norovirus again on Boudicca

bermic

You have as good a chance of cotracting this illness in restaurants, hospital, schhols etc in the UK. Go ahead and enjoy your cruise on a lovely ship. The warmth of the sun in the Canaries will do you a power of good.

Ten minutes walk from me is Wandsworth Prison where there is also a large scale outbreak.........

I know I have an eclectic taste in ships, but Boudicca is one of my 3 favourites along with QM2 & Silver Cloud.......go ahead & enjoy her! :)

I am due to go on this ship Feb 15th. We have never cruised before. I am very scared, confused and in a quandry whether to cancel or not, because of this virus. Any advice would be most welcome particularly from passengers that have just been on the last cruise.

FO office keep saying it is safe to travel.:confused:

Hi My husband and I are going on the same cruise and have been worried about the norovirus. We went on the Boudicca last year and had a brilliant time - they are very strict with the use of handgel etc.

I looked at the website given www.cruisejunkie.com and it gives lots of information and there is no mention of our ship having the virus on its current Caribbean cruise. Looking at photos of the flooding in Tenerife, hope this will not affect our stopping there!

Hi My husband and I are going on the same cruise and have been worried about the norovirus. We went on the Boudicca last year and had a brilliant time - they are very strict with the use of handgel etc.

I looked at the website given www.cruisejunkie.com and it gives lots of information and there is no mention of our ship having the virus on its current Caribbean cruise. Looking at photos of the flooding in Tenerife, hope this will not affect our stopping there!

Cruisejunkie collects its data from different sources. Entries on its site would depend upon, for example, what reports it receives from sources such the US CDC or a passenger emailing (as happened with Balmoral on 14 Jan and updated by a CDC report 3 Feb, copied below) or a media report e.g Portsmouth News and Boudicca on 22 Jan.

So the fact that Boudicca's current status information is not on the site at present means only that cruisejunkie has not been made aware of it.

I think it can't be an all inclusive information/repository, with the best will in the world! But it's a useful source.

I know that when cruisejunkie gets updates on a situation, that information is posted on the site - as an example, this is copied from the site today

January 14Balmoral

Fred Olsen Cruises</SPAN>I have received an email from a passenger on the current world cruise saying that 80 people have been confined to their cabin because of norovirus. More information will be posted as it becomes available. UPDATE February 3: The CDC reports 293 of 1163 crew (25.19%) and 17 of 519 passengers (3.28%) reported ill on the cruise running 5 January to 4 February (time in US waters on world cruise).

Maybe the only sure way to find out what is happening today is from the cruise line itself.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise and that you stay healthy! My friend is living in S Tenerife and he has not reported problems there though poor Santa Cruz has had a pasting!

Just wanted to put this information right!

cruisejunkie reports as follows:

"January 14 Balmoral

Fred Olsen Cruises

I have received an email from a passenger on the current world cruise saying that 80 people have been confined to their cabin because of norovirus. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

UPDATE February 3: The CDC reports 293 of 1163 crew (25.19%) and 17 of 519 passengers (3.28%) reported ill on the cruise running 5 January to 4 February (time in US waters on world cruise)".

The figures seemed unusual, seemingly more crew than passengers becoming sick, so it was obvious that the words 'crew' and 'passengers' needed to be reversed! The CDC report confirms this.

"........ 293 of the 1163 passengers and 17 of the 519 crew reported ill".

Surely this subject has been flogged to death!

I agree with you Parsman, this is a highly contagious virus that is affecting hospitals, hotels,prisons etc. If people flount the hygiene advise they will become affected, It is called the winter vomiting bug after all and is becoming stronger every year, give fred a break the cruises arn't the only places affected.

Archived