Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Hope this information will help in your planning.

FOOD: For lunch, you have smorebrod (buttered bread). This is a ½ cut size of a piece of rye bread. This bread is very dense, and cut to about 1/8 inch. A thin layer of butter is spread on the bread. On top of this buttered bread you can put anything you want, hence you may have noticed the name of this sandwich, smorebrod, is very similar to smorgasbord. Common toppings to this sandwich are something like liverwurst, called lieverpostej. I now love the stuff, but it is not something most Americans would choose. Other common food toppings are simply sliced hard boiled eggs, fish, a kind of grilled hamburger, a shrimp salad, ham, sausage, vegetables like cucumbers, sliced meats like roast beef, and the previous evening’s leftovers. The bakeries in Denmark are the best. Just try anything, it’s all good. A lot of pastry items contain the almond paste known as marzipan which is really delicious. Also, simple fresh bread from the bakery, with butter, is a favorite of mine. Seems simple, but I never managed to treat myself to bread from the bakery, but I recall it being a delicacy to me.

There are two castles that are a definite must, and easy to do, in Frederiskborg castle in Hillerod, and Kronborg castle in Helsingor. Frederiksborg is by far the most beautiful castle in all of Denmark. Web site link to view the castle. http://wictor.dk/wictor/frederiksborg/autofrb.html If the address or link does not work, just search under frederiksborg web cam on your engine browser. The other, Kronborg, is the one used as the setting in Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Both castles can be done in one day. It’s very simple to take a train from Copenhagen to Hillerod, about a 30 min. ride. Then take a short walk through the town from the train station, and take a self tour through Frederiksborg castle. Or, you could take a taxi; the castle is not far from the station.

Afterwards, you can walk back to the train station and take a train to Helsingor. From the station there, you can easily see Kronborg and walk to the castle, about a 20 min. walk. Once you exit the train station in Helsingor, you can see the castle; it's about a 15-20 min. walk. When you buy your entrance ticket, be sure to also get a ticket for the casemates, if I recall, this was an extra cost. There is also a maritime museum, make sure you see everything, the castle, the casemates, and the maritime museum. Web site to Kronborg http://www.kronborgcastle.com/html/frame/frame.htm

In Helsingor, be sure to get ice cream on a street called Brostraede, its right by the train station. Simply go out the main station doors, turn a slight left, and look for an alley named Brostraede. It should all be in view from the train station. There will probably be flags hanging off the outside wall, down in the alley. Brostraede is essentially a small alley, no cars. The ice cream shop is on the right side of the alley, it’s very small in size, but well known to all the Danes. Get the ice cream in a hand made waffle cone, and be sure to ask for the whipped cream and chocolate covered cream ball on top, and topped with strawberry preserve.

Also, next to the Helsingor train station, is the ferry to Helsingborg, Sweden. If you had time, you could take the ferry over to Helsingborg and walk around. I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but there is noting specific to see in Helsingborg, but going there would simply add to your adventure. Actually, there is some kind of old building or fort, I think it’s called a “Keep” but it's relatively small, but certainly something to see and do while there. Also, you could take a train south to Lund, Sweden, not far from Malmo. Unfortunately, I've never been to Lund, but a Danish friend says it's a very nice town. From there, when finished sightseeing, you can take the train back over to Copenhagen, which is directly across the water from Malmo, Sweden. I am very keen on doing this as the bridge is relatively new. Previously, I had to take a ferry across, but I understand the bridge is a wonder, and I’d like to travel over it.

Or, from Helsingor, Denmark, you can take the train back to Copenhagen; this will take about an hour. On this train route, there is a stop in Humlebaek, where there is the famous Lousiana museum. It’s a museum of modern art, and defiantly a must if you’re interested in art. Although it’s a nice museum, I don’t recall it being large in size. Maybe I am wrong, but I’d estimate it can be done in an hour. Also, along the way back to Copenhagen, there is a train stop in Klampenborg along the coast, and the station is only a 10 min walk to Dyrehaven (Deer Park.) Here you can catch a horse drawn carriage through some of the park. Odds are you will see antlered deer, wild in the park. Also, this is the same place as Bakken, which is an amusement park, similar to Tivoli. However, where as Tivoli is focused on the beauty of a city park, with restaurants, entertainment, and lights, Bakken is focused more on rides only. It's no Disneyland, Kings Island, or Six Flags, but admittance is free and you can walk around people watching. I admit, going to Hillerod, Helsingor, Helsingborg-Sweden, Humlebaek, and Klampenborg all in one day might be a bit much. Also, I forgot to mention that from Helsingor, you can take another train to the town of Gilleleje. It's a popular place for Danes to visit on the north shore of the island for beaches. It is a good place to have lunch, and spend some time on the beach on a sunny day.

