Gluten-Free Tips and Ideas (aka Allergies= PIA)

cruznut1111

I was so glad to see this thread! We used to cruise often, but after my son was diagnosed with Celiac we stopped. We are right now thinking about booking one for right before Christmas 2015 on Carnival. Just a short 4 day. He will be 17, and I am sure hanging with his family and grandparents won't be on the top of his list to do, but I can say when we used to cruise he was great with wanting to eat in the dinning room, and I think that is something we will urge him to do.

If we book, a few months out I will start talking to Carnival about it, and get a list for our ship of safe places and foods. I really liked reading this thread, I will make sure to visit the maitre d on the first day and let them know! I will keep following this thread!!1

• 2 months later...

Hi again. I saw a note about how old this thread is, but hopefully most of the advice is still helpful. We have all put a lot of time in this trying to save others from the problems we have had over the years.

My most recent cruise was in late May on the Regent Navigator. The night before we were at the Pan Pacific. Much has changed, but problems are still with us. I happen to react to foods that are legally gluten free. The 20ppm has too much gluten and I do react. Can also happen if I have too many under 20 in one meal. So view my comments accordingly.

I had one blimping after a wonderful gf meal at Pan Pacific. I think it was from the quinoa dish. Quinoa itself is fine, but some mixes ( one from Costco) have cross contamination.

For our second meal I got a fantastic chicken breast on salad from a restaurant across the promenade. (Opposite side from Starbucks). I think it was called something french... not boulangerie. Red awnings. Very happy and safe.

On board was okay after the first awkward buffet until I found maitre 'd.

I was able to find some BBQ skewers on the pool deck one day, but most days I was confined to the dining room and it was adequate, but BORING and not what I felt I was paying for.

After a xc in the dining room I decided to take my chances at the other venues. They were just fine and a lot more fun. I just followed the practices I've recommended here.

Best treat of the trip was the crab feast and boat trip in Wrangell. Fully gluten free and yummy.

• 4 months later...

Hi fellow gluten avoiders!

I was glad to find this thread. I will be cruising for the first time later this year and wondered what anyone can share about what's available on RCl's Enchantment of the Seas. I read this entire thread tonight, and now that I know things can vary from one ship to another, I thought I'd ask.

I do plan to call the cruise line at least two months before sailing to discuss, and probably again a few days before embarking just to double check.

How does one find the maitre'D on board, and does it need to be at mealtime? Can I look for him/her as soon as I board?

Also, the only option at booking was "My Time" dining; will that make things more difficult?

Thanks for your help and insights!

I think you will be fine with RCI as we have been on two cruises with them and had no problems. The last cruise we went on with the Oasis of the Seas they had gf marked on the menu which was very helpful. i know on the RCI cruises out of Australia they also mark gf at the windjammer buffet but not sure with the ships out of the USA. I heard that American passengers were confused as to what gf meant but that may have changed. Most Australians know what gf is so it is not an issue here. I think you can relax knowing that RCI go out of their way to accommodate dietary requirements and seem to be improving all the time. Their policy regarding this is across all ships. You are doing all the right things in letting them know ahead etc but even if you didnt you would be fine. I would not hesitate in recommending RCI for you or any celiac based on our experiences. I know our teenage celiac daughter enjoyed the food and had plenty of choice.

Edited by graceinmelbourne

I think you will be fine with RCI as we have been on two cruises with them and had no problems. The last cruise we went on with the Oasis of the Seas they had gf marked on the menu which was very helpful. i know on the RCI cruises out of Australia they also mark gf at the windjammer buffet but not sure with the ships out of the USA. I heard that American passengers were confused as to what gf meant but that may have changed. Most Australians know what gf is so it is not an issue here. I think you can relax knowing that RCI go out of their way to accommodate dietary requirements and seem to be improving all the time. Their policy regarding this is across all ships. You are doing all the right things in letting them know ahead etc but even if you didnt you would be fine. I would not hesitate in recommending RCI for you or any celiac based on our experiences. I know our teenage celiac daughter enjoyed the food and had plenty of choice.

Thank you, Grace! I appreciate the opinion and encouragement. I'd say most people in the U.S. know what gf means by now, at least when in context on a menu. Well, to clarify, most people know it stands for "gluten-free." Most people have no idea that eating gluten-free means even certain soups and ice creams might not be safe. But things overall are improving, I think.

Let me know how you go on the cruise. We were in the USA in 2012 and with a lot of research beforehand we managed fine. Without research it would have been difficult but for sure it is improving. Here it is unusual for a cafe or restaurant to not have gf marked on menu. It is going to take longer in the US to get to that stage because of the huge population and the lack of a national celiac society raising awareness there. There are many celiac groups in the US but they are very regional rather than national with makes it hit and miss with regards to celiac awarenes in certain places. We were in Hawaii last year and That has improved also.