Extra Security Precautions and time due to foiled attack on 12/25/09

Sunviking

I think if it continues on like this we might just drive down from Canada to FLL. That has a tone of sarcasim as well as a tone of truth. At least we can pull over and go to the washroom. Hopefully these restrictions will conclude in the near future for all those travelling.

I wonder if it will be like The A-Team where they'll soon have to knock us all unconsious before we fly, until we arrive at our final destination point... you know like they did to BA Baracus.:rolleyes:

These restrictions aren't too different than flying into Reagan National after 9/11 so IMHO, it's inconvenient but not worth driving thousands of miles.

On the Regent BB there was a post with a link to an article re: extra TSA precautions and time due to yesterday's attempted terrorist event on a Northwest flight to Detroit. Thought anyone flying soon might be interested so you can allow extra time to get through security.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1108672

Sorry, no details right now but there was some type incident at Detroit Metro airport this afternoon involving a Northwest flight from Amsterdam which landed here this PM. Irate passenger lcoked in bathroom, plane vacuated, FBI etc on scene, the whole but. Watch out for the flying security now.icon9.gif We are flyin Delta to Puereto Rico next month-?icon9.gif

CNN is now saying it was someone with a legitimate medical ailment that just took too long in the bathroom. There will probably be many overreactions in the coming few days. Hope it's over by the time we fly in January! (We live in/near Detroit so can't avoid the airport here!)

Why not just handcuff and leg shackle everyone to their seats? I mean, since we're all potential criminals and terrorists, we can't possibly complain about ridiculous overreactions. It's all for "safety", after all, right? Everyone must be guilty.

Come on. This is like trying to kil a fly with a shotgun. The explosives swab test they run at the airport detects PTEN (what the ******* on the NWA flight used). So do the puffers. Why are they going through all these ridiculous procedures, when the current security protocol was supposed to detect this? Does this mean that the current screening is inadequate? You don't say! Why aren't they using the puffers anymore? Let's just come up with new stupid rules to irritate everyone and make no one safer.

No getting up in the last hour? Yeah, because it would never happen 61 minutes before arrival. No electronics so you don't know where you are? Yeah, I can't feel the plane descending, so we must be in the middle of nowhere! No IFE because god forbid we let our passengers enjoy their trips! Happy passengers just make for a greater threat. Of course, now, since you don't have TVs to watch, you can easily overreact to everyone else sitting on the plane. That guy over there is shifty. Must be ready to blow something up! Let's get him! (like that poor sap today - sick in the washroom, and unfortunately for him, Nigerian, so obviously must be up to something! Let's get him!)

I like the previous poster's suggestion to just anaesthetize everyone on the flight. Stack them up in absorbent lining so when people go to the bathroom, they don't leak, and you can pack 1,000 people on a 737. Problem solved!

If it weren't post-final payment, I'd seriously consider cancelling my cruise simply to avoid this garbage. It's really getting to be not worth it to fly. I've cut back work travel so much and I don't miss it one bit.

These restrictions aren't too different than flying into Reagan National after 9/11 so IMHO, it's inconvenient but not worth driving thousands of miles.

This is very true... but I've also lost days at airports due to simple problems like weather delays so sometimes being in control of your fate is better.

Flying doesn't scare me at all. This year I had 16 flights, around 30 last year, around 40 in 2007 and almost 50 2006. The flights aren't the problems it is just the inconvience.... or maybe it is just the time lost waiting for connections or transfers or security. Not to mention some of the people around you that are on edge because they just don't travel well. Flying is really like cruising... you take what you get (go where the ship takes you) and you make the best of it, not to mention the airline lounges that give a little r&r to the weary soul.

Pam, you are correct though, it currently is faster than driving, and truth be told I'd rather wait a bit longer and get there way faster than drive those thousands of miles. I guess winning lotto max and private jet could solve a few security issues as well.:)

My understanding any explosive can be programmed to detonate when the plane is descending from one altitude to the other, in checked baggage.

What i have heard is no pillows , blankets, etc for last hour, no access to restrooms... rumour has it additional security screening and the faa is "training" security to recognize what "pieces " of explosives can look like separately in hand-carried luggage than may be assembled once in the cabin of the plane, may take some time, as several people could bring a "piece", and piece it together once onboard.

The scariest problem is the concept of plasitic explosive in a" body cavity" which cannot be detected through "strip" body scan or x-ray ......will we all be subjected to "cavity" searches in the future? Best thing is to always be aware in airports and in plane cabins of unusual activity.

