Maho Beach plane schedule

LounVal

It should also probably be mentioned that, in instances where two planes are scheduled to arrive at exactly the same minute, it generally means two airlines are code-sharing... not that two planes are coming in together. Air France and Alitalia are an example of that. It does make the board look much fuller to list them both though!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question...but I don't have any idea...

How do you know which planes are the "big" planes? If you check the sites before you leave and see the planes listed, how do you determine if these are the big planes?

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question...but I don't have any idea...

How do you know which planes are the "big" planes? If you check the sites before you leave and see the planes listed, how do you determine if these are the big planes?

Most of the ones listed on the board are the larger jets. There is a near-constant stream of "puddle jumpers" and propellor planes coming in from other Caribbean islands that are not listed on the surfboard.

The REALLY large ones are the ones coming in from Europe: Air France/Alitalia (codesharing), Corsair, KLM. American airlines can be almost as large (although they no longer use the 747's) but several of the others - Delta, US Air, Jet Blue, Insel, are about the size of the Continental jet in the above picture. Not a small plane, but not one of the monsters either.

Most of the ones listed on the board are the larger jets. There is a near-constant stream of "puddle jumpers" and propellor planes coming in from other Caribbean islands that are not listed on the surfboard.

The REALLY large ones are the ones coming in from Europe: Air France/Alitalia (codesharing), Corsair, KLM. American airlines can be almost as large (although they no longer use the 747's) but several of the others - Delta, US Air, Jet Blue, Insel, are about the size of the Continental jet in the above picture. Not a small plane, but not one of the monsters either.

So you are saying the one's listed on the site given (http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/) is only going to list the big planes? They don't list the little ones coming in? Or I just have to look for the planes you mentioned on there.

So you are saying the one's listed on the site given (http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/) is only going to list the big planes? They don't list the little ones coming in? Or I just have to look for the planes you mentioned on there.

No. The planes listed on the surfboard at the bar are the big ones. The airport site will list all of them. Liat uses small planes. Winair uses puddle jumpers. Anything coming in from a neighboring island other than San Juan PR is going to be a small plane. Some coming in from San Juan are a little larger than others, but most of them appear to be the American Eagle propeller plane variety. The airport list shows origin. That gives you a very good idea of size.... Saba certainly couldn't handle a large jet airliner; on the other hand, they're not sending six people in a puddle jumper from Paris.

• 4 years later...

Hey we got in early and walk to maho village which is right new the planes all the big planes take off after 12:30 so we stumbled into a mexican restaurant called 3 amigos around 11 am , the bartender offered us $20 open bar which was a special for cruise ship passengers ! We had frozen margaritas, pina coladas. What a bargain , we went to see the planes and came to get refills at 3 amigos all day, then took a cab in front of the hotel and got to the ship a little tipsy but on time.

The bar at Maho has a surf board sign listing what time the planes are coming and going and the type of plane. Is there somewhere you can get that info before getting to St Maarten to help plan your day??

We stopped there first on our last visit and didn't see any large jets. I'm seeing posts that say the big jets start more in the early afternoon.

That surf board has never been accurate in my experience.

That surf board has never been accurate in my experience.

I have found the surfboard to be pretty accurate with the exception of a plane or two arriving early or delayed a little bit. I believe you responded to a 2009 post. The schedule below is pretty accurate.

The flight schedule below is only for a 24 hour period. When it get closer to your sail date, a week before, check the schedule below on the *day* you will arrive. So if you arrive on a Wednesday, check the Wednesday prior to arrival and you'll see all the arrivals and departures times for each airline.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

The planes at Maho Beach are the highlight of my cruise. I felt disappointed to see that more than 6 cruise ships were going to be in port that day, including Oasis of the Seas & Celebrity Reflection. I've only been on a few cruises, but it seems to me that the beach will be crowded with many people. Are there any suggestions for the the best way to see the planes? I envision my DH & I standing for 3 hours in the sun because of space. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks for your help. I feel better already and can't wait to plane spot!! I've wanted to do this for 20 years at least. All I need is a chair, shade, a drink and the planes. Glad I can get food and the beach included in my special day!!! Less than 6 weeks away.:cool:

Thanks for your help. I feel better already and can't wait to plane spot!! I've wanted to do this for 20 years at least. All I need is a chair, shade, a drink and the planes. Glad I can get food and the beach included in my special day!!! Less than 6 weeks away.:cool:

Just be aware that there's no shade at Maho unless you are over at Sunset and under one of the umbrella's eating/drinking their food. ;)

Just be aware that there's no shade at Maho unless you are over at Sunset and under one of the umbrella's eating/drinking their food. ;)

Your correct there is no shade on the beach Maho, there's umbrellas you can rent on the beach for shade. You don't have to eat and drink at Sunset to rent the beach umbrellas. And yes, you can eat and drink at Sunset under their umbrellas.

The first time I went to Maho was a multi-ship day and we were sitting on the concrete barrier among many, many people looking at the folks all comfy in their beach chairs and umbrellas.

Two years later I drove my friends crazy to make sure we were the first ones OFF of the ship. This was in May of this year. When we got to the Sunset Bar the man who sets up the chairs was not even there. It was barely 8:30AM. So we proceeded to have a really nice breakfast at the Bar. Needless to say we got great seats and an equally great show. It was so fun we are going over Thanksgiving for 8 days and staying at the hotel on the opposite side from the Sunset Bar. I converted all of my friends into plane gurus. The best advice is to go very early. It was so worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
I know the feeling of having 6 ships in port. My advise is to get to Maho as early as possible. We get 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20 and hang out on the beach for a few hours. The Sunset Bar and Grill is right there on the beach where you can also hang out and have lunch and drinks.

Where can I check how many ships will be in port?

Also, I am planning on leaving the ship at around 10am to Maho, would this be a good time or should I leave earlier than that?

What is the best way to get to Maho from the cruise port, and what's the cost?

TIA!

You might want to read through this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1171430

I read it and found alot of useful information for our upcominf trip to St. maarten and getting to and from the port to Maho.

Hope it helps!

Where can I check how many ships will be in port?

Also, I am planning on leaving the ship at around 10am to Maho, would this be a good time or should I leave earlier than that?

I use the official Port of St. Maarten Cruise Facility website for ship schedules.

Heading to Maho at 10:00 sounds pretty perfect to me.

gary

What is the best way to get to Maho from the cruise port, and what's the cost?

TIA!

You can walk 20 mins into town and take a bus for $2 to Maho Beach. Or you can take a taxi at the pier to Maho. Taxi cost for 2 people is $18, 3-5 people $9 pp and 5 or more $7 pp, one way. Plenty of taxis at the beach to take you back to the ship.

Just a couple of FYI's..

1. flights (especially from europe) can (and often) arrive early! The last time we were there one of the big boys was almost an hour early.

2. the "insel air" takeoffs are the best! they throttle up the engines and sit for a long time before actually moving. It makes some good shots of people and belongings getting flung into the water (belongings flung...people running in to get away from the blowing sandstorm)...One of the times there was a backpack 30 or so yards into the water, along with what must have been 10 pairs of flip-flops scattered all over!