Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Livtocruz,

Thanks for your reply and confirming that the Nordhavn station is only a 10 min. walk. It didn't look like it was far from the ship, but still I was uncertain about the distance. I really appreciate you verifying this for me.

I too will be staying at the Marriott, and I plan to take a taxi. I guess you could take the train as it should be possible. The Marriott is about a 8 min. walk from the main train station. Then you take the S-tog (train) to Nordhavn station, about 4 stops away to the north. The Star should be about a 10 min walk. But with luggage in tow, I think a taxi would be best. I estimate a taxi ride to be about 10-15 min.

Anyone with knowledge (Steve?) whether there are Internet Cafes in the Tivoli/Stroget area? Can one also buy local phone cards to call US from phone booths in Copenhagen? Usually the phone cards from US seldom work to call US from foreign countries. Thanks. /Sultan

I finally received a reply from my Danish friend who I asked for information about Internet Cafes and phone cards. Below is his repy which confirms the Internet Cafe, Boomtown, which we already found, and unfortunately, he didn't have much to add about phone cards. But, below is his reply:

"The nearest Internet Cafe I was able to find was one called Boomtown Netcafé which is situated opposite Tivoli:

http://www.boomtown.net/en_uk/

Even though it looks like a gaming cafe I guess you can also just check your mail there - however, this question can easily be answered by forwarding them an email I guess.

From the online phone book here's a small map:

http://www.degulesider.dk/vbw/firma/kort.do?compRegionID=r13&compTrade=internetcafe&hitsPerPage=10&hitsPerPageSitemap=10&&backParameters=compTrade%3Dinternetcafe%26hitsPerPage%3D10%26compRegionID%3Dr13%26hitsPerPageSitemap%3D10%26&backPath=%2Fvbw%2Ffirma%2Ffb.do&&compInfCustID=05013482&compInfAdID=05013482@0019375936&compInfCatID=00032983:00051513

I have never used phone cards in Denmark but as far as I can see from this link it is indeed possible to buy - probably from post offices and the like:

http://privat.tdc.dk/telefoni/services/telefonkort/telekort/galleri/index.php?value=30"

Steve

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a taxi from Norhavn (where Princess cruise ship docks) into town? How long would it take? Will it be faster than taking the train?QUOTE]

Although I do not know how much a taxi would be from Nordhavn to town, I am checking for you, if I find out, I'll get back to you on this.

What I do know is that the Star docks at Orientkai, at Frihavn harbor. It's about a 10 min. walk from Nordhavn train station. Nordhavn station is nearly downtown, only 2-3 stops away, depending on where you get off. Trains run very frequently, and you'll be downtown within 10 min. once your on the train.

A taxi would be quicker, but I am not familiar with the number of taxi waiting at the ship. Hopefully some last years, or this years returning passengers from this year's sailings can fill us in. A taxi should only be a 10 min. ride, if that, so hopefully a fare will not cost much.

Thanks for your help and info!

Actually, I am not exactly trying to get to Copenhagen town center from the Princess cruise ship. My plan is, on the day of embarkation, we will have the whole afternoon free, and we would like to get to the Little Mermaid Statue, and then walk along to get to Gelion fountain, Amalienborg palace, and then to Nyhavn where we will take a canal tour, and then get back to the ship.

Is it possible to walk from where Princess ship docks to the Little Mermaid Statue? If not (i.e. takes too long), is the alternative to take a taxi? (Because on the very primitive map that I have, I don't see a train station close to the Little Mermaid Statue)

Thanks a lot!

