Caye Caulker

I love cruising!

For a very long description of our trip to Caye Caulker and pictures, read the Legend review in my signature.

Caye Caulker is an interesting place to visit IF;

1. You are booked with a reputable company OR

2. You understand the possible complications of taking the water taxi and plan accordingly AND

3. If your expectations of the island are reasonable.

Caye Caulker is not where you want to go if you are interested in a beach day. If you are interested in visiting a more "authentic" island and enjoy wandering on your own visiting shops and restaurants, then you might enjoy Caye Caulker.

what blessedwith12 said. Be sure you read her review!!!

Anyway- I am a fan of Caye Caulker, I like it there, and I plan to visit again in January, making sure NOT to take the last ferry back, and knowing that there are 2 ferry docks ;). And also knowing what the bathrooms are like there:( ( bw12- gross is an understatement).

I found it charming, photogenic, and relaxing, but I like rustic, and dislike bright/shiny/commercialized places while traveling. The 'beach' is about the size of a postage stamp- don't go for a beach day, go for a walk-about day.

So- if you are a seasoned independent traveler who likes to get out there and avoid the standard group tour offerings- you could have a great day. If you are uncomfortable researching and making your own travel arrangements that may include canceling if the weather is funny that day- stick with a tour.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from Caye Caulker. Just hoping to let people make an informed decision and avoid our mistakes. If I had planned ahead of time, I would have done things differently. For one, I would have been aware of the 2 different taxis and both of their schedules. And, if I had been thinking more clearly, I would not have made a trip with only 1 possible return time. In the spirit of trying not to let our canceled tour ruin our day, and trying to be spontaneous, I made bad decisions I would not have made if I planned ahead of time. Since you do have time to plan ahead, if your schedule allows you to have enough time on Caye Caulker and take the next to last possible water taxi, go ahead and enjoy yourself. Most people do not have the problems we encountered. The tropical storm was definitely an issue that day, also.

Whatever you decide to do - make sure you plan ahead for Belize. In my opinion, it is not a good port to wing it and make plans the day you are there.

Archived