Air Canada is advising its passenger to bring only one personnal item on board since Christmas day. They also lifted all checked luggage fees to compensate for this inconvinience... I don't know about other airlines.

And now that the same incident happened AGAIN in Detroit today (I'm glued to CNN!) I'm so relieved I've changed my flight!!

I'm in Detroit now. The evening TV news said it was a sick person, no type terrest etc. The flight crew was just being safe because that flight was from amsterdam, was Northwest, an d the day after xmas. So that's the current story regardinf the Sunday incident.

On the Regent BB there was a post with a link to an article re: extra TSA precautions and time due to yesterday's attempted terrorist event on a Northwest flight to Detroit. Thought anyone flying soon might be interested so you can allow extra time to get through security.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1108672

Pure speculation, no changes domectic.

Why post unverified changes???

Yes so far this is affecting only flights traveling from outside of the US into the US. I have to comment that flying in from Canada this affects us, it is too bad, because Canadians travel the most to the US for their trips, and during this economic time this just puts another reason not to travel. So many people have allredy curtailed their travel south, this could only make it worse.

Remember when it was fun to fly....

Yes so far this is affecting only flights traveling from outside of the US into the US. I have to comment that flying in from Canada this affects us, it is too bad, because Canadians travel the most to the US for their trips, and during this economic time this just puts another reason not to travel. So many people have allredy curtailed their travel south, this could only make it worse.

Remember when it was fun to fly....

I thought the same thing!

:(:(:(

"If it weren't post-final payment, I'd seriously consider cancelling my cruise simply to avoid this garbage. It's really getting to be not worth it to fly."

I agree 100%. Travel from the UK to the USA is fast becoming not worth the effort. Economy passengers are being milked by the airlines and then treated like cattle on the aircraft - im my opinion.

I am due to cruise next month and irrespective of how good it is I have made up my mind that the USA is now off my agenda.

Anyone flying out of Toronto, I heard this morning on the news that they are asking people to have minimal carry on (eg. purse) and that anything with wheels has to be checked.

Also flights are being cancelled and consolidated. They are using larger planes to be able to do this. So better check to see if you are flying at the time you thought you were.

I suspect a lot of people will be missing ships that have to fly in from outside the US. Even if they do plan and are booked the day before there is a good chance that flight will be cancelled and they will end up not being able to get a flight to get them to the ship on time.

I wonder if insurance covers extra airport security requirements causing a person to miss their cruise?

Anyone flying out of Toronto, I heard this morning on the news that they are asking people to have minimal carry on (eg. purse) and that anything with wheels has to be checked.

Also flights are being cancelled and consolidated. They are using larger planes to be able to do this. So better check to see if you are flying at the time you thought you were.

I suspect a lot of people will be missing ships that have to fly in from outside the US. Even if they do plan and are booked the day before there is a good chance that flight will be cancelled and they will end up not being able to get a flight to get them to the ship on time.

I wonder if insurance covers extra airport security requirements causing a person to miss their cruise?

I don't understand - the guy had the explosive taped to his body. What difference does a carry on make? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't understand - the guy had the explosive taped to his body. What difference does a carry on make? :confused::confused::confused:

The only thing I can guess is that they are hand searching all carry on, so something large, like a wheeled suitcase would take longer to search and cause an even bigger backlog?

I believe over the weekend the news said the U.K. airlines were doing this. It may have been elswhere too, but I vaguely remember this being reported.

Over here we have only been allowed one piece on carry-on since 07 even ladies hand bags have to go into a small carry-on if used. all fluids into clear plastic bag and not over 100ml.

This has reduced somewhat the contents of all overhead lockers and that is a good thing as now most bags fit.

There is no need for any carry-on bags on short haul flights under four hours, then lock the overhead bins on others only opened by request.

Over here we have only been allowed one piece on carry-on since 07 even ladies hand bags have to go into a small carry-on if used.

I ran into this a few years ago. I had checked all the airlines I was flying to Russia and they all allowed a purse plus carry on and then we ran into Heathrow and I had to put my purse in my carry on. I thought it was a British Airlines rule and they told me it was a Heathrow rule. It was a pain.

I am considering cancelling my next cruise as I am sick of air travel. Problem is that I am not close enough to drive anywhere easily from where I live.

