Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!

TLCOhio

In Athens, we are considering getting there a couple days ahead four cruise. Given that we previously have done the Acropolis, National Archaeological Museum and Peloponnese Peninsula, we are starting to evaluate our best potentials for 2018.

We definitely want to see and tour the new Acropolis Museum that was opened after our June 2006 previous and only visit to Athens. We are also considering a day-trip tour from Athens to Delphi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Understand this historic site has major monuments from Ancient Greece such as the Temple of Apollo. Reactions and experiences to share for comparing Delphi . . . versus . . . doing Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon?

What else is new and/or great to consider for in and around Athens in mid November 2018?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Welcome back (to the Med), Terry.

I found Delphi to be a simply wonderful site. There is a lot more to see there (including a fabulous small museum with some real treasures) than at Cape Sounion, but of course it is a longer drive. If you go, make sure you get an early start to maximize your time at Delphi. For me, much higher on the list than Cape Sounion.

I don't know if you have been to Corinth already, but I'd also recommend it. Closer to Athens the (rarely mentioned) Eleusis is also a very interesting site to visit -- it is the site where the Eleusinian "mysteries" of ancient times were held. (Emperor Hadrian was an enthusiastic initiate and supporter of them...)

• Thanks 1

Terry-

I second cruisemom on Delphi. Sounion is in a lovely setting and it is best at sunset, but that's it. Delphi is wonderful.

Maybe you should plan on three full days in Athens before your cruise. One day for Athens, one for Delphi and one for Corinth and Mycenae.

For your day in Athens, do not fail to go to the National Archaeological Museum. That's where the "treasures" are.

BTW - a few years ago we had an afternoon arrival in Athens and we had the wonderful George the Famous Taxi Driver pick us up and drive us to Sounion for the sunset and then to our hotel in Athens. We had dinner at a beach taverna on the way to the hotel. Just an idea. . . Since you will be traveling in November, the sunset will be early (around 5 pm) and it could be quite doable. Sounion is about 45 minutes from the airport.

Edited by marazul

Welcome back (to the Med), Terry. I found Delphi to be a simply wonderful site. There is a lot more to see there (including a fabulous small museum with some real treasures) than at Cape Sounion, but of course it is a longer drive. If you go, make sure you get an early start to maximize your time at Delphi. For me, much higher on the list than Cape Sounion. I don't know if you have been to Corinth already, but I'd also recommend it. Closer to Athens the (rarely mentioned) Eleusis is also a very interesting site to visit -- it is the site where the Eleusinian "mysteries" of ancient times were held. (Emperor Hadrian was an enthusiastic initiate and supporter of them...)

Appreciate this great, as always done by cruisemom42, follow-up. Very helpful!! Yes, have visited and enjoyed Corinth. Did that historic city in 2006 when taking our private tour around the historic and fascinating Peloponnese Peninsula.

For doing Delphi, what are the best logistics and options to consider for visiting there, doing that exploration, etc.?

What else is new and/or great to consider for in and around Athens in mid November 2018 that we would have missed since our June 2006 first and only adventure in Athens?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 198,542 views for this posting.

Terry- I second cruisemom on Delphi. Sounio is in a lovely setting and it is best at sunset, but that's it. Delphi is wonderful. Maybe you should plan on three full days in Athens before your cruise. One day for Athens, one for Delphi and one for Corinth and Mycenae. For your day in Athens, do not fail to go to the National Archaeological Museum. That's where the "treasures" are.

Excellent above comments and follow-up from marazul that came in just as I was posting a reply to cruisemom. Agree that the National Archaeological Museum is very good. We visited there in 2006 and saw how the Romans had "stolen" so many wonderful design styles and traditions from the Greeks to make those in Italy look so creative. Glad to get your seconding of the top priority for doing Delphi.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 223,183 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We are going to Athens for the first time ever and have a one day window for an excursion. To complicate things, we are older travelers with some minor mobility problems so we would really welcome any and all suggestions to see Athens as painlessly as possible. We can certainly walk but climbing up slippery steps is not our favorite - does anyone know how we'd get to the Acropolis elevator?? We've also read numerous horror stories about canned tours that spent all their time crawling through traffic and the travelers saw almost nothing. Advice would be SO welcome!! :D:D

Welcome back (to the Med), Terry.

I found Delphi to be a simply wonderful site. There is a lot more to see there (including a fabulous small museum with some real treasures) than at Cape Sounion, but of course it is a longer drive. If you go, make sure you get an early start to maximize your time at Delphi. For me, much higher on the list than Cape Sounion.

I don't know if you have been to Corinth already, but I'd also recommend it. Closer to Athens the (rarely mentioned) Eleusis is also a very interesting site to visit -- it is the site where the Eleusinian "mysteries" of ancient times were held. (Emperor Hadrian was an enthusiastic initiate and supporter of them...)