Is it possible to walk from where Princess ship docks to the Little Mermaid Statue? If not (i.e. takes too long), is the alternative to take a taxi? (Because on the very primitive map that I have, I don't see a train station close to the Little Mermaid Statue)

Hi, that sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon after embarkation. Fortunately, the Little Mermaid is at the northen edge of the city, which puts the distance between the Star and the Little Mermaid a lot closer than the Star to Tivoli, and the town square, Radhus Pladsen. Walking is now more of an option. To make things simpler for you, if there was a taxi readly available, I'd take the taxi. The fare shouldn't be too much considering the short distance. I would assume you should be able to find a taxi, but if not, no problem, you can probably walk. I am guessing the walk might be around 20 min. You could still take the train at Nordhavn, but you'd be getting off at the next station which is Osterport Station. Gelion fountain is located by the Little Mermaid, so you can consider those to as being together. Amalienborg is a short walk along the channel, and Nyhavn just a very short distance, further. If you had time, from Nyhavn, you could walk a little along Stroget, the pedestrian shopping street. When you come to an intersection of another pedestrian street called Kobmagergade, right by Illiums department store. Turn right there, as you walk along this pedestrian street, you'll come accross the round tower which you can walk up for a view of the city. Continuing the walk along Kobmagergade, you'll eventually come accross Norreport Station where you can take the train back to Nordhavn.

However, I see that you will take the harbor cruise which is a great idea, and therefore you may not have time for this extra walk. But it is an option to consider if you have time.

But in answer to your original question, I'd take a taxi if one was available, but if not, it is walkable, min. of 20 min.

Have fun,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for all the wonderful information! I will be in Copenhagen on Saturday June 11 until 6. I would like to do both Kronborg and Frederiksborg. However, with the time constraints I am not sure if that is possible. What do you think? If so what time should I leave the boat and which should I do first? If not, which would you choose?

I will be in Copenhagen on Saturday June 11 until 6. I would like to do both Kronborg and Frederiksborg. However, with the time constraints I am not sure if that is possible. What do you think? If so what time should I leave the boat and which should I do first? If not, which would you choose?

Epiala, I would be glad to help you with information about Kronborg and Frederiksborg, but I need more information. You said you are in Copenhagen on June 11 till 6 PM, but I am uncertain as to what time you'll be starting your your day. Are you on a ship that is arriving that day, and if so, what time do you arrive? Let me know and I'll get back with you.

Steve

Steve:

In some of the above posts, you have suggested taking a Taxi for relatively short distances. My question is: What kind of "attitude" to expect from the taxi driver? Or should one take the taxi from the ship to Tivoli and gradually walk back. In San Francisco, the taxi driver is almost ready to push you out the taxi if you are going a short distance! Thanks. /Sultan

Can one also buy local phone cards to call US from phone booths in Copenhagen? Usually the phone cards from US seldom work to call US from foreign countries. Thanks. /Sultan

Hi Sultan, I just found a website with information on phone cards. http://www.idteurope.com/phonecards/phoneCards.asp?country=Denmark&language=English

If that address does not work, go to http://www.idteurope.com I was reviewing a Copenhagen map, and around the sides of the map were advertisements. One was http://www.idteurope.com. Hopefully it may have information you are looking for in using phone cards in Denmark.

Steve

I will be in Copenhagen on Saturday June 11 until 6. I would like to do both Kronborg and Frederiksborg. However, with the time constraints I am not sure if that is possible. What do you think? If so what time should I leave the boat and which should I do first? If not, which would you choose?

Hi Epiala, with an overnight on the Century in Copenhagen, and a departure on the following day at 6 PM, you will definitely have time to do Frederiksborg and Kronborg. This will not be a problem.

Both castles open at 10 AM. on the one hand, it really doesn't matter which way you go, whether you do Frederiksborg in Hillerod first, or Kronborg in Helsingør. But, my gut feeling is to go to Hillerod first, and I think in doing so will provide more options if you find you have time.

I am going to make an estimate that the closest train station to your ship is Østerport Station. If not, it doesn't really matter from which station you start because you'll be taking the same train from any Copenhagen area station. The train you'll be taking is the A, or E train. The type of train is the S-tog, or S-train. These trains each run every 20 min. So between the two trains, there should be a train coming through Østerport, or any other station, about every 10 min. The front of the train should indicate either A or E train, and state it’s final destination, which coincidently is Hillerød. You can used this route planner website to help you with all train times. http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en Fortunately it’s in English. Just type in the station you’re traveling “From,” and “To,” be sure to enter the date, and time you thinks you’ll be traveling, then click on “Search Connection.” After entering information, the next screen may come back with some words in red, but all you need to do is to click on the down scroll bar and pick the more specific location your traveling from/to, or just click “Search Connection” to continue. Since the castle doesn’t open till 10 AM, I just entered a time of 9:00 and the travel planner came up with some options. One option was the A train which departs Østerport at 8:55 AM, and arrives in Hillerød at 9:38 AM, a 43 min. journey. The castle is not far. I think it’s about a 15 min. walk from the station. Just look for the signs that might have the word “slot,” which means “castle.” Or, you can ask anyone for directions as everyone in Denmark speaks English.

