Box wine - anyone pack and have a problem?

brenderlou

So, what happens if they find your alcohol? They just take it and you boad the ship...?

If you have changed it into a different packing, like rum runners, it is discarded. If its in the original bottles, then they give it back at the end of the cruise.

What about those people flying to port? Wouldn't a box wine package expand during flight causing the wine to burst? I only ask because I recall taking a large coffee container (Plastic one) through a checked bag, and after arriving at my destination the seal was almost blown open on the top from the pressurization.

I second Tim's question. Has anyone packed boxed wine and flown with it? We will only be flying from Phoenix to LA but . . . Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

I always pack a Black Box and have never had a problem! I usually double bag it in the big ziplocs just in case of a puncture, but that has never happened.

This always cracks me up when I read it. I'm not trying to be mean, just maybe trying to get you to rethink this. If something is big enough and sharp enough to puncture the heavy plastic bag that is inside the fairly sturdy cardboard box, don't you think it will have to puncture the ziploc bag first to get there?:rolleyes: The same goes for people that put their glass bottles in a ziploc in case the bottle breaks. If something hits the suitcase hard enough to break a glass bottle, don't you think the glass is going to puncture the ziploc?

Doesn't RCI allow wine? Sorry but I've cruised CCL mostly and they allow it. I've brought a box of wine in my carry on luggage on Carnival and it goes right thru.

Carnival didn't allow it when I cruised with them last. People smuggled aboard in their suit cases and, of course, room stewards look the other way. They want a tip!! However, it was not really allowed.

I believe Princess allows you to bring a limited number of wine bottles aboard for consumption in your room - it's one or two I think. It's my understanding that neither Carnival nor Royal technically allow you to carry on liquor for consumption during the cruise. If you buy duty-free liquor in port, they will HOLD it for you until your cruise ends.

I second Tim's question. Has anyone packed boxed wine and flown with it? We will only be flying from Phoenix to LA but . . . Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

I have packed unopened screw-top wine bottles in my checked luggage and flown to my departure port. However, corked bottles are another matter. My BF had a corked bottle of Captain Select open under the pressure in the luggage compartment. His entire suit case, and all the contents, stank like rum. This was NOT an exercise in smuggling. He'd bought the liquor legally as duty-free purchase to take HOME.

Carnival didn't allow it when I cruised with them last. People smuggled aboard in their suit cases and, of course, room stewards look the other way. They want a tip!! However, it was not really allowed.

I believe Princess allows you to bring a limited number of wine bottles aboard for consumption in your room - it's one or two I think. It's my understanding that neither Carnival nor Royal technically allow you to carry on liquor for consumption during the cruise. If you buy duty-free liquor in port, they will HOLD it for you until your cruise ends.

Carnival allows one bottle of wine per person. My 'CARRYON" had a box of wine and they x-rayed it gave it the ok. Not sure why they wouldn't allow you to take it. They don't allow alcohol but many don't consider wine alcohol. Hard liquor is a different story. I've only tried that using rumrunners. I won't mess with it anymore cuz I've found that I just buy it at the bars and the rumrunners in my room go untouched the whole cruise so I'll skip it.

So what everyone is saying is that you CAN bring liquor/wine on board in your checked baggage and not get flagged. We are relatively new to this as only 3rd cruise and I knew people did it but not how.. So put in water bottles, put in ziplocks and pack. Is that about it?? Can you buy mixers on the ship or is it just for consumption in your cabin ?

So what everyone is saying is that you CAN bring liquor/wine on board in your checked baggage and not get flagged. We are relatively new to this as only 3rd cruise and I knew people did it but not how.. So put in water bottles, put in ziplocks and pack. Is that about it?? Can you buy mixers on the ship or is it just for consumption in your cabin ?

RCCL rules are NO alcohol can be brought on board but in all the years we have been cruising, we have never had a problem.

Personally, I think the cruise line knows what is coming on board in the luggage and as long as it's not over kill (a whole suitcase with alcohol, etc) they let it pass.

I pack wine, dh packs vodka in plastic water bottles and it has always made it. Is it a guarantee, no and we would never be upset or embarrased if it was taken.

I would bring mixers on...that is allowed, just the alcohol isn't and you can't buy mixers on the ship

Of all of the cruises I have been on, a bottle of wine was taking only on 1 cruise. It was on the Navigator several yrs ago beginning of Dec (not a peek time for teens/young adults on board). It was ONE bottle of wine I know they do not sell on baord, that I enjoy drinking. It was in my checked bag & I had to go to purser's desk to open my bag after sailing....once they saw the bottle they took and and put a luggage tag w/ name & cabin # on it. They delivered to my cabin last night of cruise (there after dinner)..... Did it ruin the cruise, no. Still had a blast and been on RCI several times since then. In fact going back on Navigator later this month and going to attempt the same (brand) bottle of wine as before! Just try and if they do take it big woop. :):):) You are cruising and not working what could be worse???????