Another palace worthy of visiting in the countryside is Fredensborg Palace and Chapel hours from 1 PM – 4:30 PM. The queen actually resides here at certain times of the year. Yes, as I am sure you know, Denmark has a monarchy. It’s even older than the English monarchy, but a lot less formal. The Prince, Crown Prince Frederick, was married last year to a woman from Australia that he met at the Olympics in 2000. The wedding was a very big deal in Denmark, and even made the US National News. I have an email address and name of the Palace Steward for information on tours in English. Although a bus can be taken, I don’t think I’d have the time to do this unless I have a car.

Oh, another place definitely worth visiting, is to take a train to the town of Roskilde, about 30 min. outside of Copenhagen, to visit the Viking Museum, and also the Roskilde Church. I believe I would rate this as a "must do," and plan to go there myself. At the moment, I am thinking on doing this the day the ship arrives back in Copenhagen, where we spend the one night on the ship. The Viking Museum is well worth the visit as well as the Church in town.

Back in Copenhagen, be sure to go up the Round Tower, it’s on another pedestrian street intersecting Strøget. I believe the street is called Kobmagergade, but if I am wrong, basically it's the "other" pedestrian street intersecting Strøget. It’s only about 4-5 stories high, but offers a fantastic view. Doing this takes only about 30 min. or less.

Christainborg palace in Denmark is in the city, and services as the house of Danish Parliament. There are tours conducted in English. Check out the web site for information on English tours. http://www.ses.dk/english.php

Be sure to stop at one of the sidewalk cafes along Nyhavn harbor and enjoy a drink, snack, or lunch. I would recommend catching the harbor canal boat tour from Nyhavn. The tour is conducted in several languages, including English. On the tour is a view of the Little Mermaid. Also, Carlsberg Beer has a brewery tour in Copenhagen if you're interested and have the time. Although it’s in the city, a bus would be required to get there as it’s too far to walk from the general center of the city.

Amalienborg, this is another royal residence in Copenhagen, very close to Nyhavn, and the Little Mermaid statue. Be sure to check out the changing of the guard. If the queen is in residence, the ceremony is more elaborate, if not, it's still interesting. However, I am not thinking she is in residence in the summer months. There is a tour in English on Sat & Sun at 1 pm.

Also, there are English tours available at Rosenborg castle too. Rosenborg is another castle in the city. It’s not a residence for the queen, but a museum. In the “basement” is where the crown jewels are kept.

For lunch in Copenhagen, I recommend eating outside at Peder Oxe, or dining inside for dinner. Or, any café along Nyhavn would be nice. It’s a beautiful setting, and wonderful for people watching.

Tivoli, have dinner there at least one evening, if not more. Fireworks are Saturday and Wednesday. True, it's an amusement park, but it's so much more. There’s entertainment, nearly 30 restaurants, and a beautiful park like setting with a lake, and lights at night. Plus, it's not big, it's easy to get around, very cozy, and a wonderful way to spend an evening. For people who expect or want to compare Tivoli to Disney World or Six Flags, then they are just not getting the point of what Tivoli is about, and missing out on a wonderful evening. Visit Tivoli in the evening, because in my opinion, because it’s just not the same atmosphere in the Day, although still fun.

SHOPPING: Stroget is a mile long shopping street, no cars. I recommend these stores: Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen, Georg Jensen, and Holmegaard Glass. These are all along Strøget, although I think Holmegaard Glass on a street just off Strøget. Denmark is famous for modern design, and these shops will give you the best idea of what Danish modern design is all about. Be sure to ask about buying tax free. There is a way to get back the tax you pay as you leave the country. Any merchant can explain how easy this is to do.

Steve,

Really nice of your to post all that information. We just booked our trip for this summer. Our cruise will be starting in Copenhagen, where we will spend a couple of days, so we appreciated your help in our "research."

The ferry from Helsingor Denmark to Helsingborg Sweden is only about 30 min., not long at all. The ferry terminal in Helsingor is the closest point between Denmark and Sweden, you can easily see Sweden from Helsingor. The ferry terminal is directly next to the train station in Helsingor. From Helsingborg, I do not believe the ferry terminal would be difficult to find. You can ask anyone for assistance and directions, all Swedes and Danes speak excellent English.