For the trip to Helsingør, there is a regional train the leaves at 58 minutes of the hour, once every hour. If you use the travel planner, other train options seem to appear but involve other stations, busses, and is confusing. Where as, the train at 58 min. of the hour is a 30 min. direct journey. So, lets say you depart at 11:58 AM, you should be in Helsingør 12:28 PM. You can walk to Kronborg, and probably be there by 1 PM. Be sure to take the Casemates tour. If I recall, it’s a separate fee, but things may have changed. In Helsingør, there is a small ice cream place on a small narrow alley, Brostræde, right by the train station which serves some great ice cream. Be sure to get some before you head back to Copenhagen.

Before I forget, on the train from Helsingør to Copenhagen, the type of train may yet be a 3rd make of train. This train may be larger than the one you took to Hillerød, and from Hillerød to Helsingør. On this train, there may be a 1st class and coach section. I once made the mistake of sitting in the 1st class section, and when the conductor came by, I was informed that I was in the wrong section. It wasn’t too embarrassing of a situation because I was the only one in the whole car. Plus, it hardly seemed 1st class, which is why I didn’t notice anything special about it. So, when you buy your ticket, make sure you ask if there are any sections of the train where you should or should not be. This is the only train of the day where this situation could occur.

Depending on when you depart from Helsingør, you may have time to make a stop on the way back to the city. First, you can take a train from Helsingør to Copenhagen. If you left at say, 2:36 PM, you would arrive back at Østerport at 3:13 PM. Certainly that’s plenty of time before your ship’s departure at 6. There are three options that come to mind if you had the time. One could be to continue on to Copenhagen, maybe to Vesterport station, then walk by Tivoli, the town square, and walk Strøget to Nyhavn. However, it depends on how much time you spend at the castles which will determine any time you might have for walking in the center of Copenhagen. A second option returning from Helsingør would be to get off at Humlebæk, it’s the 3rd station after Helsingør. There you could take a quick tour of the Louisiana Art Museum. It's not the size of the Met, but well worth doing, and shouldn't take too long. The third option would be to make a stop at Klampenborg Station where it’s only a 5-minute walk to Deer Park and Bakken, an amusement park. The park is free, and it’s not that big, so you could just do a quick walk around. I think Deer Park itself would be more interesting, I am sure you’ll actually see deer in the park. At least I always did. There are also horse carrige rides through the Park, but that could cost a bit. From Klampenborg, the trains are frequent, and Osterport is not that far away.

Hope this information has helped, but yes, with the time you have, you’ll have time for Frederiksborg, Kronborg, and maybe another site too.

Have fun,

Steve

Steve:

Perfect!

The Eurocard is just right because it works from everywhere in Europe. I found more details about that by clicking UK. Now how does one buy one on-line? The UK site has an on-line order. If you are able to find how one can order from Denmark, please let me know. Otherwise, i will send them an email. Naturally, I would prefer the instructions to be in English./Sultan

Hi Sultan, I just found a website with information on phone cards. http://www.idteurope.com/phonecards/phoneCards.asp?country=Denmark&language=English

Steve

Steve:

In some of the above posts, you have suggested taking a Taxi for relatively short distances. My question is: What kind of "attitude" to expect from the taxi driver? Or should one take the taxi from the ship to Tivoli and gradually walk back. In San Francisco, the taxi driver is almost ready to push you out the taxi if you are going a short distance! Thanks. /Sultan

