? about McKinley Flyer excursion through Royal Caribbean.

S_cruiser

We are looking at booking the McKinley Flyer Tour (TK07) while on the land tour portion of our trip. It goes out of Talkeetna. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is this a good excursion to take from the standpoint of being able to get good pictures from the plane. My husband is a photography nut and he wants to be sure he can get decent pictures from the plane. For example, are the windows clear so that the pictures turn out okay.

2. What is the seating arrangement in the plane, e.g single seats on each side or are they double and you have to lean over someone to see out.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks

I too am a photography nut, and I'm thrilled with the photos I got. Having said that, though, the window quality of every plane is different, and you just never know what the weather is going to be - I got lucky on both counts.

The pilots do clean the windows. The pilot also decides who is going to sit where by weight for balance. I've had seats that definately were not the best for photography. It all depends on the layout and size of the plane. My last expensive air tour the young woman who had the window absolutely would not give me a chance to take a photo. She did her own photos with her elbows out barring my way the whole time anything was interesting.

It can happen.

Fortunately the person on the other side of me was fair and not only gave me a chance to get a few photos but took my camera to get some for me. The pilot seeing what was going on with Miss Elbows made sure she had the sun in her eyes (and camera lens) plenty. When she wanted someone to take her picture with her own camera as she posed in front of the plane, no one would do it and all walked away from her.

If you want a private flight, you can book one for a whale of a lot more money.

My last expensive air tour the young woman who had the window absolutely would not give me a chance to take a photo. She did her own photos with her elbows out barring my way the whole time anything was interesting.

Most of the planes used only have one seat on each side. It's sad that people like that exist.

For many people, the most dramatic part of the flights is akin to a spiritual experience. I remember making the last turn into "The Hall of the Mountain King" and everyone went silent for a very long time - absolutely stunned by the majesty of it.

You may want to consider booking direct, then you will know the aircraft used. A factor, you don't seem to be aware of, is the many DIFFERENT flightseeing options available out of Talkeetna. There are several routes and flying options. I have done them all, and my preference is a summit flight, be aware of the differences, summit, is OVER the top, there are many "summit" view flights along with ski planes and glacier landings.

Take a look at the options, there are some coupon offers via purchased coupon books that may be of interest to also consider.

My best McKinley view flight was with Don Sheldon. Do I need to say more? ( I am really showing my age!) After that plenty of viewings from Alaska Airlines planes bank in the days when Alaskan pilots were tour guides as they were so proud of their home state.

If you really want the best photo opportunities, spend the money and book an entire plane/flight/tour for yourself.

Well, when you are young you don't appreciate such things! I certainly was casual about the whole thing.

It was all very low tech and casual. He filtered his own fuel and did all of his own work. You never knew if or when you were going to fly (weather and etc). When he was finally ready he just walked over to his plane as if it was a Chevy and threw his chocolate bars in and took off. He never flew without Hershey bars. He would toss them down to climbers.

He knew everything that was going on. There were very few people up there in those days and few climbers. If he saw someone with a broken down truck on the road he would wing/wag and send help if needed. He knew where the climbers were supposed to be and checked on them.

He flew an awful lot of Alaskans for free or for moose meat. He didn't get rich. Flying to him was so normal as most of us think of a car. He just did it.

When you flew with him you never knew if you would have a seat to sit on as he took the seats out when he flew freight....except for his seat. I'm sure I sat on freight. He could tell what someone weighed by looking and loaded the freight himself for balance. He made it look so easy! He is certainly missed by the remaining Old Timers. Very much so! He kept his promises and was honest to a fault.

If you don't have his book, get a copy somewhere.

Archived