Tina

I have not flown with boxed wine but I have taken my rum runners filled with various alcohol on the plane with no problem. If you have used them you know there are directions. I would think you could use the same process with a box wine. We have a friend who takes the bladder of the box wine when she goes to parties verses the entire box with her. I would think you could do the same and reduce some space in your luggage.

Apparently RCCL is cracking down on certain ships. I was on the Radiance and a friend had beer and scotch and had to go down and open his case. My BIL had rumrunners and had no issue. Carnival may or may not take it if it is in your carry on. They have a limit of one 750ml bottle per person. I always check my bag with boxed wine when I travel on Carnival. I didn't even try on Radiance. I bought a wine package, didn't want to wait in the long line to claim luggage. I heard my room steward telling several guests that were asking about luggage that if they had alcohol that is why they hadn't received their bags yet and would have to go to deck 2 to open their bag and take out the item. Apparently they are also doing this with irons.

Candi

I see that Wine Spectator (WS) did an article on box wines Oct 2009

This link might only work for subscribers ?

http://www.winespectator.com/magazine/show/id/40580

Here is top scoring ( list was longer ) ...

RED

87 $20 3 liter BLACK BOX  Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles 2006

87 $19 3 liter BOTA BOX  Cabernet Sauvignon California 2007

87 $17 3 liter WINE CUBE  Cabernet Sauvignon-Shiraz California 2007

85 $25 3 liter BLACK BOX  Cabernet Sauvignon California 2007

a 85 to 87 for the equiv of $5.00 a bottle(750ml) is a pretty good QPR ( quality price ratio )

WHITE

88 $17 3 liter WINE CUBE  Chardonnay California 2007

87 $25 3 liter BLACK BOX  Chardonnay Monterey County 2008

87 $17 3 liter WINE CUBE  Sauvignon Blanc California 2007

86 $19 3 liter BOTA BOX  Pinot Grigio California 2007

86 $20 3 liter KILLER JUICE  Chardonnay California Angel Juice 2007

85 $17 3 liter WINE CUBE  Pinot Grigio California 2008

Will have to test out boxes -- a real wine box newbie here --can you re-fill these containers ?? Maybe put your fav Pinot Noir or Rhone in them :-)

Greg

We always bring wine, rum and other sundries on board. Since we fly in the day before all it takes is a quick trip to the liquor store. We pack bubble wrap and lots of newspaper bags. Stuff it into our luggage (never the carry-on:eek:) and away we go. Never had a problem! We bring bottles.

So my question....not to hihack this thread- has anyone had the box open up in their luggage? I would be afraid of that because it appears to be tough to 'wrap'?

Box wine - what I didn't know :-)

1) went to Bev Mo's site ( Black Box says Wal Mart & Bev Mo sell) - they are showing 2004 Merlot ...yet an article says box wines do not age well- watch the year - would think you want a current year

2) looked up http://www.cellartracker.com I use this site for keeping my wine cellar - a great site for people trying to understand wines ( also their MB ) - very few users showing scores and when they do - are showing fairly good drop in scores vs. WS ratings'

3) noticed on http://www.winespectator.com wine rating - the 2008 bota box cab sauv. was 80 -- vs the 07 at 87 ... 80 is not an enjoyable wine - at any price .. unless you are desperate ( or on a cruise with RCCL and their rules ) - watch - every year wines have to prove them selves - one good rating doesn't mean anything the next year.

Greg

My wife always takes a box of wine when we cruise. I wrap it like a birthday gift or some sort of gift. I figure if it looks like a gift no one is going to bother with it;). We fly in and never had a problem with it in the luggage. Happy New Year to all!:)

I have taken the Wine Cube (Target) with no problem other than the refrigerator with all the stuff my DH likes! So I have also taken the single servings Cubes and refill from the big box and we are both happy!! Never had a problem in all the cruises with all lines....nor in the air! Always in checked luggage though. On a AOS cruise over Presidents week with my sister, they asked us to open all of our carryons. No wine or liquor in there!!! We must of just had that look!!!!

I have taken the Wine Cube (Target) with no problem other than the refrigerator with all the stuff my DH likes! So I have also taken the single servings Cubes and refill from the big box and we are both happy!! Never had a problem in all the cruises with all lines....nor in the air! Always in checked luggage though. On a AOS cruise over Presidents week with my sister, they asked us to open all of our carryons. No wine or liquor in there!!! We must of just had that look!!!!

Archived