Alaska Marine Highway Cruise

We’re considering using the Alaskan ferry system to travel from Bellingham Washington to Dutch Bay (perhaps roundtrip). Any information (e.g. reviews, approximate cost, etc.) would be most appreciated. We’re from the east coast so we don’t anticipate bringing a vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Bellingham to Dutch Harbor is a very ambitious itinerary for this system. They have 3 main markets and the interconnection between them is only semi-coordinated. This will require 3 separate ferries with a few days likely overnights in between. Starting from the distant end of your plan, the Tustamena runs once a month between Kodiak and Dutch Harbor, making about 5 or 6 stops along the way. You will have about 6 hours at Dutch Harbor, and a few tour operators will be at the dock. The MV Kennicott runs between Kodiak and Juneau, and the MV Columbia runs weekly service from Bellingham to Juneau. Each of the ferries has basic cabins, a cafeteria, and a Forest Service naturalist who provides commentary on the stops along the route. For the itinerary you are looking at, I'd suggest starting with the Kodiak-Dutch Harbor schedule, then checking the Cross Gulf route on the Kennicott, and finally find the connection with the Columbia which will complete your itinerary. If you find a long layover in Juneau, consider taking one of the other vessels to/from Juneau, and making a stopover at one of the other towns along this route. I will be using the ferry system for the third time this summer and highly recommend it.

I just browsed the schedules. There appear to be no practical northbound connections, it would require a 3 1/2 week layover in Kodiak. You would probably want to fly to either Kodiak or Dutch Harbor, and take the ferry back to Bellingham. There would be about a 4-day layover in Juneau, but you could take an earlier ferry from Juneau to Petersburg, Wrangell, or Ketchikan, and finish the trip on the Columbia. To book, you would have to go into the Multi-city reservations search and go Dutch Harbor-Kodiak-Whittier-Juneau-Bellingham. I also noticed that while there is always deck space, cabins from Dutch Harbor to Kodiak are already pretty well sold out.

• 4 weeks later...

Meridian Skipper I traveled on the Alaskan Marine Highway in June 2002. Like you, I wanted to leave from Bellingham and end up in Dutch Harbor.

But I couldn't get the timeframe between the ships and ports that I wanted so I just opt to go round trip inside passage from Bellingham.

I sailed on the M/S Columbia for my trip. I opted for a cabin for this trip. There are several options on board. In addition to the cabins, there was an area with lounge chairs, an area for tent set up and plastic lounge chairs outside under heat lamps. If you want a cabin,book it fast because they do sell out. Also, the cabin prices are by cabin and not per person. I opted of a two person cabin.

On boarding day, arrived about two hours prior to sailing at the port. There were maps showing the route and other info. People were asking about cabins (sold out) when checking in. The one thing about the Alaskan ships is people could take their cars,RV's and motorbikes on board to park below decks.

Once on board, I checked in for my cabin. It was small,but plenty of space for me. It was bunk bed style with a shower bathroom. My cabin had a window with thick curtains (found out about this later). I was also near the purser's desk.

The sailing was an intresting mix of people. There were college students heading back home, military families heading back to bases, alot of backpackers, people heading to work for the season in various parks, and vacationers.

The ports that the Columbia was stopping at were Ketchikan,Haines,Juneau,Sitka,Petersburg,Skagway, and Wrangell. Since I did the sailing round trip, I got to visit Ketchikan twice. Some of the ports like Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, we were there for at least three hours or more. Others like Wrangell, we arrived late at night and were there for less than a hour. We were in Sitka and Haines right at three hours. Petersburg only about a hour. At the ports were we where there a longer time, local vendors offered short tours of the towns. In Sitka, one of my co-workers daughter lived there and took me out for lunch that day.

The first part of the trip was slightly rough seawise,but it calm down. I will never forget at 4 a.m. in the morning that the sun was out shining bright!

The vibe was 360 from a cruiseship. The people on board was nice and it was fun listening to everyone reason for visiting Alaska. For those who had cars and RV's, there were several times during the day that you were allowed below deck to that area (quite a few people with RV's had dogs and cats) to check things out and to walk their pets.

There's a snack bar and a dining room on board. The pricing was reasonable,but I purchased snacks and drinks for my cabin and bought a few items along the way.