In Helsingor there is Kronborg castle, as in Shakespears's "Hamlet," and is about a 20 min. walk. Don't forget to get ice cream in the small alley accross the train station that I wrote about. Ice cream shop, train station, and ferry terminal, they're all right there, 5 min. or less from one to the other. Here is a web site that has the schedule of times from Helsingborg to Helsingor, http://www.hhferries.se/hhferriesx/sid/index_frame1.html For the most part, it looks like there's service every 1/2 hour. The web site it so a ferry company called HH Ferries, but I think there might be a 2nd ferry service too.

Thanks again for the great information.

Questions:

1. How often do the trains run to Hillerod? Is the train ride included in the CPH card? When is the last train back from Hillerod?

2. Roughly how often are the canal tours? When is approx the last tour?

3. Any recommendation for a dinner restaurant inside Tivoli? Are cabs easily available after dinner time outside Tivoli?

4. What is a good website for info about the new CPH metro?

Thanks.

/Sultan

Hope this information will help in your planning.

Both castles can be done in one day. It’s very simple to take a train from Copenhagen to Hillerod, about a 30 min. ride. Then take a short walk through the town from the train station, and take a self tour through Frederiksborg castle. Or, you could take a taxi; the castle is not far from the station.

I would recommend catching the harbor canal boat tour from Nyhavn. The tour is conducted in several languages, including English.

Tivoli, have dinner there at least one evening, if not more. Visit Tivoli in the evening, because in my opinion, because it’s just not the same atmosphere in the Day, although still fun.

1. How often do the trains run to Hillerod? Is the train ride included in the CPH card? When is the last train back from Hillerod?

Hillerod is very easy to get to by train, and there is very frequent service from Copenhagen, I believe 6 trains an hour. The train you want is the S-tog. In Danish, tog is train, and I never knew what the S stood for. The color of the train is red, or at least it used to be. The size and style of train is like that of a subway in New York, or the L in Chicago. You can pick up the S train in a number of Copenhagen train stations. To start, there is the main station, which is Copenhagen’s and the Country’s main train station. Although I always refer to it as the “main” station, it’s really called Hovedbane Garden, or Copenhagen Hovedbane, or in Danish, you’ll see it as Kobenhavn H. So really, for the main station on a map, you want to look for Kobenhavn H. Here, you can catch the S train and many other trains as well. In all other city stations, the stations are all S train stations. In the main station, as well as the other S train stations, the sign to look for is a big red sign with the letter S in the center. The sign kind of looks like a big red stop sign, but with only 6 sides. Anyhow, where you see the big red S sign is where you catch the S train. The other Copenhagen stations are called: Vesterport, Norreport, Osterport, and Nordhavn. These are the four primary stations you’re likely to use, and all are S train stations. The closest train station to the cruise port is Osterport. Train stations closest to Tivoli are Kobenhavn H (main station,) and Vesterport. Station closest to Nyhavn is Norreport station.

Regretfully, I do not know much about the Copenhagen card. I tired to find out more about it on a web site, http://www.copenhagencard.dk/show.asp but unfortunately such detailed information is not provided. It states that the Copenhagen Card provides free train, bus and metro use, but no details on distance one can travel. You’ll have to ask about that when you buy your card. My guess is that it will provide free transportation to Hillerod since Hillerod is part of the S train system. Therefore, my guess is that all S train routes are free with the Copenhagen Card.

For those buying tickets, go to kiosk and buy a clip card. Clip cards are used on both busses and S trains. The clip card used to be good for 10 clips, and more than one person can travel on one clip card. However, if you don’t see yourself using the bus or train that frequently, then maybe an individual ticket might be best. I’d ask at the kiosk for help for what you’ll need, just let them know how much you intend to travel. With your clip card, you simply go down to the train platforms, and just after you enter onto the platform, look for a yellow box on a pedestal. Simply stick your clip card in the slot on the yellow box and a piece of your clip card will be “clipped” off, and a day and time stamped. One clip is sufficient for anywhere in Copenhagen zone. If there are two people traveling together, and you want to use the same clip card, you simply clip twice. I think one clip is good for like 2 or 3 zones. If you travel further out, like to Hillerod, you will have to clip more than once, probably twice. I just don’t remember, you can ask the ticket kiosk, or anyone standing around you for help.

