January Water Temperatures

Caribbean Buckeye

We are going on a Cruise with Carnival in mid-January aboard the Destiny. We've never cruised in the winter time and don't know what to expect with regard to ocean and pool temperatures. In June or July, it feels like bath water.

We've booked several water activities for our excursions and would like to know how cold the water will be in Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. Any info is much appreciated!

We are going on a Cruise with Carnival in mid-January aboard the Destiny. We've never cruised in the winter time and don't know what to expect with regard to ocean and pool temperatures. In June or July, it feels like bath water.

We've booked several water activities for our excursions and would like to know how cold the water will be in Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. Any info is much appreciated!

Steve, I leave for my Caribbean Cruise in two weeks. I was there last January and swam with the dolphins in Cozumel (which I plan to do this time as well). The water was a little cooler than it is in the summer but by no means uncomfortable (once you get wet). Have no idea what the temp of the water was but it was warmer than it was in Ft. Lauderdale . . . :p

I have cruised in January for the past 7 years(2010 on the Carnival Spirit!!!). It'll likely only be cool the day you leave(65-70 degrees). You might see temps top 80 degrees. It's only been very hot on one of my Jan. cruises(Southern Carib. on the Destiny - 2002). My family & I continue to cruise in January because it's never very hot, there's very few children on the ship, it's cheap and outside of the very popular ports(Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas), the ports are never crowded. We are already looking into going on the Carnival Miracle in 2011(Aruba itin.).

Hey there Caribbean Buckeye...

I'm a Gator/UF grad, married to a Buckeye/tOSU grad.

We live in Florida. We plus DD are crusing the 5 day Bahamas itinerary on Destiny starting 12/28. We will let you know what we think of the water.

My Buckeye spouse and DD can tolerate colder water (OK, colder everything!) than I can, so I'll be sure to give you both perspectives.

Are you one of those Ohio people that wears shorts + t-shirt when it's 55 degrees outside? :eek: I knew quite a few of those in Columbus. My spouse used to be one...then after a few years of living here, he is less tolerant of the cold than he used to be...but he still does better than I do. I don't like to be outdoors if it's less than 68 degrees outside.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Verngator: Yes, I'm a warm-blooded Northerner who wears shorts and thinks 55 degrees is "moderate," but I have an entirely different feeling about water. While I feel warm normally, I can't stand cold water. I don't know what it is but cold air doesn't bother me as much as cold water. Perhaps when you're skin always feels hot, the contrast of cold air feels good but the shock of cold water feels bad.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll suck it up and swim with those dolphins. I just hate to think I'll be experiencing anything cold when I leave the low temps of the North for my temporary paradise in the Caribbean.

DH and I are snorkel lovers and bought 'shortie' wetsuits (don't go all the way down arms and legs) and invested in our own very portable blow-up life vests, etc. Have snorkeled in Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Belize, Hawaii. I always wear the shortie/life vest because I'm always on an excursion where we are far enough out in the water for it to be cooler than close to shore. Plus the shortie and life vest keep me buoyant so I use less energy staying afloat and more energy for moving around. So my experience is, if you're close to shore in shallow water it will probably be warm enough, but if on an excursion over open sea, wear a shortie!

Good luck whatever you choose, and enjoy!

We cruise in January as well (leaving in less than 3 weeks). The water temps in the Bahamas will be a little cooler, but to some people it's ok. Too cold for me, but my kids jumped right in. Further south (Virgin Islands, St. Maarten, etc..) the water was nice.

Are you one of those Ohio people that wears shorts + t-shirt when it's 55 degrees outside? :eek: I knew quite a few of those in Columbus. My spouse used to be one...then after a few years of living here, he is less tolerant of the cold than he used to be...but he still does better than I do. I don't like to be outdoors if it's less than 68 degrees outside.

You warm weather hermits :D.

55 degrees is warm enough to wear shorts for me. Though, right now anything is warmer than single digits. Lol

I'm happy to report that even though Florida was experiencing a cold front during our cruise, the water in the Bahamas was sufficiently warm for even ME to swim. DD and I did the horseback riding excursion on Grand Turk - got wet...then we did swim on Half Moon Cay. The first few seconds were indeed cold but it was fine after that! Lots and lots of folks were swimming...

Of course right after that it was back to our purple cabana!

Archived