Hi Sultan,

Although I have commented about taking a taxi, I admit that I am not familar with taxis in Copenhagen. When I lived there, I was a student, and couldn't afford a taxi. I definately remember seeing taxis everywhere, much like any major city, and I was often tempted, but all my Danish friends told me they were expensive. But, we were kids without jobs, so naturaly they'd be expensive to us. :-) Copenhagen is definately pretty much a walking city, and the bus and train system really is fantastic. I only mentioned or referred to taking taxi because other posters had asked about it as an option. Plus, everyone's visit in Copenhagen will be relatively short, including myself, and I am doing a pre/post stay in Copenhagen. So the idea of taking a taxi to maximize time does seem like a good idea. Also, I am traveling with my parents, who although are very mobile, would prefer to make things a little easier on themselves. Therefore, thinking in terms of my own upcomig trip, the option of taking a taxi, if available, makes sence. Although I realize your question was about the attitude of a taxi driver for short distances, I just wanted to clarify that I don't have personal experience with taxis, but think it could be a good idea.

As for the attitude of the driver, again, I don't have personal experience, but I would be extremely surprised if they showed concern. Danish people are overall pretty friendly. Plus, nothing is really "far" in Denmark, or Copenhagen. Everything in Copenhagen is relatively close anyhow. I would almost guess they are accustomed to short distances, but I could be wrong.

With regards to where the Star is docking at Orientkai in Frihavn, although it's not necessarily far from say the Little Mermaid, Frihavn is kind of in an odd location, in a sence, out of the way, yet still close to the city. I used to take the train to Copenhagen weekly and I only lived a few stations outside of Nordhavn Station. In all my many trips to the center of the city, I never got off at Nordhavn, it just wasn't that close to the city for me to get off and go where ever I needed to go in the center of the city. Or, I should say there was nothing at Nordhavn to get off for. So from my perspective, being at Nordhavn or Frihavn, it just has a sence of being "out of the way," despite being relatively close to the center city. I guess that's why taking a taxi might not seem odd to me to go to the Little Mermaid, and definately fair game to go anywhere else in Copenhagen. Yet, as I think about it, I suppose if your at Nordhavn station already, then you may as well walk, unless it's raining, to the Little Mermaid. But if there are taxi waiting at Frihavn, by the ship, then I personaly would take a taxi to the Little Mermaid. Being a popular destination, and me being a tourist off a ship, the taxi driver shouldn't be surprised.

In these situtions, I'd be very surprised if the driver demonstrated an attidute. However, if say you were to take a taxi from Tivoli to Stroget, only a 5-10 min walk, then that would be unnecessary, and although I'd be surprised if a driver did show an attitude, he would probaly have a right. But from the Star to the Little Mermaid, or any other location, I can't see a driver being upset with what may or may not be a short trip depending on your point of view. This is just my opinion, based on my personal experiences.

This is an interesting question. I think I'll email one of my Danish friends and see what he thinks. I'll get back to you on this.

Steve

The Eurocard is just right because it works from everywhere in Europe. I found more details about that by clicking UK. Now how does one buy one on-line? The UK site has an on-line order. If you are able to find how one can order from Denmark, please let me know. Otherwise, i will send them an email. Naturally, I would prefer the instructions to be in English./Sultan

Sultan, I am glad the site I found was helpful. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with such cards, and when I wrote to my Danish friend last week about it, the information he sent which I posted, didn't seem all to helpful. I think the idteurope.com site I referred you too had more information than what my Danish friend could provide. However, I did forget to mention that where I found this information from, on a Copenhagen tourist map, it did state you could buy your IDT Phonecards at eithe the post office, or some place called Kvickly. I don't know what Kvickly is, that's new to me, but you should be able to find a post office easily enough in Copenhagen. Come to think of it, I think my Danish friend's reply that I posted did mentioned something about buying phone cards at the post office.

Being curious, I just checked the internet for what a Kvickly is. It's apparently a store, looks like they sell food, clothing, bikes, cameras, etc.. Here is a web site with the store's locations: http://www.kvickly.dk/find.asp?amt=15 If this link works for you, look up the addresses in Kobenhavn aka Copenhagen, and look up the address on Mapquest.com Without looking up these addresses myself on MapQuest, I'd assume finding a post office may be easier to locate.

