Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

On 8/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, Copper10-8 said:

The four HAL Vista's came out with a faux fireplace in their Oak Rooms (starboard side of/behind the Crow's Nest). This is Noordam's 

HAL NODM Oak Room Deck 10 #2.jpg

On 8/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, Copper10-8 said:

The four HAL Vista's came out with a faux fireplace in their Oak Rooms (starboard side of/behind the Crow's Nest). This is Noordam's 

HAL NODM Oak Room Deck 10 #2.jpg

Those Oak Rooms were very nice for our smaller group get togethers.  Is Noordam's still there?

Edited by St Pete Cruiser

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Great!  Noordam, the newest of the Vista's, seems to be the more original.  I think it missed a major drydock or two.

I think you are correct.  Somehow, that room missed the "scalpel" of alternation of that area of the ship.  Really, I never quite understood the reasoning why the Oak Room was initially incorporated into the vessel.  

22 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Royal Viking Line's Royal Viking Star (1974-current) She was also NCL's Westward and, since 1996, has been operating as Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line. Fred Olsen just recently announced that 2020 will be this ship's last year with the line, four years short of a 40-year career

Royal Viking Line (Norway - Defunct) - Royal Viking Star (now Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line).jpg

And, the former Royal Viking Sky, Fred. Olsen's Boudicca will also be removed from their fleet.  

• Like 1

Our first cruise was on the SS Amerikanis of Chandris Cruise Line in February 1976. We sailed on her for a seven day Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. It was a wonderful experience. Our second cruise was on the SS Norway a few years later.

2 hours ago, MrVacation said:

Our first cruise was on the SS Amerikanis of Chandris Cruise Line in February 1976. We sailed on her for a seven day Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. It was a wonderful experience. Our second cruise was on the SS Norway a few years later.

Chandris Line's Amerikanis (1952-2001) Built as Kenya Castle for the London-based Union Castle Line. She went to Chandris as Amerikanis in 1967 and operated for them until 1996 incl. four years chartered to Costa Crociere (no name change under Chandris ownership) and ultimately was scrapped at Alang, India in 2001

Chandris Line (Greece - Defunct) - Amerikanis (Scrapped at Alang, India 2001).jpg

Ahhh ... the Amerikanis - the “ cruise bus” experience in the early ‘90’s and one of the most memorable cruises we ever took!

The lower decks on that ship evoked ‘das boat’ due to the loud and rhythmical chugging of the engines.  We were on one of the higher decks in a cabin in the outside position that had a curtained window (not a port hole) with a solid bulkhead six inches outside of the window.  The bathroom was larger than the cabin. 

I remember the fireplace which they they did not use in the Caribbean.  Entertainment was absolutely fantastic. Best night was in heavy seas and one of the entertainers (a former Cirque de Soliel clown) did the whole show by himself on a unicycle. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, Tennessee Titan said:

Townsville Star (British mutton ship) Panama Canal Transit 1975.....

Townsville Star (1957-1980) Built at the Bremer-Vulkan Werft (shipyard) in Bremen-Vegesack, (then) West Germany for British passenger and cargo shipping company Blue Star Line as a refrigerated cargo ship "reefer." She made several voyages from London to Port Adelaide, South Australia. Townsville Star was broken up in August 1980 at the Nan Long Steel & Iron Company in Kaohsiung, Taiwan

1889442.jpg

On 8/26/2020 at 8:47 AM, KidCruze said:

Celebrity Mercury around the '97-'99 time frame. 7 days. Vancouver to Alaska. I loved the cruise but don't waste an Alaska trip on a 10-12 year old. I didn't appreciate it then, but I had a great time in the arcade. 

Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Mercury (1997-current) Came out as Mercury for Celebrity Cruises. Renamed Celebrity Mercury in 2008. In 2011 she was transferred to German TUI (Touristik Union International) Cruises as Mein Schiff (My Ship)  and in 2019 they renamed her Mein Schiff Herz (My Ship Heart)

Celebrity Cruises (USA - Subsidiary of RCI) - Celebrity Mercury (now Mein Schiff Herz for TUI Cruises).jpg

2 hours ago, Mickb said:

Our first cruise was a 2 day cruise to nowhere from Southampton on the beautiful Queen Elizabeth 2. It gave us the bug and we have since completed 17 Cruises with Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, RSSC,

Queen Elizabeth 2 (1969-current) "QE2" operated for Cunard Line from 1969 until 2008. Ten years later in April 2018 and after an extensive refurbishment, she opened up as a floating hotel at Port Mina Rashid, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Cunard Line (UK) - Queen Elizabeth 2 (laid up at Port Mina Rashid, Dubai, United Arab Emirates).jpg

My first cruise was in 1983 on NCL on the Norway back in the glory days of cruising.  It was a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  You had fixed sitting for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Our waiter had time to do magic tricks for us every day with matches and silverware, and do napkin folding.  The grand Midnight buffet lined both sides of the promenade deck with food and all sorts of ornate food carvings.  A Norwegian boy's choir gave performances in one of the grand rooms.  There was a very strict dress code of casual, then sportcoats and dresses, and then formals.  I was instantly hooked! I fell in love with fixed seating, and the late dinner seating.

• Like 1

Our first cruise ship in 1987 was the Costa Daphne.  She was built in about 1956 as a refrigerated carrier.  After being converted to a cruise ship, she sailed with Costa along with her sister ship, the Costa Dannae.  Later, they were sold to various cruise lines.  I believe the Daphne went to the breakers several years ago.

It was a memorable cruise, even if we did not get any of our luggage until day 3.  In spite, of a rocky start, we were hooked, and 110 or so cruises later, we are still hooked.

10 hours ago, sambamama said:

You had fixed sitting for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

On our first cruise (1995) with a square dance club,  I would walk the deck and grab a croissant or two and juice at the pastry bar rather than have a full breakfast in the dining room. However, on the next to last day, we had an early excursion that dropped us off at St. John to tour the national park while the ship went to St. Thomas. I had no time for my walk, so took my assigned place for breakfast. That caused a slight problem: The waiter had become accustomed to bringing just the number and kinds of pastries the others ate. He had to return to the kitchen when I took the only croissants on the tray. And of course, I wanted a juice that none of the others ordered.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Townsville Star (1957-1980) Built at the Bremer-Vulkan Werft (shipyard) in Bremen-Vegesack, (then) West Germany for British passenger and cargo shipping company Blue Star Line as a refrigerated cargo ship "reefer." She made several voyages from London to Port Adelaide, South Australia. Townsville Star was broken up in August 1980 at the Nan Long Steel & Iron Company in Kaohsiung, Taiwan

1889442.jpg

A little history. The Canal cruisers don't see. Gatun Lock drained for maintenance. Some very young cruisers....

PICT0001-2.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

Edited by Tennessee Titan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first cruise was on Carnival’s Festivale. 

Interestingly, several years later, I cruised with Dolphin Cruise Line on the Island Breeze and the ship felt very familiar. It wasn’t until I talked to an officer I learned it was formerly the Festivale.