My plan for St Thomas - advice please!!!

thisnthat

Okay. So we're going to be in St. Thomas next Saturday (Dec 12), and this is what I was planning. We are planning on taking a half day sail with Rumbaba charters. So we are going to have to take a taxi to Red Hook dock ($20/person round trip), and then go on the sail for approx. 3 hours. He has agreed to drop us off at St. John around noon (not sure where yet, but I'm assuming Cruz bay dock??). We then want to take a taxi to check out St. Johns - maybe Trunk bay or Honeymoon beach??? After that, we would get back on the ferry ($6/person) to Red Hook, and then take a taxi back to Crown Bay dock. Does this sound do-able?? We are in port from 8am-6pm. If we get to St. John's at noon, I thought we could spend a couple hours there, with plenty of time to get back to the ship. Am I trying to cram too much into one day?????? Advice please!!! Thanks!

St. John is so spectacular that nothing else compares. Yes, your plans are very "doable." But you are putting a lot into one day.

If I were you, I'd totally skip the sailing. I would take a taxi to Red Hook and the public ferry over to St. John. Then, instead of going to Honeymoon or Trunk, I would take a taxi to Cinnamon Bay and spend the day there snorkeling and lounging on one of the most beautiful beaches in the northern hemphisphere.

Trunk is not great. All of the coral is dead from thousands of tourists - who don't know what they are doing, kicking it and standing on it. It's also painfully crowded with cruise ship passengers. Honeymoon is great, but not a lot of snorkeling there.

Another option is skipping the sailing and go straight to St. John. When you get there, rent a jeep for the day (about $75) and spend the day exploring several beaches. Start with 1/2 mile hike to Waterlemon, then go to Cinnamon, then to Honeymoon and finish your day doing a little shopping at Cruz Bay.

Whatever you do, don't go with a large group or organized tour. St. John is wayyy too nice to spend ANY time waiting on a large group of people, and being told where to go and for how long.

Thanks for the response! I have heard such great things about the sail that I was really excited about trying it. The captain told me the same thing you did about Trunk, so that one is getting crossed off our list :) I def don't want to be in the large crowds, which is why I was looking at booking indenpendantly. There's a max of 6 (the size of our party), so it works out great. I'm just so excited to be there soon!!! I appreciate your feedback!

First, Rumbaba is a great boat and Captain Bobby is a good guy. We sailed with him in June (full day) and had a alot of fun. I don't see any issue with your plan except I doubt you'll make St. John's in half a day or even a full day.

If you meant St. John, no problem. Just be mindful of the time for the ferry, especially later in the day when "rush hour" comes and it maybe a little more crowded. I would plan on at least 45 minutes from Red Hook back to Crown Bay, but that depends on how the driver goes. It always better to be a little early than stand on the peir watching your ship sail off.

Scott

St. John is so spectacular that nothing else compares. Yes, your plans are very "doable." But you are putting a lot into one day.

If I were you, I'd totally skip the sailing. I would take a taxi to Red Hook and the public ferry over to St. John. Then, instead of going to Honeymoon or Trunk, I would take a taxi to Cinnamon Bay and spend the day there snorkeling and lounging on one of the most beautiful beaches in the northern hemphisphere.

Trunk is not great. All of the coral is dead from thousands of tourists - who don't know what they are doing, kicking it and standing on it. It's also painfully crowded with cruise ship passengers. Honeymoon is great, but not a lot of snorkeling there.

Another option is skipping the sailing and go straight to St. John. When you get there, rent a jeep for the day (about $75) and spend the day exploring several beaches. Start with 1/2 mile hike to Waterlemon, then go to Cinnamon, then to Honeymoon and finish your day doing a little shopping at Cruz Bay.

Whatever you do, don't go with a large group or organized tour. St. John is wayyy too nice to spend ANY time waiting on a large group of people, and being told where to go and for how long.

Thanks for the tips. It will also be my first time in St Thomas/St. John and I was debating whether or not to make it over to St. John or just take a nice relaxing day at Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbor. It seems like it could be some work getting over there but I know we can manage. My question is, are the beaches at St. John that much more superior to the ones I mentioned in St. Thomas'?

Could someone please confirm the taxi rate from cruise port to Red Hook. We're gonna be docking at Havensight and I was figuring more like $8 per person to Red Hook. Has anyone ever taken the bus that stops in front of Kmart to Red Hook? Or isn't Red Hook on the stop list. Thanks for the info.

Tazerok - if you haven't ever been to St. Thomas and want to make the most of your time - Sapphire and/or Secret Harbor are great choices. (Used and/or because they are just maybe 5 minutes drive apart so you could do both if you wanted.)

Openwater - Havensight to Red Hook is $10 pp, ow. Yes Red Hook is on the public transportaions's East End route.

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

WE are also booked with Rumbaba this month. We sailed on the Jester last Feb. and I think both or similair options. We had the most fantastic day on the Jester but he was already booked for the date this month so went with Rumbaba which also gets great reviews. We have been to St. Thomas several times and honestly I believe the beaches there are over-rated. Megans, and Sapphire included. When we went on the Jester we went to Honeymoon Beach and it was beautiful and the snorkeling was good. I'm just thinking that I would not have wanted to cut short our trip that day and cram in another thing. Just my opinion. I think you should just enjoy your sail aboard the Rumbaba and relax - don't try and do too much and be stressed out.

WE are also booked with Rumbaba this month. We sailed on the Jester last Feb. and I think both or similair options. We had the most fantastic day on the Jester but he was already booked for the date this month so went with Rumbaba which also gets great reviews. We have been to St. Thomas several times and honestly I believe the beaches there are over-rated. Megans, and Sapphire included. When we went on the Jester we went to Honeymoon Beach and it was beautiful and the snorkeling was good. I'm just thinking that I would not have wanted to cut short our trip that day and cram in another thing. Just my opinion. I think you should just enjoy your sail aboard the Rumbaba and relax - don't try and do too much and be stressed out.

I think the OP sailed already. I agree with you - a day on Rumbaba is enough. Trying to do too many things just makes the schedule too rushed - the opposite of what you should be doing in the Virgin Islands. We did Rumbaba last year - and it was far nicer than an excursion on a competitor's boat a couple years back. Not only was the boat and crew better, but Captain Bobby's mate made better drinks and the food is absolutely fantastic. The fish was some of the best I've had anywhere! And our friends enjoyed their steaks quite a bit too.

I think the OP sailed already. I agree with you - a day on Rumbaba is enough. Trying to do too many things just makes the schedule too rushed - the opposite of what you should be doing in the Virgin Islands. We did Rumbaba last year - and it was far nicer than an excursion on a competitor's boat a couple years back. Not only was the boat and crew better, but Captain Bobby's mate made better drinks and the food is absolutely fantastic. The fish was some of the best I've had anywhere! And our friends enjoyed their steaks quite a bit too.

You posted just in time - we leave tomorrow and embark on Sat. Rumbaba on Tues!!! We are soooo excited for St. Thomas! Thanks for the extra positive remarks!!! Makes it all the more something to look forward to.

You posted just in time - we leave tomorrow and embark on Sat. Rumbaba on Tues!!! We are soooo excited for St. Thomas! Thanks for the extra positive remarks!!! Makes it all the more something to look forward to.

If you see this message before you go PLEASE tell Captain Bobby that Larry (who just made reservations with him for March) said Hello!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed your message but FYI we had a fantastic day with Capt. Bobby. Beautiful weather (except no wind for sailing) and enjoyed our trip so very much!! Food was awesome, drinks were awesome, and the places we snorkeled were also awesome. Have fun in March!

Archived