There was a park ranger on board that gave talks about the various points along the way. What I recall was how finding out that for many people in small towns and islands that you could only reach them by boat or plane. When we passed one island, the captain had announce that this certain family have lived on that island for over three generations and the mother knew the ship schedules better than anyone. She was out ringing her bell and waving at us.

At the major stops like Ketchikan,Skagway and Juneau, you had people leaving the ship and checking in. Once we reach Skagway, everyone except about 70 people were off the ship.

The return from Skagway to Bellingham was nice. Most of us were on the back deck until after 10 p.m. (that's when the sky begin to darken).

The total price for the round trip and a cabin in 2002 for me was $1174.

It was different and in some ways I enjoyed it more than my cruiseships.

I still want to travel to Dutch Harbor and now with Holland America sailing there, I might do it that way. If not, I will fly into Dutch Harbor and then take the ferry to Juneau.

If you have any more questions, I will check back on this thread!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a small ship cruise on the Adriatic, and have not had time to think through the Alaskan adventure,

Your roundtrip approach seems to fit our needs, especially since Dutch Harbor seems almost too hard. We’re too old and set in our ways to settle for deck space rather than a cabin. Since cabins appear to sell out early we may be out-of-luck for this season.

How many days did your trip involve?

We just returned from a small ship cruise on the Adriatic, and have not had time to think through the Alaskan adventure,

Your roundtrip approach seems to fit our needs, especially since Dutch Harbor seems almost too hard. We’re too old and set in our ways to settle for deck space rather than a cabin. Since cabins appear to sell out early we may be out-of-luck for this season.

How many days did your trip involve?

The round trip inside passage was seven days total. Four days going north and three days returning south.

The only fault was with the exception of Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, don't expect much time in the ports. The longest port time was on the northern portion of Ketchikan. The ship don't dock in the downtown area,but about two to three miles north. I want to say we were there four or five hours the first stop and about three hours on the second stop. In Skagway, we were there about four hours. In Juneau we were there several hours (I stayed on board that day,not feeling well),but tours by local vendors were offered. Skita was a little tighter with about two to three hours. In Hanies, we were also there a short time of about two hours (still manage to take a tour a buy a wonderful whalebone artwork that I enjoy everyday:)!). With the other ports, nothing but to step off a quick few minutes and back on board. If you want more port time, a cruiseship will be better.

I also know some people were catching the ship later or another ferry ship to spend a few days in the popular ports (Ketchikan,Skagway,Juneau),but I don't know how that works.

As for the cabins, yes,book it soon as you know what dates for sailing. The cabins are priced by cabin,not per person. They offered two berth and four berth cabins. The rooms are very basic with a bathroom with shower and small area for storage.

Also, I suggest a small cooler for drinks and bring snacks. The drink and snack cost is very expensive in Alaska.

I spent two days in Bellingham. Nice town that close to Vancouver and Seattle.

On return from the cruise, I took Amtrack to Seattle (the train station is also in the same area as the port)

If you have any more questions,just ask!! Please to help :D!!!

• 1 month later...

I am curious about this service. Do you need a passport if travelling from Bellingham? Reason I ask is I believe the voyage makes a stop at Prince Rupert, B.C. Wouldn't that make it necessary to check all passengers when re-entering the next U.S. port? If I recall, that is what happens on cruise ships, that have stopped at Victoria enroute from Seattle to Alaska.

Unless, perhaps they have some US Customs and Immigration at Prince Rupert (unlikely, due to its 'remote' location), to pre-screen only those boarding or reboarding at that location.

I am curious about this service. Do you need a passport if travelling from Bellingham? Reason I ask is I believe the voyage makes a stop at Prince Rupert, B.C. Wouldn't that make it necessary to check all passengers when re-entering the next U.S. port? If I recall, that is what happens on cruise ships, that have stopped at Victoria enroute from Seattle to Alaska.

Unless, perhaps they have some US Customs and Immigration at Prince Rupert (unlikely, due to its 'remote' location), to pre-screen only those boarding or reboarding at that location.

You can take a passport, but the round trip inside passage cruise from Bellingham only visit Alaskan ports. Since the ship is a US vessel, they don't have to visit a Canadian port.

Since the majority of the cruisehips are non US ships, they have to stop in Canada (most in Victoria,BC) if they start in a US port.

You can take a passport, but the round trip inside passage cruise from Bellingham only visit Alaskan ports. Since the ship is a US vessel, they don't have to visit a Canadian port.