Trains to Hillerod: Whether you’re traveling from Vesterport, Norreport, Osterport, Nordhavn, or Kobenhavn H, there are only two trains you’ll want to take. They are either the A or E train. Do not get on the A+ or Ex, these are express trains and they don’t go to Hillerod, and do not get on anything else, and be sure you’re on the correct platform. Only the A or E trains. Also, you’ll want to make sure your going in the right direction, and since Hillerod is at the end of the A and E trains, you simply take the train that says A Hillerod, or E Hillerod. Trains run every 20 minutes, and are mostly on time. The E train is at the Kobenhavn H station at 45, 5, and 25 minutes after the hour. It arrives in Hillerod at 25, 45, and 5 minutes after the hour. The A train arrives at 35, 55, and 15 minutes after the hour. The A train arrives in Hillerod at 15, 35, and 55 minutes after the hour. Basically, it’s a 43 min. train ride from Vesterport, or 44 min. ride from Kobenhavn H.

I don’t recall why, but when going to Copenhagen, I never got off or on much from the Kobenhavn station, I always used Vesterport. Therefore, I’ll give you Vesterport’s times as well. From Vesterport, the E train arrives at 46, 5, and 25 minutes after the hour. The A train arrives at 36, 56, and 16 minutes after the hour. Arrival on both trains to Hillerod is the same as already stated.

Departures from Hillerod back to Vesterport, Kobenhavn H, or any of the other S train stations operate departures past 11 pm. I am assuming you’re going to Hillerod to see Frederikborg castle, so there should be no problem catching a train back to the city.

2. Roughly how often are the canal tours? When is approx the last tour?

Here is a web site for the canal tours. http://www.canaltours.com There is a link in English. There are two types of boats, one is a guided tour boat, and the other is like a water bus. Both stop in Nyhavn which is where I would prefer catching the guided tour. Nyhavn by the way is small harbor or canal with boats lining the canal. On the north side, the harbor is lined with many cafes. At the beginning of Nyhavn there is an anchor, the ticket booth and guided tour boat are by the anchor. There is a second location where people can get on the guided boat, but I always preferred the location in Nyhavn. The guided tours begin at 10 AM, and run every ½ hour, up to 7:30 PM between June 21 and August 25, and at 5 PM the rest of the year. The tour duration is 50 minutes. Cost is 50 Danish Kroner, the Copenhagen Card appears to offer reduced prices, but I don’t know the discounted price. However, you can email them for further information at canaltours@canaltours.dk

3. Any recommendation for a dinner restaurant inside Tivoli? Are cabs easily available after dinner time outside Tivoli?

Tivoli claims to have about 34 restaurants, but these can range from a hot dog and ice cream stands to regular restaurants. I wish I could make a recommendation for you about restaurants in Tivoli. But unfortunately, I’ve only dined there once of all the times I’ve been there, and I can’t quite remember where it was that we ate. I do know that the entrance to the restaurant was actually from the outside of Tivoli and that it was along the exterior walls of Tivoli, near the main entrance. The restaurant was okay, but personally I would have rather dined inside the park. I wish I knew more about the restaurants, but when I was an exchange student, none of my Danish friends managed to have an interest in eating at one of the many regular restaurants. One building/restaurant that always appeared to be interesting in Tivoli was one called “Den Kinesiske Tarn” (The Chinese Tower, or Chinese Pagoda.) But, although I love Chinese food, I am not sure I’d want Chinese while in Denmark. Instead, I would prefer Danish food. The one I am considering visiting myself is called, “Faergekroen,” (The Ferry Boat Inn.) If I recall, there is outside dining and at this restaurant which overlooks the small lake in the park. Also, it’s supposed to serve traditional Danish cuisine. Plus, I don’t think it would be terribly expensive, as some restaurants can be very costly. Regretfully, that’s all the advice or input I can provide. Your hotel concierge can be of better assistance, and even make reservations, if reservations are required. I would like to add to be sure to get a waffle ice cream cone, have them put whipped cream, and strawberry preserve topping on top, or have the chocolate covered cream ball squished on top. They are excellent.

There should be no problems finding a Taxi around Tivoli in the evening. Tivoli is pretty much in the center of Copenhagen, and at a very central location. To the west, directly across the street, Bernstorffsgade, is the “main” train station. On the opposite side of Tivoli, to the east, across the street, HC Andersons Boulevard is the town square, known as Radhuspladsen. Plus, Tivoli is surrounded by three major and busy streets, two of which I already mentioned, HD Andersons Boulevard & Bernstorffsgate, and the third is Vesterbrogade. I believe there are two entrances to Tivoli, maybe more, but the main entrance is on Vesterbrogade. So yes, taxis should be readily available.

4. What is a good website for info about the new CPH metro?

Maybe I can help you more if I knew specifically what you needed to know. There are two city train transportation systems, the S Tog or S train that I mentioned in your first question, and the Metro itself. The Metro is newer and underground. Since you referred to it as CPH Metro, and CPH is the Copenhagen airport code, I am assuming you’re referring to the train service that goes to the airport. If so, Copenhagen’s Kastrup airport has a web site with some information about the Metro at the airport. The web site address is http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Getting+Here/By+Train hopefully, this site has the information you’re looking for.

I tried to answer your questions as best I could, hope I did okay. Please ask if I left anything out.

Steve:

Thanks for the detailed information. It is exactly what I needed. You should be writing a Copenhagen Travel Guide for Cruisers! We travelled to Eastern Europe last September (2004) on a Trafalgar Coach Tour and I made it a goal to use the Public Transit in each of 5 cities instead of taking the Tour optionals. I discovered that for each city, I had to learn how the transit worked. And even the guide books did not explain. Your answers are perfect! I checked one of your websites and it has a Metro map. Let me know if you visit SF. /Sultan

I found another web site for the Metro in Copenhagen. It looks like the official Metro Web site, and there's an English link. Sorry I didn't find it for you sooner in my original reply to your inquiry. Here is the web site. http://www.m.dk/en/welcome

In reviewing the information on the Copenhagen Metro, it does not appear that you can get from the Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup) to the main train station in Copenhagen, København H station, using the Metro. There is train service which runs every 20 min. from the airport, and takes about 20 min to get to the main station, but it does not "appear" to be the Metro that gets you there, nor is it the S-train, but there is service via train to the city. Details can be given at the airport ticket office for further information. Here is an airport link with information to get you started http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Getting+Here/By+Train

COPENHAGEN

· Shopping on Strøget

· Copenhagen canal tour from Nyhavn http://www.canaltours.com OR http://www.netto-baadene.dk/index.htm

· Round Tower http://www.copenhagenet.dk/CPH-RoundTower.htm

· Tivoli http://www.tivoli.dk

· Christainborg Palace http://www.ses.dk/1d50029

· Rosenborg http://www.ses.dk/1de0029

· Amalienborg http://www.ses.dk/1d20029

OUTSIDE COPENHAGEN

Klampenborg 20 min. from Copenhagen via S-train

o Deer Park http://www.sns.dk/internat/vandretu...jaegersborg.htm

o Bakken http://www.bakken.dk

o Carriage Ride http://www.woco.dk/composite-3161.htm

Roskilde 20 min. from Copenhagen via intercity train

o Viking Museum http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/de...ontentSection=2

Conducted tours in English daily at 12:00 and 1:30

· Roskilde Dome Church http://www.roskildedomkirke.dk/dk

Hillerod 30 min. from Copenhagen via S-train

· Fredereiksborg Palace and Gardens http://www.ses.dk/2280029

Helsingor 30 min. from Hillerod, or 50 min. from Copenhagen

· Kronborg http://www.ses.dk/1dc0029

· Brostraede Ice Cream http://www.femalenerd.com/denmark/e...brostraede.html

· Ferry to Helsingborg, Sweden

· http://www.sofiero.helsingborg.se/eng/index_eng.html

· Train to Lund, Sweden

· Train from Lund, Sweden to Malmo, Sweden

· Travel over Oresund bridge by train from Malmo, Sweden

Fredensborg

· Fredensborg Palace and Gardens http://www.ses.dk/1d70029

Gilleleje Noth shore of the island

· Beach

· Lunch

Hellerup North of Copenhagen, 10 min. by S-train

Walk along beach

Dragør Just south of Copenhagen, near the airport

Take a walk around this cozy town

Our ship (Celebrity's Century) will be docking in Copenhagen at 20:00 on Tuesday, July 5 and leaving at 18:00 on Wednesday. This means that our only opportuinty to visit Tivoli at night will be the day we arrive.

Is it realistic to hope that even with the 2000 docking, we'll still be able to visit Tivoli that evening? TIA

X-ring,

I do think you should easily be able to make it to Tivoli on July 5, after you dock at 8 PM (20:000), I know I'd be heading there straight away if it were me. On Tuesdays, Tivoli is open to 11 PM. It's not a huge place, you'll have plenty of time to walk around to get a feel for Tivoli, then stop at an outside restaurant or cafe in Tivoli for a drink and/or a bite to eat. You might get lucky and the ship actually be ready for passenger to get off before 8 PM (20:00). Once the ship starts sailing this summer, you can ask on this message board to returning passengers, what time people were able to get off. Then you'd get a little idea of how soon you might actually get off. Copenhagen is not really a big city, so by taxi you can be at Tivoli in no time, maybe in only 15 min. However, it there are no taxi available at the ship, and I would assume there would be, but if not, I'd walk to Osterport train station which is the closest station and take the S-train to the main station, Kobenhavn H, this is only 2 stations away. Trains should be at Osterport continously, and all trains heading south stop at the main station, Kobenhavn H. In essence, yes it is very realistic.

Although you could take a taxi or train back, it's also walkable. You could be back at your ship in maybe an hour. Copenhagen is very safe, and it would be a nice walk. Have fun.

Thanks you so much for all the information and then for your summary of all the places you mentioned and the web sites. We have been to the city several times and were looking for things to do outside the city. This is perfect. Also, I would add to your shopping list the Ecco shoe store on Stroget. Thanks again for your massive efforts.

Steve

Thank ou for all your information.

Wr are going to Copenhagen on our own arriving on a Wed. afternoon, flying out on a Sat, morning. then returning off the Constellation when she stops there for the day (she arrives midday and leaves midday the next day) What would be a order of things to do when we have 2 full days on our own and what to do when we have the two half days...so that we cover as much of the things to see as possible.

Many thanks

Hi Jezzdogg,

Glad to read you'll have two full days, and two half days in Copenhagen. There's a lot to see and do for those willing to explore. In postings under this title "Wonderful Copenhagne," I have listed many of the activities that can be done while in Copenhagen. In terms of the order of thing to do, I must admit I am having difficulty with that myself. I'll be in Copenhagen, arriving July 22, and I myself am trying to figure out how to squeeze in all that I want to see and do.

For your two 1/2 days, I might suggest staying within the city and exploring Copenhagen. Some of the typical things to do is the canal tour which can be picked up in Nyhavn, and last an hour. Also, there's shopping on Stroget, the mile long pedestrian street. The street does not really seem that long as it's pedestrian, narrow, and curves. There are two castles/places to vist. Amalienborg is close to Nyhavn and is the queens residence. It's kind of like a Buckingham palace, not as big, not as formal, not gated, but they do have the guards, dressed in black not red. You can walk around right in the square of Amalienborg. If your schedule permits, I'd be there at noon for the changing of the guard. Not far from Amalienborg, along the walkway along the channel is the Little Mermaid, and west of Amalienborg is Rosenborg castle. Depending on when your 1/2 day begins, you could probably do Rosenborg, Amalienborg, and the canal tour.

One of your evenings I trust you'll go to Tivoli, and I'd recommend dining at one of the many restaurants in the park. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any restaurants, so I suggest checking with your hotel's concerge for recommendations.

For your full days, on one of the days I'd take the S-train to Hillerod, about a 40 min. ride from Copenhagen. From there you can walk to Frederiksborg castle. It's not a far walk, and you'll be walking through some of the town. For directions, you can either ask anyone, or simply look for a sign with the word "slot" somewhere in the sign's wording. Slot is the Danish word for castle. This is in my opinion, the most beautiful castle in all of Denmark. There are also is a beautiful garden as well. From here, you can go back to the train station, and take another train to Helsingor, just ask at the train station for details. It's not a long train ride, maybe around 30 min. But there might be time to take a bus or taxi to Fredensborg castle which is another residence of the queen. However, I think July is the only month when the public is permitted to go inside for a brief tour. Anyhow, from Hillerod to Helsingor, once in Helsingor, you should be able to see Kronborg castle. Maybe a 20 min. walk. After touring the castle, before you depart the city, be sure to stop for ice cream at the shoppe I recommended in a posting above. On the way back to Copenhagen by train, stop off at Klampenborg for a walk around deer park, or even a carriage ride. This is also where Bakken is located, another amusement park. It's not as popular as Tivoli, but has been around for many years, even older than Tivoli. All these activities I believe can be done in a day.

