Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Here's a web site I found designed for cruise passengers for Copenhagen. I am impressed with all it's information.

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com

This one has pictures of cruise ships in Copenhagen

www.cmport.com/80256A3F004AD3CF/(AllDocsByDocId)/8E3C5A1AC1357F76C1256D52003DF1FE?OpenDocument

Here's another one. http://www.cmport.com/CMP/uk/uk_docs.nsf

About a tax free shop in the Copenhagen Cruise Terminal, I emailed an inquiry, and I am posting the response.

Dear Steve,

There is no tax free shop at the terminal in the Free Port or at Langelinie for cruise ships.

The passengers can go to the center of the town and do the shopping there, ask for a Global Refund cheque and get the refund at the GR office at Langelinie.

It is only passengers living outside EU who can claim the tax.

Best regards

Med venlig hilsen

Suzanneh Mahler

Cash Refund Manager

Global Refund Danmark A/S

Københavns Lufthavn

Transithallen, Terminal 3

2770 Kastrup

Tlf. +45 32502928

Fax +45 32505390

Mobil +45 26736466

http://www.globalrfund.com

John, I emailed a Danish friend to ask some questions that I was not totally sure on and his response is pasted below. Essentially, his reply mostly confirms what I assumed and previously posted back to you. Here's what he had to say.

"The trains usually runs until 12:30-01:00 am - from København H, that is, and it is the same summer as winter.

You need Danish kroner - "Danske Kroner" - you may be able to pay by credit card but not at the vending machines - I seem to recall.

There is most likely a cash dispenser near or at the station - if not ask the station personnel.

There are in fact taxis available in Copenhagen 24 hours a day!"

Can you rec. any hotels that are in the center of town. We hae been looking at the Mermaid, the Sofitel, the Palace and the Marriott. We can, at this point get a fairly decent price at the Mermaid. How is this property, clean, a/c central to everything. Many thanks

NOrma

The Le Meridien Mermaid hotel appears to be in a great location according to the hotel's map. You're close to everything, Tivoli, the Town Square, Stroget-the pedestrian shopping street. No problem with location, but I have no idea about the hotel itself. Have you checked with tripadvisor.com for information? Other hotels that interested me are Marriott, Nyhavn 71, SAS Radisson, The Admiral Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hotels I liked when I did my hotel research were:

Copenhagen Marriott

71 Nyhavn Hotel

The Admiral Hotel

Radisson SAS Scandinavian Hotel

Radisson SAS Royal Hotel

And for those who can afford it, the Hotel D'Angleterre

We're staying at the Copenhagen Marriott, I got the hotel through Priceline.

We were trying to do ther Marriot thru my DIL with friends and family but, they are fully booked no matter the price for the 3 days we would like

How is the Hotel Vesterboro??

Or are there any hotels in that price range that are good that you would rec.

Also the Copenhagen Admiral is available but, reviews do not seem as good...please let me know

Norma

Hi Steve,

We arrive Copenhagen on the Constellation at 5pm Monday the 9th of May. We are thinking of following your suggestion and going to Tivoli that evening. I think I can see the two train stations on the map. (Click on “Maps & Photos” in our signature and then on “Copenhagen” on the left side of the page.) Osterport should be the little purple square just to the left of Amalienborg Castle and Koberhavn the one about 2 blocks south of Tivoli.

Can you tell me how late the trains run that time of year? What kind of money do we need for tickets? Do they by any chance take credit cards? Will there be ATMs near the station? It looks like about 4.5 kilometers from the dock but some people might not want to walk back. Are there taxis around after the train stops running?

Thanks,

John

There is a ships shuttle for about $20 per head which includes an entryticket into Tivoli which we used last year

We were trying to do ther Marriot thru my DIL with friends and family but, they are fully booked no matter the price for the 3 days we would like

How is the Hotel Vesterboro??

Or are there any hotels in that price range that are good that you would rec.

Also the Copenhagen Admiral is available but, reviews do not seem as good...please let me know

Norma

I wish I could help more with hotel recommendations, but I've never stayed in a hotel in Copenhagen, I always stayed with friends, and a family when I lived there. I've looked at the location and it seems to be a short walk to the main train station, Tivoli and the town square, about a 5 min walk. I am staying at the Marriott and I too will have a 5 min walk to the train station and Tivoli.

I think I liked the Copenhagen Admiral because I liked the location. It's close to Nyhavn, Amalienborg palace, and Stroget. Plus, I thought the pictures of the hotel looked good, but I primarily liked it's location. It would also be closer to the cruise ships. Probably still too far to walk to the Ships, but closer and less of a taxi ride. However, Copenhagen is not a huge city, so a taxi from anywhere is a short ride. For these reasons, I added it to my list of hotels to consider when I was researching where I might like to stay. Sorry I can't provide any personal recommendations.