Since the majority of the cruisehips are non US ships, they have to stop in Canada (most in Victoria,BC) if they start in a US port.

I thought the voyage made a port stop at Prince Rupert to pickup and discharge passengers, not make a 'cruise' port of call. And I thought the voyage is considered a 'line run', not a cruise, although you can make it so if you wish.

I thought the voyage made a port stop at Prince Rupert to pickup and discharge passengers, not make a 'cruise' port of call. And I thought the voyage is considered a 'line run', not a cruise, although you can make it so if you wish.

I was on the Columbia and we did not stop in Prince Rupert. Now they may use another ship that use Bellingham as the base. But the Columbia was strictly all Alaskan ports once leaving Bellingham.

Go to the Alaskan State Ferry website.

I just went over to the Alaskan State Ferry website.

They are now using the Matanuska round trip Bellingham. On the northern portion of the inside passage the stops are Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Haines and Skagway. The southern return portion is the same with Sitka added in.

They do offer ship service from Prince Rupert on another ship (Taku), but if you leave out of Bellingham, no direct stop to Prince Rupert.

I hope this helps!!!

I just went over to the Alaskan State Ferry website.

They are now using the Matanuska round trip Bellingham. On the northern portion of the inside passage the stops are Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Haines and Skagway. The southern return portion is the same with Sitka added in.

They do offer ship service from Prince Rupert on another ship (Taku), but if you leave out of Bellingham, no direct stop to Prince Rupert.

I hope this helps!!!

Okay, then the passengers from Bellingham do not need to worry about passports, as only those transferring to another vessel from Alaska can get to Prince Rupert.

Thanks for doing the research.

OK - I love a good scheduling challenge, so I've been working on this for two days.

I have never had so much struggle to get a "Simple" itinerary put together. But, I have found one from Bellingham to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska. Don't even ask for a return trip! :)

All fares are for basic accomodation for one.

Bellingham to Juneau on the Matanuska from 5/14 to 5/17. $326

Juneau to Whittier on the Kennicott from 5/23 to 5/25. $277 (Plus 6 nites hotel in Juneau!)

Whittier to Kodiak on the same boat from 5/25 to 5/26 $121 (you have to book it this way - the system doesn't let you book from Juneau to Kodiak. -:confused: )

Kodiak to Dutch Harbor on the Tustumena from 5/26 to 5/29 $293 (for some reason, can't book online right now).

All in all, 15 days, $1017 PLUS food PLUS upgraded accommodations PLUS hotel in Juneau.

On the other hand, you can take the Holland America Ryndham from Vancouver to Anchorage on May 9th for $499 (+fees & grat) and you'll still have to wait 9 days to get to Dutch Harbor on the AMHS.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

i get to ride the ferry all of the time for pleasure and work. i first came to psg on the m/v malaspiña via prince rupert in 1982. they are not intended to be cruise ships. this is a transportation system. port time is usually just long enough to load/unload. though they may have a longer layover if they are waiting for a correct tide; wrangell narrows, peril strait, etc. you will get to visit cities and take routes that are unavailable to the mega ships. travel is during the night and day to make a schedule, not for your convenience or viewing pleasure.

in my experience.............. out of staters on the ferry are more educated about the places they are going than those off of cruise ships. my experience.

there are canadian and us cutoms officers at p.rupert, so if you step off the ship........

as most towns do not get daily ferry service, if you decide that you'd like to step off and visit a stop for a couple of days, you will be there until the next ferry.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wanting to do the trip you're suggesting ever since 2000 when I was with a small camping/hiking group in Southeast Alaska and used the ferry to get our van from place to place. We pitched a tent on deck (the hum and vibration put me right to sleep). The food was fine...delicious but not fancy. The cabins were spartan but acceptable. There are naturalists on board. Best part is that you get to stop at wonderful places like Wrangell, Petersburg, Haines, Tenakee Springs, etc. that the big boats can't visit. I haven't been southwest of Anchorage (to the Aleutians) but I understand that it can be quite rough as their weather is not as good as other places even in summer. If deck camping or sleeping on the deck chair or floor isn't your style, book your cabin early (like this year for next season). Getting a schedule together is quite a challenge since you'll probably want to spend a day or two or more in some places and the ferry will have moved on without you. The route you are talking about involves several different lines with different schedules for you to coordinate. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

That Alaska Ferry sounds interesting. I just took an Alaska cruise on Carnival, including a stop in Victoria. While passports are recomended, they do accept birth certificates for cruise travel. Funny thing is, passports were required for the Yukon train ride from Skagway, but not while visiting Victoria BC.