Anothere day you can take the train from Copenagen to Roskilde and visit the Viking Museum, and Roskilde Church. The train ride is only about 30 min. from the city to Roskilde. You'll also need to take a short bus or taxi to the Viking musuem. Going to Roskilde for the Church and Museum should take about a 1/2 day, but I might not recommend doing this on your other 1/2 day just in case you fell short on time.

These are just some suggestions. Once I figure out my own itinerary, I'll post it here as well.

Hi Steve,

We arrive Copenhagen on the Constellation at 5pm Monday the 9th of May. We are thinking of following your suggestion and going to Tivoli that evening. I think I can see the two train stations on the map. (Click on “Maps & Photos” in our signature and then on “Copenhagen” on the left side of the page.) Osterport should be the little purple square just to the left of Amalienborg Castle and Koberhavn the one about 2 blocks south of Tivoli.

Can you tell me how late the trains run that time of year? What kind of money do we need for tickets? Do they by any chance take credit cards? Will there be ATMs near the station? It looks like about 4.5 kilometers from the dock but some people might not want to walk back. Are there taxis around after the train stops running?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I think the web site for your cruise ports is awsome, you've done a great job with all your research. Yes, Osterport station is exactly where the purple square is located, west of Kastellte. You have it marked as Amalienborg Castle, you're close, but Amalienborg is about an inch south on your map, where "Amalienborg Slotsplads" is indicated. Slot is the word for castle or palace, and plads means something like square, so Amalienborg Slotsplads means Amalienborg palace square, or something close to it. :-)

Here is a web link to a site that contains an interactive map that I think is pretty cool. http://www.w2g.dk/default.asp?ArtFolder=477&tpl=28&flash=1&location Hopefully this link works for everyone. Within the map is a small box where you can move a smaller box around the city, which moves the larger map. Hopefully this makes sense when you try it out. The train stations are also incicated on this map. The S-train, or in Danish, S-tog, are indicated by a white S in a small red diagram.

If you take the train from Osterport, you're only a few stations away from the center of the city. The first station you'd come to is Norreport, followed by Vesterport, then finally Kobenhavn H station. Kobenhavn H is what I've always refered to as the main station, and is directly accross the street form Tivoli. Surprisingly, the map link I posted above does not show Vesterport station. You can actually get off at either Vesterport, or Kobenhavn H station. I used to live in Hellerup which is only a few stations, north of Osterport. Each time I came to the city, I always got off at Vesterport station. I have no idea why I didn't get off more frequently at the main station, and always used Vesterport, I can only assume it might have been actually quicker. Although it apparently does not matter which station you get off at, either Vesterport, or Kobenhavn H, I recommend getting off at Kobenhavn H so that you can at least see the main station, plus, it's directly accross the street from Tivoli, and would obviously be slightly easier to find. Certainly being the main train station, there would also be an ATM machines in the staion as well.

The currency in Denmark is the Danish Kroener. I would assume Tivoli takes credit cards, but since I dont' know for sure, I am investigating this for you and will have to get back to you on this one. For taxis, there are taxi stands around the main train station (Kobenhavn H), and also on Vesterbrogade, the street on which the main entrance to Tivoli is located. However, there is also an entrance to Tivoli on Bernstorffsgade which is the street accross from the main station.

On Monday, May 9, Tivoli will be open till 11 PM. There will be trains from either Kobenhavn H, or Vesterport back to Osterport station. There should be any number of S-trains you can take as they all stop at Osterport. I've checked the train service web site http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en and there are definately trains past the closing hour of Tivoli. The duration of the train ride is only 7 minutes either to or from Osterport. If I recall, Osterport is a good area, the American Embassy is less than a 5 min walk from the train station, I used to go to church near the Embassy every Sunday. I'll check with a friend, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the trains stop running as it appears they continue to run after midnight.

You'll have a great time. As I've stated on this message board before, don't expect this "amusement" park to be a Disney world, or Six Flags, it's not that big. People expecting that might be dissapointed. It's just a fun, cozy park, lots of pretty lights, entertainment, many restaurants, and yes, rides. It's such a good place to people watch, and simply enjoy yourself. Tivoli is about 140 years old, so although it's no Disney, they're doing something right. Myself, I can't wait to go.

Hope I've helped some, please feel free to ask more questions. If I don't have an answer, I have Danish friends to help investigate questions.