For a post office location, go to this web site. http://www.postdanmark.dk/index.jsp Hopefully a screen will come up and in the middle there will be a place where you can type in address information. It's located under "Find posthus:" Where it states "Postnummer" type in the zip code of your hotel. Then hit enter or click on "Sog." On the next screen will come up the information on the post office closest to that zip code. On the top right corner of this screen, you'll see a globe or map, below the gobe, in red, it will read "Vis pa kort." Click on that and you'll get a map of where the post office is located.

Course, I guess I am assuming you're overnighting in Copenhagen at a hotel to help us find the closest zip code post office. If you're not, let me know and I'll try to find another location to help you.

To be sure that the post office that comes up actually sells the phone cards, you might want to ask your hotel's concierge to verify.

Good luck,

Steve

When we were in Copenhagen on a previous trip, using the taxis for short rides was not a problem at all with the drivers. A lot of passengers did this to save time, and I didn't hear any complaints. The taxis take credit cards, and we found the Danes, including the taxi drivers to be very friendly.

Donna

Thanks for the details Steve. Yes we are staying one nite most likely at The Square (Sep 11). We are doing B2B on the Star. So we will be again in Copenhagen on Sep 22. /Sultan

Donna: Thanks for the reassurance on Taxis.

Course, I guess I am assuming you're overnighting in Copenhagen at a hotel to help us find the closest zip code post office. If you're not, let me know and I'll try to find another location to help you.

To be sure that the post office that comes up actually sells the phone cards, you might want to ask your hotel's concierge to verify.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks for your help and info!

Actually, I am not exactly trying to get to Copenhagen town center from the Princess cruise ship. My plan is, on the day of embarkation, we will have the whole afternoon free, and we would like to get to the Little Mermaid Statue, and then walk along to get to Gelion fountain, Amalienborg palace, and then to Nyhavn where we will take a canal tour, and then get back to the ship.

Thanks a lot!

Perhaps I can help with directions to the Little Mermaid from the Star. When you leave the terminal turn right and follow the road that bends around to the left. On the right hand side you will see a small building and the dock gates, head for them and out on to the road, turn left towards the main road and then left again onto the main road. The railwayline will be on your right. Keep walking down here and just after you cross a road called Indiakaj (the 2nd turning I think) you will see a sign to "Den Lille Havfrue" (Little mermaid) Follow this road, up a slight incline and down towards a small roundabout. Turn right here and the little mermaid will be almost immediately on your left. Usually large crowds so you won't miss it! To get to the Gefion Fountain from here, keep walking towards the city with the water on your left, just after you pass a restaurant on the right, you will see on your right a path (half tarmaced (?) and half gravel) running along by the water, take this path and turn right after you go under the bridge, go out through the big gates and the Gefion will be almost immediately on your right, very close to the Anglican church. One thing though, the Gefion has been under repair for the past 4 years, it was leaking, it did start up again quite briefly last year I think but it leaked again and they closed it down again. Hopefully it will be repaired by now. To get to Amalienborg from the Gefion just walk down the road immedately opposite (Amaliengade) and you will arrive there, and from there to Nyhavn just keep walking, keeping the water on your left, it's not a straight road, but quite simple. The following address has a 'movable' Copenhagen map, hopefully your hotel will have a map or you can collect one at the airport as you go through. Hope this helps. http://www.oresund.com/copmap/default.asp?navx=2175&navy=2685&xycord=&zl=9

Thank you for the information Steve. I will go to both castles and if I have time will probably choose to do the Rosenborg Castle in the late afternoon.

Rosenborg is also a great idea. Get off at Norreport Station, that's the closest station to Rosenborg, just maybe a 10 min. walk away.

Steve

What kind of "attitude" to expect from the taxi driver?

Sultan, I received a reply from my Danish friend and he indicated there should be no problem from a taxi driver. He also idicated that it was not a long walk, from Nordhavn are to the Little Mermaid, and that it would be a nice walk especially on a good weather day.

Steve

Archived