Bakdor

Okay, then the passengers from Bellingham do not need to worry about passports, as only those transferring to another vessel from Alaska can get to Prince Rupert.

Thanks for doing the research.

Can you see glaciers from the Alaska Ferry ?

Bakdor

Meridian Skipper I traveled on the Alaskan Marine Highway in June 2002. Like you, I wanted to leave from Bellingham and end up in Dutch Harbor.

But I couldn't get the timeframe between the ships and ports that I wanted so I just opt to go round trip inside passage from Bellingham.

I sailed on the M/S Columbia for my trip. I opted for a cabin for this trip. There are several options on board. In addition to the cabins, there was an area with lounge chairs, an area for tent set up and plastic lounge chairs outside under heat lamps. If you want a cabin,book it fast because they do sell out. Also, the cabin prices are by cabin and not per person. I opted of a two person cabin.

On boarding day, arrived about two hours prior to sailing at the port. There were maps showing the route and other info. People were asking about cabins (sold out) when checking in. The one thing about the Alaskan ships is people could take their cars,RV's and motorbikes on board to park below decks.

Once on board, I checked in for my cabin. It was small,but plenty of space for me. It was bunk bed style with a shower bathroom. My cabin had a window with thick curtains (found out about this later). I was also near the purser's desk.

The sailing was an intresting mix of people. There were college students heading back home, military families heading back to bases, alot of backpackers, people heading to work for the season in various parks, and vacationers.

The ports that the Columbia was stopping at were Ketchikan,Haines,Juneau,Sitka,Petersburg,Skagway, and Wrangell. Since I did the sailing round trip, I got to visit Ketchikan twice. Some of the ports like Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, we were there for at least three hours or more. Others like Wrangell, we arrived late at night and were there for less than a hour. We were in Sitka and Haines right at three hours. Petersburg only about a hour. At the ports were we where there a longer time, local vendors offered short tours of the towns. In Sitka, one of my co-workers daughter lived there and took me out for lunch that day.

The first part of the trip was slightly rough seawise,but it calm down. I will never forget at 4 a.m. in the morning that the sun was out shining bright!

The vibe was 360 from a cruiseship. The people on board was nice and it was fun listening to everyone reason for visiting Alaska. For those who had cars and RV's, there were several times during the day that you were allowed below deck to that area (quite a few people with RV's had dogs and cats) to check things out and to walk their pets.

There's a snack bar and a dining room on board. The pricing was reasonable,but I purchased snacks and drinks for my cabin and bought a few items along the way.

There was a park ranger on board that gave talks about the various points along the way. What I recall was how finding out that for many people in small towns and islands that you could only reach them by boat or plane. When we passed one island, the captain had announce that this certain family have lived on that island for over three generations and the mother knew the ship schedules better than anyone. She was out ringing her bell and waving at us.

At the major stops like Ketchikan,Skagway and Juneau, you had people leaving the ship and checking in. Once we reach Skagway, everyone except about 70 people were off the ship.

The return from Skagway to Bellingham was nice. Most of us were on the back deck until after 10 p.m. (that's when the sky begin to darken).

The total price for the round trip and a cabin in 2002 for me was $1174.

It was different and in some ways I enjoyed it more than my cruiseships.

I still want to travel to Dutch Harbor and now with Holland America sailing there, I might do it that way. If not, I will fly into Dutch Harbor and then take the ferry to Juneau.

If you have any more questions, I will check back on this thread!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife and I did this trip in 2004. Well half of it. We got on in Bellingham, and got off in Haines. We had a really good time. It was a really neat way to travel. I'd do it again, especially since the AF paid our fare. (almost 2k with the car) We were lucky and managed to get a cabin. Not sure I'd do it with out a cabin, especially if it's for vacation.

daze

• 1 month later...

I dont mean to sound mean but why dont you have a passport? If something happened to you, you got sick and had to go to a hospital in CN you would have a hard time getting home. The US border is a bear to cross. We had abig truck and every time we went to CN, The US Border Patrol acted like we were axe murderers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived