norovirus again on Boudicca

bermic

We have vowed never to sail with FO again. We had a shocking cruise last January where there were many cases of Norovirus. The whole cruise was a disaster. Our only reason for choosing that particular cruise was to visit Cape Verde Islands and, due to the sickness on board, we were not permitted to land. Whilst on board I heard from many passengers to were onboard a few months previously and had a similar outbreak. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong with the cruiseline and I would recommend cancelling, too!

We wrote to FO on our return but they were completey unsympathetic. I cannot believe some other cruise websites where the forum is full of people saying it's due to 'dirty, elderly passengers (usually men) causing the virus! That's both insulting and ridiculous. FO is not the only cruise line to attract either elderly or male passengers. I have never experienced any other norovirus-type viruses on any other lines or cruises I have completed - and I've done about 20 so far! From now on I'll stick to the excellent HAL, RCCL or Celebrity.

We went on a cruise last Feb with Azamara! never again ovar 170 passengers were ill never mind crew

We boarded a ship with quarentined passengers,unknown to us,on board so as you can imagine it ran rife as cabins were not clean on boarding or cleaned during the cruise

Fred Olsen are spotless compared to that cruise and it was supposed to be a luxury cruise!

We had a suite and all priviledges were withdrawn but not reimbursed

I would not hesitate to cruise with Fred at any time

Kathy:)

I have never experienced any other norovirus-type viruses on any other lines or cruises I have completed - and I've done about 20 so far! From now on I'll stick to the excellent HAL, RCCL or Celebrity.

I think in fairness FO is getting the majority of the press re novovirus however if you search on "novovirus cruise ships" you will certainly find information on your other lines

this table does not list the FO outbreaks but certainly the other lines you mention...guess they are not as newsworthy and it is more common than you imagine although FO does seem to have a problem with this particular ship and recurrances http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

I am awaiting the return of Boudicca from her latest cruise in the next few days with interest, to see if things have improved or whether the norovirus issue is still the same.From previous postings on this thread I get the impression that Kelly from Cruise Critic might be on board for this cruise,if this is the case it will be interesting to read her comments on the present situation on her return.

As long as cruise lines allow self service buffets this will be a problem. The antiseptic gel helps a little but the fact is there will be traces of the infection all over the ship which is picked up on people’s hands. This is then transferred to shared utensils at the buffet, gets on others hands and into their mouths.

Unfortunately in order to keep costs down, only the upmarket cruise lines now have 100% served eating.

I was thinking of a Fred cruise for my parents' Golden Wedding next year but these noro virus stories are seriously putting me off.

Interesting your comments re buffet dining - one of the exceptionally rare cruise lines who have never had an outbreak of Noro on board is Ocean Village who only offer self serve buffet dining so your argument does not exactly stack up. They are absolutely first class on cleanliness, you have to fill in a form saying you have not been ill before they even let you on board, hand gel at every entry to the restaurants, hand gel in the bars, notices in every communal toilet area about handwashing. Instructions as to what to do if you are sick about remaining in your cabin. In the restaurants you have to get new cutlery and plates for every course.

one of the exceptionally rare cruise lines who have never had an outbreak of Noro on board is Ocean Village who only offer self serve buffet dining

Do not confuse occurrence with penetration. There will be many ships that have never experienced viral infections but this does not mean that steps should not be taken to limit their spread on those that do.

There is no doubt that the primary (although obviously not the only) spread of viral infections is the self serve buffet. This is why Cunard, Celebrity etc stop self service buffets when infections are reported. Like it or not FOCL simply do not carry the resources to implement these programmes.

There is a simple and fun way to see how easily such things are passed on to others which you can try at home. Invite some close friends around for a buffet you have prepared then nominate one of you number as the ‘carrier’. This person then rubs chocolate into their hands getting them well covered. Let them help themselves to the buffet using the appropriate utensils. The idea is that everyone else then has to use these utensils to serve themselves food from the buffet without getting chocolate on their hands. Although it is difficult it can sometimes be done and trying can be fun. Remember though that unlike a virus chocolate is easy to see.

Now compare this with having your food served for you. Even if the ‘carrier’ is the server you stand a better chance of keeping the chocolate off your own hands and by process out of your mouth.