We are going to Athens for the first time ever and have a one day window for an excursion. To complicate things, we are older travelers with some minor mobility problems so we would really welcome any and all suggestions to see Athens as painlessly as possible. We can certainly walk but climbing up slippery steps is not our favorite - does anyone know how we'd get to the Acropolis elevator?? We've also read numerous horror stories about canned tours that spent all their time crawling through traffic and the travelers saw almost nothing. Advice would be SO welcome!! :D:D

Excellent questions. Yes, those stone steps going up to the top at the Acropolis can be slick and challenging. See the link below. Lots of details are provided. Not sure as to how your "minor mobility problems" fit with their policies and practices. Hopefully others can share added background. Guides and tours are not all created equally great and perfect. Checking ahead and testing for their "responsive" is the best tip that I can share.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Check this link for what seems good, added info on Acropolis elevator:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189400-c144005/Athens:Greece:Use.Of.The.Acropolis.Elevator.html

Athens is challenging precisely for the reasons you list. The center area (Plaka, the two Agoras [Greek and Roman] and the entire acropolis hill, of course) has mostly been pedestrianized. So it requires a fair amount of walking or some sensible arrangements in advance with a taxi driver (pick ups and drop offs). Possibly the small tourist train that runs through the area would be a possibility? (I've never used it so cannot speak from experience...)

What are the key sites for you, other than the Acropolis?

In order to use the elevator at the Acropolis -- which, by the way, is a bit scary looking as it's a small somewhat open lift that scales up the side of the hill -- it's my understanding that a doctor's note specifying mobility limitations is required and you would need to check with the main ticket office at the entrance to arrange the timing.

In order to use the elevator at the Acropolis -- which, by the way, is a bit scary looking as it's a small somewhat open lift that scales up the side of the hill -- it's my understanding that a doctor's note specifying mobility limitations is required and you would need to check with the main ticket office at the entrance to arrange the timing.

Not always. If the person is visibly impaired, like using a cane or walker, they will be allowed to use the elevator. Hidden problems, like a heart condition, would require a doctor's note.

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend George's Taxi Tours. http://www.taxigreece.com/private-day-trips-from-athens/

BTW - the tholos (round temple) that you show is across the road from the main Delphi temples site. It is worth walking down to it (past the Castalia springs), but the best view is from above as the pictures show.

Of side interest - if you go into the modern town of Delphi for lunch, you will see the bust of Dr Georgios Papanikolau, the inventor of the "Pap test." He was from Delphi.

I highly recommend George's Taxi Tours. http://www.taxigreece.com/private-day-trips-from-athens/

BTW - the tholos (round temple) that you show is across the road from the main Delphi temples site. It is worth walking down to it (past the Castalia springs), but the best view is from above as the pictures show. Of side interest - if you go into the modern town of Delphi for lunch, you will see the bust of Dr Georgios Papanikolau, the inventor of the "Pap test." He was from Delphi.

YES, appreciate this great follow-up and suggestion for using George's Taxi. I had earlier contacted them and am considering using them for that day's tour. Wonderful other details shared. Very helpful. Keep up the excellent ideas, tips, suggestions, insights!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 231,228 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Can't wait to see your new cruise adventure pictures

Appreciate your super kind follow-up and your interest in seeing more fun visuals. Not sure whether you or others might have seen a sampling from our first river boat and initial trip to Southeast Asia. We really loved the Mekong River!! Plus, much more!

Well-pleased with these countries, especially Cambodia, plus the ship, staff, food, tours, etc. On my live/blog, connected below, there are dozens of pictures and many details to document these fun adventures and travels. Happy on the live/blog to answer any and all questions, share more info/background, etc.

Now, we shift our focus and attention to mid November, 2018, for our Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Many options to consider and logistics to research. Keep hearing great things from other travelers about Oceania, the staff, their food, etc. Look forward to comparing Silversea versus Oceania, who has what plus and minus factors, etc.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we experienced and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

• 1 month later...

From the London/UK Sunday Times yesterday, they have this headline: Athens city guide: the Big Weekend with these highlights: Gritty, graffitied yet graceful, Athens is an intoxicating mix of old — very old — and new. Bougainvillea streams from neoclassical buildings, street art coats the walls, and ruins dot the city. Old men sit in retro coffee houses clutching their worry beads and puffing on cigarettes while, next door, in hip bars, the younger, more optimistic people who are driving the post-crisis creative scene sip drinks and ... puff on cigarettes. Athens is a very walkable city but there’s a vast amount to see.

