's "Man Over Board".

Don't stare down or up at people out on their balcony's.

Don't forget your manners.:cool:

That is a bit of a concern for me. I am proud to say that since mid March of this year I've lost 120 pounds... I've been doing a low carb diet but kinda made my own rules as I did not think it wise to cut out veggies as the plans suggest. That said, I should be close to my goal by next May but refuse to get back in the shape I was in.

The food on our cruise this past summer was fantastic and needless to say we did not miss any meals. That being said however we did soooo much walking in port each day that I did not gain any weight, so take advantage of being able to wander through town, see the sights, meet the locals and walk off dinner:)

1. DON'T think about work while you're on your cruise!

2. DON'T pass up a "Miami Vice", "Mango Swirl" or "Kiss on the Lips"!

3. DON"T fret the small things!

4. DON'T be afraid to order more than one appetizer, entree or dessert!

5. DON'T be afraid to sing Karaoke (you'll never see these people again)!

6. DON'T forget to walk with your significant other on a moonlit stroll along the deck!

:cool:Bill

Archived