Do not confuse occurrence with penetration. There will be many ships that have never experienced viral infections but this does not mean that steps should not be taken to limit their spread on those that do.

There is no doubt that the primary (although obviously not the only) spread of viral infections is the self serve buffet. This is why Cunard, Celebrity etc stop self service buffets when infections are reported. Like it or not FOCL simply do not carry the resources to implement these programmes.

There is a simple and fun way to see how easily such things are passed on to others which you can try at home. Invite some close friends around for a buffet you have prepared then nominate one of you number as the ‘carrier’. This person then rubs chocolate into their hands getting them well covered. Let them help themselves to the buffet using the appropriate utensils. The idea is that everyone else then has to use these utensils to serve themselves food from the buffet without getting chocolate on their hands. Although it is difficult it can sometimes be done and trying can be fun. Remember though that unlike a virus chocolate is easy to see.

Now compare this with having your food served for you. Even if the ‘carrier’ is the server you stand a better chance of keeping the chocolate off your own hands and by process out of your mouth.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Well said.......

I must say that the staff on Boudicca were pretty hot on using the hand sanitiser when you entered the restaurants/buffet, insisting that everyone had a squirt on a recent cruise of mine......the one thing that was quite unacceptable was the number of passengers who were arguing the toss with the staff at the restaurant entrance, saying they "had just washed their hands" or "I don't need that"

sad, but true!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Well said.......

I must say that the staff on Boudicca were pretty hot on using the hand sanitiser when you entered the restaurants/buffet, insisting that everyone had a squirt on a recent cruise of mine......the one thing that was quite unacceptable was the number of passengers who were arguing the toss with the staff at the restaurant entrance, saying they "had just washed their hands" or "I don't need that"

sad, but true!!

You only need one with fecal coliforms on their hands to get through and they are as good as in your mouth.

Of course one risks be a little alarmist here, the truth is that most people’s immune systems can handle small doses. As a general rule however you should avoid touching with your hands that you would not be prepared to lick.

now also the balmoral up for health authority check and a deep clean, as over 300 down with it.It does seem that fred gets more than anybody else, and is hard to defend them, must be some x factor .

steve

Does anybody know what a deep clean means? Are we meant to believe that every inch of the ship is fumigated,scubbed,wiped down with chemicals etc. I think not, bearing in mind the time the companies allow for this process to take place.I think we are being fobbed off by the cruise lines to make us think that after one of these deep cleans the ship is going to be in pristine condition and free from infection.It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has been involved in one of these deep cleans as to how effective it is.

The small - the big, the old - the new, the 2 star - the six star, they all have/had the problem.

We tend to notice it because we are interested in FOCL and whatever you say their ships do appear to have the problem more than some other lines.

There has to be more to this problem than just people failing to wash their hands after going to the toilet, are air con systems a contributery factor is there a special filter that could be put in, water storeage, staff, what is the real cause

Someone must have done some research into the subject, these cruise lines must be loosing a fortune taking a ship out of service for a deep clean

We have been on a number of river cruises and not heard of the problem, its the same situation, a number of people in small space using communial facilities

2009 was our first cruise with Fred we enjoyed it, so much that we have booked another for this year. We are still working so it takes a significant amount of our annual holidays and of course its not the cheapest way to holiday. But if the risk outways the benefits we will have to look at other holidays

Someone please tell me what research has been and is being done into the subject, please don't insult me by telling me if I wash my hands it will go away

The latest today, 3 more ships reported to have problems and they don't come any posher, bigger or newer than these

HAL - Noordam

RCI - Oasis of the Seas

Cunard - Queen Victoria

The report states that a couple more percentage points and the Queen Vic would be refused entry to New York.

What happens then, if its a transatlantic run, is it sent back to wence it came? would we let it back into Southampton

As I said previously either there has been some research done and the cruise lines need to publisise the report or there is a need for investigation.

I still struggle to believe its down to a passenger not washing their hands

In the mean time we need to follow instructions from the crew and accept they are trying to reduce the risk and we must have the 'squirt'.