Isn't your ship overnighting in Copenhagen till 5 PM the next day? How have you planned to spend your day?

swdke- You sound like you know what you're talking about, so would you give me your opinion? My mother and I are on the Star Princesson 5/15 and will fly in a day early to take in some of Copenhagen. Our ship sails at 9PM on Sunday and we were wondering if it would be a terrible error in judgement to take the train and spend Sunday visiting Helsingor (sp?). I've been to the website for the trains and it looks like the trains run all day (even Sunday) and the trip is less than an hour one way. I figure if we get going early (8-9AM) and end up back at the ship by 5PM we'll be in plenty of time to get on. What do you think? I obviously don't want to get hung up in Helsingor for some reason and miss the ship. I also want to take full advantage of our time in Denmark.

Hello cpetcruiser,

Definately go to Helsingor, you will have no problem going to Helsingor, and returning in time to board the Star Princess by 5 PM. You have done your research well, from Copenhagen to Helsingor is indeed less than an hour by train. I agree, to play it safe, depart Copenhagen early, say by 9 AM, and you should arrive in Helsingor by 9:45 AM. I am assuming you'll want to visit Kronborg castle, which I think opens at 10:30 AM. After you exit the train station, you'll be able to see Kronborg. I am guessing it's about a 20 min walk. Just in case you don't already have it, here is a web site to Kronborg http://www.kronborgcastle.com/html/frame/frame.htm Unless you have other plans in Helsingor, the tour of the castle should take about an hour. Be sure to visit the maritime musem which I think requires a separate admission, and also visit the casemates, both of which are at the castle.

Also, in Helsingor, be sure to stop at the small ice cream shop on Brostræde which is right by the station in a nearby pedestrian alley.

In essence, definately with confidence, you should have no problem being in Helsingor in the morning, and back in Copenhagen in time to board the Star Princess by 5 PM. Assuming you're in Helsingor by 10 AM, and add in 3 hours for a day in Helsingor, and an hour back to Copenhagen, you should be back by 2 PM, leaving you 3 hours before being at the ship at 5.

I too will be departing on the Star Princess on the July 24th sailing. I can't wait.

Thanks Steve,

I made the change to the location of the flag for Amalienborg Castle. Also got rid of all blue squares representing restaurants that were cluttering up the map. Looks like the train will work great to get to Tivoli and back to the ship the first night.

Betty & I plan to spend the next day just walking around Copenhagen, taking in the sites and getting the feel of the city. We enjoy exploring new places

Steve:

I keep saving all the wonderful suggestions you make about Copenhagen.

A trivial question. Do you recall whether there are any wine stores from where we could buy wine before boarding? Is wine sold in grocery stores like in US or only in Liquor/Wine stores? Generally, what time do these store close? Thanks.

/Sultan

Yes, you should have no problem finding wine stores anywhere in the city. Wine can be sold anywhere, not specific wine or liquor stores like in some US cities/States. Although there are wine stores in Denmark, wine can also be purchased in department and food stores too. However, in Sweden you would have to go specificly to a liquor store. But in Copenhagen, this is not the case. Stores in Denmark are normally open till 5 pm, but the bigger department stores are open later, till about 7 pm. However, things are expensive in Copenhagen, and I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to get wine from the ship. On the other hand, maybe there is a duty free shop at the cruise terminal. Maybe someone who's cruised in Copenhagen in the past, or returning passengers from this summer's upcoming cruises can help out with duty free options at the cruise terminal. However, if you purchase 300 Danish Kroner worth of items in a store, you can get a refund on some of the tax. Here is some information about that:

1. For each total purchase of DKK 300 (about $40) or more made in a single TaxFree shop or department store you will receive a Global Refund TaxFree Cheque. (It usually prints along with your cash register receipt.)

2. When you leave Denmark or the EU, show your purchases, receipts and passport to customs officials and have your TaxFree Cheques stamped.

3. Global Refund refunds your money! (About 13-19% of your purchase price.)

I found this information at this web site, it really has an amazing amout of information. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/index.html

FYI, shops will be closed on Sunday. Here is some information on store hours:

The following can be used as guidelines for opening hours of shops in the city:

Monday-Thursday 10 am - 6 pm

Friday 10 am - 7 pm

Saturday 10 am - 4 pm

Sunday closed

Hope this information helps, but you should not have any problems purchasing wine, and depending on what you spend, you may get a refund on some of your purchases.

Just an edit, I"ve since learned there is no duty free shop at the cruise terminal. I have added a posting on this board with the reply I was sent. Best way to go seems to take advantage of the tax refund. Be sure to ask for details before you buy, and verify that wine purchases qualify. I would think it would, but always good to ask.

Archived