Just back from Freedom (Western)

bogs1009

I just got back from the Freedom of the Seas on the Western Intinery. I will answer any questions that people have as I have used this to find out answers and will share my expierences with you all.

I figured this would be better than writing a review. Quick overview, we flew in the night before to Orlando, rented a car, stayed at the Radisson at the port, boarded the ship at 11:20, had a wonderful cruise on the Freedom and at the 4 port days, and disembarked at 9:20 on Sunday.

Please ask me any questions about the ship, ports, embarking, disembarking, etc.

I hope you had a great cruise!! We are going on the FOS in June. I have heard different stories about the Radisson. How was it? Was it clean? We too are flying into Orlando a day early and just wanted the latest updates, etc. Was returning the rental car easy?

THANKS!

I did have a great cruise, everything was good but be aware that the Windjammer is packed during breakfast and the food isn't very good there in my opinion. If given the option I would opt to eat in the dinning room for breakfast and lunch if it is offered that day. It really not does not take that long to eat in the dinning room.

As for the Radisson, it was an okay hotel, it served its purpose. It was clean but it is very aged on the inside and outside. It was exactly what I pictured a Florida Hotel in the 90's to look like. It needs to be updated but for being there for 15 hrs, it worked well, and couldn't beat the price or location.

Renting a car was a great option, we got off our plane got to the car rental stand (Budget - it was onsite), no line and walked out and was in the car in 10 min. It was a very easy drive to Port Canaveral, 40 min max, all on 1 road. The next day we dropped the car off at the Budget place in Port Canaveral. Waited about 20 min or so, got on the free shuttle at around 10:30ish and was at the port by 10:45. We than got our cruise card (no line) and was asked to wait for about 30 min and was aboard before 11:30.

I did have a great cruise, everything was good but be aware that the Windjammer is packed during breakfast and the food isn't very good there in my opinion. If given the option I would opt to eat in the dinning room for breakfast and lunch if it is offered that day. It really not does not take that long to eat in the dinning room.

As for the Radisson, it was an okay hotel, it served its purpose. It was clean but it is very aged on the inside and outside. It was exactly what I pictured a Florida Hotel in the 90's to look like. It needs to be updated but for being there for 15 hrs, it worked well, and couldn't beat the price or location.

Renting a car was a great option, we got off our plane got to the car rental stand (Budget - it was onsite), no line and walked out and was in the car in 10 min. It was a very easy drive to Port Canaveral, 40 min max, all on 1 road. The next day we dropped the car off at the Budget place in Port Canaveral. Waited about 20 min or so, got on the free shuttle at around 10:30ish and was at the port by 10:45. We than got our cruise card (no line) and was asked to wait for about 30 min and was aboard before 11:30.

This is great info. I have been trying to get the best option to get from the orlando airport to port canaveral. so you rented a vehicle at the airport and you were able to return it at port canaveral? what did you do when you disimbarked? did you rented again to get back to the airport?

Im only asking because this might be the best option for me because me and my wife are going next september with another couple (also we have one child per couple)

Please let me know how it when when you disembarked (since thier might be a lot of people at that time)

Thanks

Edwin

My family was on Freedom last month and also western. We too flew in day before and stayed at Radisson. Here are my comments.

1) Rented car at Orlando airport from Hertz and dropped it off at Hertz location about 3 mins from port. We got to Hertz at about 10:30am and went right onto their shuttle and over to pier. Very quick and very good. We did not rent a car post-cruise as to close for our flight so we opted for RCI shuttle.

2) We too stayed at Radisson. As stated above, rooms were very basic/plain. They were also rooms with outside doors as opposed to an interior hallway. I did not know this at time of booking and if I had I most likely would not have stayed there. While room was plain, it was very convenient having a restaurant onsite as we were quite tired Saturday night. Sunday buffet was nice but get there early as crowded. next time I will probably stay at Country Inn & Suites which is right behind Hertz and very new but will need to go offsite to eat.

3) Formal nights are days 2 & 5 (sea day and Grand Cayman). Day 6 (Cozumel) is NOT a formal night as ship in port until 7:00pm and not good for those on early dining

We did return car in Port Canaveral, the rental car place for Budget was 5 min from the Pier and 1 min from our Hotel. We did not rent a car when we returned. I also did not set up a shuttle. When we dismebarked from the ship around 9:20, which was last call, I went to where all the shuttles were and the first guy I found, I asked if there was room for 2 back to MCO. He said yes and it cost $50 for the two of us. It was not that busy as we were later in time. Depending on how much time you have it might be easiest/best just to set up a shuttle, I knwo for some of them, the more people you have the cheaper it is per person.

Like James said formal nights were day 2 and day 5 (Grand Cayman). Just as an FYI most people had suits/dressess on the formal nights but the causal nights ranged from jeans to dress pants and polos to button down shirts for men. The first and last day numerous people wore shorts to dinner. Overall I would say the dress is much more informal that I remember it being.

We are doing this itinerary in January and can't wait. We are using Laura's Shuttle(they have a website) to get from Orlando hotel to Port Canaveral. My daughter and son in law used this shuttle service two weeks ago on the Freedom and found it fine, also the price is great.

Archived