Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Copper 10-8, Thanks for posting the Jungle Cruise photo.  One of the things that struck me in AMYR's original post was the fireplace in what appeared to be the lounge.  I can't even imagine a working fireplace anywhere on a cruise ship, or any ship, today.  Thanks again,  Cherie

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cccole said:

Copper 10-8, Thanks for posting the Jungle Cruise photo.  One of the things that struck me in AMYR's original post was the fireplace in what appeared to be the lounge.  I can't even imagine a working fireplace anywhere on a cruise ship, or any ship, today.  Thanks again,  Cherie

The Ocean Princess, which now belongs to Oceana and is called Sirena, had a beautiful library with a fireplace.  Not sure if it was a working fireplace, though.

P1000273 (640x480).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cccole said:

The four HAL Vista's came out with a faux fireplace in their Oak Rooms (starboard side of/behind the Crow's Nest). This is Noordam's 

HAL NODM Oak Room Deck 10 #2.jpg

3 hours ago, tonyd285 said:

First cruise was on the Carla Costa (operated by the Costa family back then).  Old ship (I think it was built in the 50's), primitive by today's standards but reasonably well maintained.  The dining room was staffed by experienced Italian waiters, all of whom had a great sense of humor.  That was back in the late 70's.

Costa Crociere's Carla Costa (1952-1974)  Built as Flandre for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique aka The French Line.  She was initially named "Carla C." for Costa, then renamed as Carla Costa. She also went to the Greek Epirotiki Line as Pallas Athena before being scrapped at Aliaga, Turkey in 1974

Costa Crociere S.p.A.-Costa Cruises (Italy) - Carla Costa (scrapped in 1994).jpg

Thanks USN59-79 and Copper10-8 for the photos.  I hope the fireplaces at least have something that resembles a fire when on a cold weather itinerary.  I just thought the photo AMYR posted looked like a real burning fire.  And, from what she said about the crossing it would have been a very welcome spot.  We had a home that was built in the 30's with 3 fireplaces.  All had beautiful mantles but none were up to building codes.  We put electric fire logs in them and at least had the appearance of a fire.  The luxury of a real fire on a transatlantic cruise or other cold weather itineraries is probably just a part of history now.  Thanks again,  Cherie

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

General Steam Navigation Company of Greece aka The Greek Line's Olympia (1953-2009)

Visiting a friend who was sailing on Olympia, I still remember of the olive oil odor that had been absorbed by her wood work. 

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

ss Independence (1951-2010)

Sailed on her when American Hawaii Cruises were in operation.  As a "not so young ship", she had some unusual oddities, but her crew and she provided an excellent 7 day Hawaiian cruise.

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

ocieta Italiana Trasporti Marittimi aka Sitmar Cruises' Fairwind (1957-2004), born as Cunard Line's Sylvania

Fairwind was a gem.  Surely showed her age in some ways, but the Italian ambiance was evident and enjoyed.  We had a stateroom that was not a suite, but it was the largest stateroom that we had experienced.  Her previous role as a trans-Atlantic liner with more days at sea than during a Caribbean cruise was apparent.  We had more closets in our stateroom than we could use during a 10 day cruise.  

I miss Sitmar.  I really do.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Has she ever sailed as Carnival Radiance?

She has been in dry-dock at Navantia in Cadiz, Spain since March for her $200 Million upgrade and name change (still there today, no doubt delayed due to Corona) so the answer is No, Senor, she has not yet sailed as Radiance

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Sailed on her when American Hawaii Cruises were in operation.  As a "not so young ship", she had some unusual oddities, but her crew and she provided an excellent 7 day Hawaiian cruise.

Fairwind was a gem.  Surely showed her age in some ways, but the Italian ambiance was evident and enjoyed.  We had a stateroom that was not a suite, but it was the largest stateroom that we had experienced.  Her previous role as a trans-Atlantic liner with more days at sea than during a Caribbean cruise was apparent.  We had more closets in our stateroom than we could use during a 10 day cruise.  

I miss Sitmar.  I really do.  

Would you be so kind as to not refer to me as "Shirley?" Much obliged!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Would you be so kind as to not refer to me as "Shirley?" Much obliged!

Whenever anyone uses the word "surely" in response to my husband he says the same thing.  Funny how some things from movies are such a part of our lives.  Cherie

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, DFD1 said:

For me, she was the quintessential definition of an elegant ship. Really beautiful and great fun to sail on.

When the Norway visited Amsterdam in the early 80’s , some friends and I went to the locks in IJmuiden when she sailed out to sea again. At that time you could still stand on the locks . We actually touched the Norway and got talking to a crewmember when he opened a porthole. He threw us a few cans of beer . His colleague in a neighboring porthole thought a moonface was a fitting way to say goodbye to the Netherlands .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, FlaMariner said:

I think I've answered this before..........

Carnival Mardi Gras....the original Carnival ship.  1989.....moved UP to HAL in 2003 on the Zaandam and it has been Holland America every since.......Savor the journey......