Steve, You might want to answer the question titled staying one night outside of Copenhagen. I gave some ideas, but you would have specifics. Some of my knowledge came from reading your posts. You are tremendously helpful. Thanks. Marlyne

Anyone with knowledge (Steve?) whether there are Internet Cafes in the Tivoli/Stroget area? Can one also buy local phone cards to call US from phone booths in Copenhagen? Usually the phone cards from US seldom work to call US from foreign countries. Thanks. /Sultan

Have just read this fantastic report particularly on the trains, only problem is Princess doesn't use the cruise terminal at Langelinne, they use the Freehavn Nord terminal, so the nearest station would be Nordhavn, there is also a bus No. 29 that goes every 20 mins or so into the main square

Have just read this fantastic report particularly on the trains, only problem is Princess doesn't use the cruise terminal at Langelinne, they use the Freehavn Nord terminal, so the nearest station would be Nordhavn, there is also a bus No. 29 that goes every 20 mins or so into the main square

Yes, this is true about where the Star Pricess will dock, and Nordhavn is the closest station. I've been looking at a map of the area, and it looks like a 10 min. walk to Nordhavn. But I'd like to see someone respond who knows for sure. Trains stop very frequently in Nordhavn, you would not have to wait long for a train. Going into Copenhagen, you can get off at Vesterport station, or the main station which is the next stop after Vesterport. When I used to go into Copenhagen, I always got off at Vesterport to go into town. Can't say I remember why when the main station seems more logical, but I almost never used the main station, so there must have been a reason why, but I just can't remember. Or, Norreport station would be another good place to get off. It's the 2nd stop after getting on at Nordhavn, and getting off at Norreport, you can begin your walk/tour on a pedestrian street. Visit the Round Tower, then continue where it intersects Strøget. I believe Norreport station is also closer to Rosenborg palace and Amalienborg. But if you're going to Tivoli, then get off at Vesterport, or the main station.

Anyone with knowledge (Steve?) whether there are Internet Cafes in the Tivoli/Stroget area? Can one also buy local phone cards to call US from phone booths in Copenhagen? Usually the phone cards from US seldom work to call US from foreign countries. Thanks. /Sultan

Hi Sultan:

I don't personally know the answers to your question. However, I have sent off an email to a Danish friend and hopefully he can help us. Until I hear back from him, I did do a search and here's something I found:

The main internet cafe in Copenhagen is Boomtown located centrally right next to Tivoli and Hovedbanegaarden/Central Station. There are 108 PCs with the newest hardware from Intel and Dell. For more information refer to:

Boomtown

http://boomtown.net

1 Axel Torv

1609 Copenhagen V

Denmark

I tried looking up this Boomtown and a lot of gaming stuff came up. I did find an email address and sent off an inquiry. I'll get back with you if/when I hear back from them, and my friend too. As far a phone cards go, hopefully my friend can help us with that one.

Steve

Here is some information for those interested in the Copenhagen Card. But first, if you would like to have information on Copenhagen, and the Copenhagen Card mailed to your home. Send an email to: woco@woco.dk

Enclose in your email the address where you want your Copenhagen literature mailed to, and you might want to include a reminder you desire information in English. Besure to also specifically ask for information on the Copenhagen Card. You should get your mail in about a week, at least I did.

Copenhagen Card

The Copenhagen Card can be purchased at tourist offices throughout Denmark, such as at the tourist information offices across from Tivoli, at the airport and at major train stations. Many hotels, camping grounds and youth hostels also sell Copenhagen Cards.

But the Copenhagen Card can be purchased online in advanced. When arriving in Copenhagen with a Copenhagen Card in hand, you are ready for exciting experiences without the hassle of booking and buying.

- Free entry to more than 60 museums and attractions.

- Free transport by train, bus and Metro.

- Discounts on many attractions and on car rental.

- Includes a comprehensive guide

Choose between a 24-hour Copenhagen Card and a 72-hour Copenhagen Card. (Copenhagen Card is available for adults (16+ years) and children (10-15 years incl.) Up to 2 children under the age of 10 are allowed free with each adult card.

Due to postage you must book your Copenhagen Card online minimum 7 days before arriving to Copenhagen.

The prices include a service and postage fee of DKK 10 for each card (EUR 1,50). 209 Danish Kroner, about $35.92 USD for adults for the 24 hr. card. 439 Danish Kroner, about $75.44 USD, for the 72 hr. card. The Copenhagen Cards will be posted to your address together with a comprehensive guide allowing you to plan your trip in detail before arrival thus maximising the benefit.

Your Copenhagen Card is valid only when it:

is stamped with the first day of validity.

displays the starting time (first full hour).

has your personal signature on the back.

The date is stamped by the point of sale or at the first attraction you visit.

You can use your card as often as you like during its time of validity. Copenhagen Card is available for adults (over 16 years) and children (10-15 years incl.).

This information was obtained from the copenhagencard.dk website. I would go there and see all the sites where the card is valid, or provides a discount. Then, find out what you want to do, and the cost of admission for that activity. Then, see if you would come out ahead by using the Copenhagen Card. However, one cost that would be difficult to determine is the cost of transportation. The card is good for bus and train transportation to nearly all of northern Sjaeland, and Copenhagen. Therefore, knowing how often you would use public transportation, and what the regulare fare would be can be harder to determine.

Have fun,

Steve

Yes I can confirm that it is about a 10 min walk from the dock, through the dock itself and across the main road. There is a ticket office before you climb the stairs to the platforms, where you can buy the 10clip tickets

Hi Sultan:

I just received a message in response to the the email I mentioned earlier that I sent to someone in Denmark at a Copenhagen Internet Cafe. Here is their reply:

"Hi Steve.

You can actually found the stylish Boomtown Café on Axeltorv in the middle of Copenhagen. It is located right next to Tivoli, the main danish amusement park, and very close to the Copenhagen Central Station.

The exact adress is

Boomtown

Axel Torv 1

1609 København V

We hope you enjoy your stay in Copenhagen.

Sounds like it's exactly where you were hoping to find an Internet Cafe. Regarding the phone cards, I am hoping my Danish friend, Peter, will may have some insight on that."

Steve

Archived