Lots of details, options, etc., to consider for Athens. Interesting pictures are featured, plus a good map, etc. Here are a few more highlights from this profile: "Souvlaki is said to be the oldest fast food in the world — Homer even mentioned it in The Iliad. The Acropolis towers over the city; it’s busy in the morning, but the coachloads disperse by 4pm. Skirt along the side of Syntagma Square — the city’s main square, where the eternal flame burns over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, patrolled by the presidential guard — and get some energy with a scoop (or several) of all-natural lemon-mint sorbet, or fig and mascarpone gelato, from Le Greche, Athens’s hippest dessert spot."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2018-06-10/travel/athens-city-guide-the-big-weekend-c8jmjdptv

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 39,427 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Rent a car in Athens as and spend a week-10 days driving through the Peloponnese. It took three visits to Athens before we did this. Or....get out to Piraeus, hop on a ferry, and visit some of the smaller islands that the cruise lines do not visit. You will see a different Greece!

Rent a car in Athens as and spend a week-10 days driving through the Peloponnese. It took three visits to Athens before we did this. Or....get out to Piraeus, hop on a ferry, and visit some of the smaller islands that the cruise lines do not visit. You will see a different Greece!

Agree with these excellent suggestions and appreciate this mention of the Peloponnese and the wonderful smaller Greek Isles. In 2006 during our first visit to Greece and initialtime doing a cruise, we did do a one-day, private tour circling of the Peloponnese, Then for our sailing stops, we did Mykonos (and Elia Beach), Patmos and Milos. All three islands were very interesting with different options. In November 2018, we will depart Athens and then visit Patmos, Rhodes and Cyprus (only half Greek, maybe?), before our two-day stop to visit Jerusalem.

From the London/UK Sunday Times tomorrow morning, they will have this headline: The best beaches in Greece with one of these highlighted islands: Mykonos is home to several great beaches, most of them massive party places such as the trio of Parga, Paradise and Super Paradise. Elia Beach up the coast is just as beautiful, just as gay-friendly, but slightly more upmarket and less frenzied." Wish that either Patmos or Rhodes had beaches on this top ten listing. But, maybe on Patmos, there will be a nice beach option to visit there as in 2006, we had previously visited the main religious site that is famed for this island.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/the-best-beaches-in-greece-s7fqvj7nb

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

We read the articles about the best beaches in Greece.

But the best beach according to the writers may not be the one that you enjoy the most or remember. On many islands there are clusters of very small and very picturesque beaches that may not make any list. Same in Turkey.

Some of our favourite beach locations in the Med are along the Turkish coast below the roads above. Same for some Greek Islands and Crete.

We typically avoid the restaurants that are recommended by Rick Steves etc. By the time we get there they are inundated with people like us. We tend to walk a few blocks in from the main drag, find a place that does not have multilingual menus, and one that is full of locals. In many places you can see the food in the displays or you can even go into the kitchen and be shown what is on the menu for that day.

Wow Terry your cruise sounds great, different ports! Though November may be too cool for beaches.

Iancal, you make me giggle, we too avoid Rick Steve’s recommendations after our splurge on Lake Como was ruined by loud neighbours.

Wow Terry your cruise sounds great, different ports! Though November may be too cool for beaches.

Appreciate the wonderful follow-ups above and also from iancal. YES, November 2018 might not be too good or warm for while we will be in Patmos, etc. Will do more research and prep. Will still bring a bathing suit if we get lucky for the Greek Isles and/or while in the Middle East areas.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 204,770 views for this posting.

From yesterday's New York Times Travel Section, they had this headline: Athens, Rising with these highlights: The city has endured crisis and chaos, and yet is now emerging from the wreckage.

Nice to read such positive coverage about Athens. In recent years, coverage was challenging for Greece. Now, some good news. Here are some more highlights from this story: "Athens is a city I’ve watched shift and evolve, endure crisis and chaos and economic collapse, and yet emerge from the wreckage as one of the continent’s most vibrant and significant cultural capitals, more popular than ever as a tourist destination. (Last year Athens welcomed a record 5 million visitors, double the 2012 figure.) The downgrading of Greece’s credit rating in 2009 kicked off a series of tough austerity measures that crippled the economy. There are the major public arts institutions, which were either donated to the state by private philanthropic organizations or funded before the crisis, in part with foreign money: the spectacular, largely European Union-funded Acropolis Museum, opened in 2009, that rises next to the Acropolis like a glass-and-concrete mirror image; the Onassis Cultural Center, which opened in 2010 and the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, a Renzo Piano-designed cultural complex, completed in 2016."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/travel/athens-after-the-economic-crisis.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. Now at 21,007 views. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph earlier this week, they had this headline: 20 secrets of the Greek islands with these highlights: “Each of the Greek islands is its own universe, from far-flung retreats to cosmopolitan resorts.

Finding the perfect one is a challenge. There are 6,000 Greek islands, broadly divided into six geographical groups, plus Crete. The best-known islands are the Cyclades, with their chalk-white villages, blue-domed chapels and seaside tavernas strung with garlands of sun-dried octopus.