Carnival Cruise Line's Mardi Gras (1961-2003) She came out originally as Empress of Canada for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd for their trans-Atlantic Liverpool to Montreal, Quebec service (Saint John, NB when the Saint Lawrence was frozen up in the winter and she was unable to reach Montreal as a result). In 1972, Ted Arison bought her for his startup cruise line Carnival, and she became their first ship until ms Carnivale made an appearance and stayed with the line until 1993. The CP logo was reworked/updated as the first (and still current) logo for Carnival  Cruise Line. She was sold for scrap in 2003 and was broken up at Alang, India later that year

Carnival Cruise Line - Mardi Gras (scrapped Alang, India 2003) #2.jpg

Empress of France June 1953, Liverpool to Montreal. In the days of classes and shared bathrooms. .  We were privileged to have our own bathroom.  1st class, company payed.    Grandparents visited on Empress of Canada 1961.  

18 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

Royal Viking Star in  summer of1974. I was 13 ,and loved it!!!  Second cruise  I  went on was in late 1979, again on Royal Viking Star, to Mexico, Both  out of my homeport of Los Angeles 🙂

Royal Viking Line's Royal Viking Star (1974-current) She was also NCL's Westward and, since 1996, has been operating as Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line. Fred Olsen just recently announced that 2020 will be this ship's last year with the line, four years short of a 40-year career

Royal Viking Line (Norway - Defunct) - Royal Viking Star (now Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line).jpg

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, USN59-79 said:

The Ocean Princess, which now belongs to Oceana and is called Sirena, had a beautiful library with a fireplace.  Not sure if it was a working fireplace, though.

P1000273 (640x480).jpg

Remember the lovely libraries on the small Princess ships. Spent a number of days/nights on them and this was such a peaceful spot. So sorry they are gone as are so many other small ships...........and, I' pretty certain that the fireplace did not work, unless it was electronically lit somehow. Don't ever remember it being lit in any form............

12 hours ago, highscar said:

Empress of France June 1953, Liverpool to Montreal. In the days of classes and shared bathrooms. .  We were privileged to have our own bathroom.  1st class, company payed.    Grandparents visited on Empress of Canada 1961.  

Canadian Pacific Steamships Ocean Services Ltd. Empress of France (1928-1960) Started life as the Duchess of Bedford for CP and, after serving during World War II as a troopship, was renamed Empress of France (1947) serving the Liverpool to Montreal, Quebec route. She met her end at the breakers at Newport, Wales in 1960

Canadian Pacific Steamships Ocean Services Ltd. (Canada - Defunct) - Empress of France 2 (scrapped Newport, Wales 1960).jpg

My first "cruise' was an overnighter from Helsinki to Stockholm in July 2000. First real cruise, wife and I, was 14 day Australia/New Zealand on Celebrity Century 2012. First HAL cruise was Sydney/Singapore 12/2012 on Volendam. I was surprised at how alike these two ships were in size and layout.

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Royal Viking Line's Royal Viking Star (1974-current) She was also NCL's Westward and, since 1996, has been operating as Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line. Fred Olsen just recently announced that 2020 will be this ship's last year with the line, four years short of a 40-year career

Royal Viking Line (Norway - Defunct) - Royal Viking Star (now Black Watch for Fred Olsen Cruise Line).jpg

Fond memories of this ship  Especially for my Mom. .Both times  that  cruised on the Star, her I was a young teenager and then a late teenager in winter in late 1979.. My love of cruising started pretty young for me ,at   13 and 18/19 xxxooo to this much loved cruise line and to all three of their ships(The Star, Sun , an Sky) and ship

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

Remember the lovely libraries on the small Princess ships. Spent a number of days/nights on them and this was such a peaceful spot. So sorry they are gone as are so many other small ships...........and, I' pretty certain that the fireplace did not work, unless it was electronically lit somehow. Don't ever remember it being lit in any form............

We were on Azamara Journey and it had the same library.  Very nice room to set and relax with a book.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) ss Norway (1960-2007), a classic lady. She was built as the ss France for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique 

2977956.jpg

Such a beauty!  Thanks for posting this picture.  The Norway and I have a history...10/11/81 she was my first cruise; two years later on 11/8/83 I met my husband in Dazzles; 10/13/84 we honeymooned on her; and several years later we took our kids on her for their first cruise.   Lots of wonderful memories for me.

• Like 1

P&O SS Arcadia. San Francisco to Manila. July 25 to August 17, 1960. For me it was a cruise, but it was transportation for my parents. Back before air travel was common. There was a cohort of English, on subsidized emigration to Australia. Second class was not luxurious, but we had a lot of promenade space. 24 days for $431 each. P%26O%20Arcadia%202nd%20Class%20Cabin%20Four-Berth.jpgP%26O%20Arcadis%201954-79%20b.jpgP%26O%20Arcadis%201954-79%20c.jpg

Sent from my SM-T720 using Forums mobile app