In my opinion any passenger that refuses should be treated the same as someone who has the problem and restricted to their cabin for a few days, the needs of the many should take precedence over the wishes of the individual.

You don't like the rules then don't go on the cruise

Hi Nango-Gaat I was on the Boudicca on the 18/12/09 and my partner when down withe the virus, I had a cruise booker on the Boudicca for the 05/01/10, and while on the above cruise I tried to cancell or transfer to a later cruise, but failed.

regards seanie

Hi Nango-Gaat I was on the Boudicca on the 18/12/09 and my partner when down withe the virus, I had a cruise booker on the Boudicca for the 05/01/10, and while on the above cruise I tried to cancell or transfer to a later cruise, but failed.

regards seanie

I am sorry to hear that maybe too many people have been asking for refunds over the past couple of months. Certainly with us I spoke to FO day before we were due to sail they advised a Drs letter and paid in full on receipt of the letter.

regards seanie

How strange that you should be refused. Regarding the Canary Island cruise, 6 - 18 Dec on Boudicca and the next Xmas Mini Cruise 18 - 22 December, the BBC website on 22 12 2009 quoted the following (edited):

"........The firm (FO) said passengers were warned before the ship set sail for Amsterdam........

It said that Portsmouth Port Health Authority had also been made aware of the situation.......

Refund warning

A spokeswoman for Fred Olsen said: "We have been communication with Portsmouth Port Health Authority and they are very happy with how we have handled the situation.

The BBC has learned that the 827 passengers who booked the four-day mini-cruise to Zeebrugge and Amsterdam which set off on Friday were sent letters saying they should see their family doctor if they had any medical concerns.

But the spokeswoman added: "Passengers would only be eligible for a refund after cancelling the trip if their GP had advised against taking it."

I had not heard of such a letter before and asked about it on another forum yesterday - no replies.

Had I the courtesy of such a letter last year from Olsen about pre-existing norovirus infection on the Bamoral, I am certain that my GP would have advised against it - and I would have cancelled without a second thought. And been a healthier person today.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know what a deep clean means? Are we meant to believe that every inch of the ship is fumigated,scubbed,wiped down with chemicals etc. I think not, bearing in mind the time the companies allow for this process to take place.I think we are being fobbed off by the cruise lines to make us think that after one of these deep cleans the ship is going to be in pristine condition and free from infection.It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has been involved in one of these deep cleans as to how effective it is.

The FO Customer Relations told me that it did not do the job. A substantial number got the bug again on the Jan 5th voyage

It makes you wonder how much longer this can go on for, before the health authorities make FO take this ship out of service to totally eradicate this bug. Somehow I dont think it will happen. Big money talks :(

It makes you wonder how much longer this can go on for, before the health authorities make FO take this ship out of service to totally eradicate this bug. Somehow I dont think it will happen. Big money talks :(

For goodness sake, this is a winter vomiting bug which not only effects cruises but hotels, hospitals, schools etc, it is highly contagious and if just one person boards the cruise with this bug and dosn't take care with there personal hygiene it will run rife. It is up to everyone to take care with hygiene and use the antiseptic gells supplied, (I have been told that people on the cruises are ignoring them and saying they don't need to use them) I am booked on boudicca in april, I have no intention of cancelling and i will be adhearing to all hygiene requests.

It is good to read some common sense on this subject. Some people are obseesed by this illness. It is the second most common Winter ailment in the UK and people suffer from it in many places, schools, hospitals etc.

I think these websites would have more interest if they banned discussion on Norovirus and smoking. We might even talk about the pleasure and enjoyment of cruising to great places around the world.

My daughter had this bug last weekend she was really bad with it. she did the right thing and stayed away from us all, and work During the week once she felt better she steam cleaned her house, from top to bottom, She hadnt been on a cruise or holiday, So its not only cruise ships that get it. Just do your best not to spread the germ and adere to the handwashing etc on your cruise ship.

Chrissy.:)

I am due to go on this ship Feb 15th. We have never cruised before. I am very scared, confused and in a quandry whether to cancel or not, because of this virus. Any advice would be most welcome particularly from passengers that have just been on the last cruise.

FO office keep saying it is safe to travel.:confused:

Archived