Details were provided on twenty different Greek Islands. In 2006, in addition to Athens and the Peloponnesian Peninsula, we made stops for Mykonos, Patmos and Milos. All different and interesting. Later in November 2018, when we sail from Athens to Dubai, we will have stops at Patmos and Rhodes. Wish we were stopping at scenic Santorini, etc. Lots to see and in Greece and especially for their scenic islands.

For Mykonos and nearby Delos, this newspaper profile noted: "Lawrence Durrell called Delos 'the Wall Street of the ancient world'. Once the epicentre of the Cyclades, Mykonos was once no more than a staging post for those en route to Delos; now, fewer than 10 per cent of travellers to Mykonos make the half-hour pilgrimage to the Unesco World Heritage site."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/greece/articles/secrets-of-the-greek-islands/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 57,411 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a quick hint on how to get there. Fly to the island of Leros instead of Kos or Samos. Then take the ferry from there. Leros is between Kos and Patmos (closer to Patmos) and the same ferry from Kos stops there on the way to/from Patmos.

Only a quick hint on how to get there. Fly to the island of Leros instead of Kos or Samos. Then take the ferry from there. Leros is between Kos and Patmos (closer to Patmos) and the same ferry from Kos stops there on the way to/from Patmos.

Appreciate this above helpful follow-up for getting to Patmos.

From the AP newswire in the Vancouver newspaper this morning, they have this headline: Forest fire burns west of Athens, residents flee on mopeds with these highlights: A swift-moving forest fire burned through a mountainous area west of Athens on Monday, prompting residents to flee as smoke from the blaze turned the sky over the Greek capital a hazy orange. Authorities were sending 17 firefighting vehicles from across Greece to bolster forces already in the area, but strong winds with frequently shifting gusts were hampering firefighting efforts. Hours after the blaze began, flecks of ash swirled down onto central Athens.

Full story at:

https://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/residents-flee-forest-fire-near-greek-capital-of-athens/wcm/610b5d77-0c2f-46b5-8dad-df75e645d4db

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 40,376 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the AP newswire in the Vancouver newspaper this morning, they have this headline: Forest fire burns west of Athens, residents flee on mopeds with these highlights: A swift-moving forest fire burned through a mountainous area west of Athens on Monday, prompting residents to flee as smoke from the blaze turned the sky over the Greek capital a hazy orange. Authorities were sending 17 firefighting vehicles from across Greece to bolster forces already in the area, but strong winds with frequently shifting gusts were hampering firefighting efforts. Hours after the blaze began, flecks of ash swirled down onto central Athens.

Full story at:

https://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/residents-flee-forest-fire-near-greek-capital-of-athens/wcm/610b5d77-0c2f-46b5-8dad-df75e645d4db

The fires look horrific and are being called the worst in a decade.

I remember being in Athens and doing some day trips out into the surrounding areas about 5-6 years ago - my driver pointed out huge blackened areas that were the result of the previous year's bad fires. These seem to be even more dangerous -- perhaps closer to where people are living.

The fires look horrific and are being called the worst in a decade. I remember being in Athens and doing some day trips out into the surrounding areas about 5-6 years ago - my driver pointed out huge blackened areas that were the result of the previous year's bad fires. These seem to be even more dangerous -- perhaps closer to where people are living.

Appreciate this added background and follow-up from cruisemom42. Sadly, from CBS News this morning within the past 90 minutes, they had this headline: Dozens killed as fires rage around Athens with these highlights: Twin wildfires raging through popular seaside areas near the Greek capital have torched homes, cars and forests and killed at least 60 people, raising the death toll after rescue crews reported finding the bodies of more than 20 people huddled together near a beach. CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reports the fires are the worst Greece has seen since 2007.

With this many killed, it is really shocking. Just saw a story on a national cable news network about this terrible situation. Also in this CBS story: "Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras declared three days of national mourning for those killed by the fires. The Greek coast guard and passing boats picked up more than 700 people who'd fled to the water's edge to try and escape the flames and choking smoke."

Full story at:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/athens-greece-fires-dozens-dead-beaches-kineta-rafina-today-live-updates-2018-07-24/

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,550 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

The fires are in the area of Rafina on the East coast of the peninsula - right across from Athens and about 45 minutes away. It is also densely populated in the summertime because of its beaches and summer homes and hotels. Of concern for travelers is that it is not far from the ATH airport. So far, there are no notices of flights being affected by the smoke or fire in the immediate area.

There is a second area of fires near Kineta, west of Athens and very near Corinth. A 20 km section of the road from Athens to Corinth and the Peloponnese was closed for a few hours. Let's hope the fires are contained before more devastation happens.

Here is a link to the English version of the Kathimerini newspaper.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/

Edited by marazul