I ran into this a few years ago. I had checked all the airlines I was flying to Russia and they all allowed a purse plus carry on and then we ran into Heathrow and I had to put my purse in my carry on. I thought it was a British Airlines rule and they told me it was a Heathrow rule. It was a pain.

I am considering cancelling my next cruise as I am sick of air travel. Problem is that I am not close enough to drive anywhere easily from where I live.

I too may put off my much anticipated Grand Cruise in May. An overseas flight with so much pain-in-the-assness. Not for me.....

Maybe I do something else this year and wait and see how the mess settles. Final payment is a few months away

Over here we have only been allowed one piece on carry-on since 07 even ladies hand bags have to go into a small carry-on if used. all fluids into clear plastic bag and not over 100ml.

This has reduced somewhat the contents of all overhead lockers and that is a good thing as now most bags fit.

There is no need for any carry-on bags on short haul flights under four hours, then lock the overhead bins on others only opened by request.

Here in the US, they allow one carry on bag and one personal item (such as a purse or laptop). We have the same restrictions on fluids.

Because the airlines here charge a fee for all checked bags, most passengers try to fit everything in their carry-on so they can avoid the extra charges. They don't carry on the bag because they need access to it during the flight - they carry it so they don't get charged for it. I like your suggestion of locking the overhead bins. Or the airlines could just do away with the charges for checked bags and people can check things through to the final destination. Boarding goes so much faster when there is less hand luggage.

I think, after reading all of these posts, what a carry on! We fly most years from UK to US and the security is a pain but worth it. Our arirports have always restricted carry on luggage since 07 and a good thing too, some people cant travel without half of their 'house' with them. Anyway this terrorist should have caused an alert as he had no luggage from Lagos in Nigeria all the way to the US, that is suspiscious in itself. If it is reduced to one carry on per person just bring a bigger carry on and put you 'purse' inside. Why do you need pillows and blankets on a flight, the airlines usually supply their own on long haul, I think you US folks have been spoiled we have dealt with terrorism for years and years (IRA before the latest terrorism) and a longer wait time has not put us off of travelling. There will always be the possibility of a terrorist getting on a flight but the most we can do to make this difficult for them the better.

"If it weren't post-final payment, I'd seriously consider cancelling my cruise simply to avoid this garbage. It's really getting to be not worth it to fly."

I agree 100%. Travel from the UK to the USA is fast becoming not worth the effort. Economy passengers are being milked by the airlines and then treated like cattle on the aircraft - im my opinion.

I am due to cruise next month and irrespective of how good it is I have made up my mind that the USA is now off my agenda.

i do have to agree, I love cruising but think I will start cruising in and out of my home port, but Alaska can get a little tiring after a while.

We too have decided to not take another trip south this coming year after our trip in January mainly because of the air travel and the headaches that it entails. We will stay within our Country or do road trips.

The issue with only one carry on is because of the searching that is being done at the gate before you board (according to the news). And most people wouldn't have to bring so many carry ons if the airlines wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for checked bags, not to mention the chance of them loosing the bag too

Why not just handcuff and leg shackle everyone to their seats? I mean, since we're all potential criminals and terrorists, we can't possibly complain about ridiculous overreactions. It's all for "safety", after all, right? Everyone must be guilty.

Come on. This is like trying to kil a fly with a shotgun. The explosives swab test they run at the airport detects PTEN (what the ******* on the NWA flight used). So do the puffers. Why are they going through all these ridiculous procedures, when the current security protocol was supposed to detect this? Does this mean that the current screening is inadequate? You don't say! Why aren't they using the puffers anymore? Let's just come up with new stupid rules to irritate everyone and make no one safer.

No getting up in the last hour? Yeah, because it would never happen 61 minutes before arrival. No electronics so you don't know where you are? Yeah, I can't feel the plane descending, so we must be in the middle of nowhere! No IFE because god forbid we let our passengers enjoy their trips! Happy passengers just make for a greater threat. Of course, now, since you don't have TVs to watch, you can easily overreact to everyone else sitting on the plane. That guy over there is shifty. Must be ready to blow something up! Let's get him! (like that poor sap today - sick in the washroom, and unfortunately for him, Nigerian, so obviously must be up to something! Let's get him!)

I like the previous poster's suggestion to just anaesthetize everyone on the flight. Stack them up in absorbent lining so when people go to the bathroom, they don't leak, and you can pack 1,000 people on a 737. Problem solved!

If it weren't post-final payment, I'd seriously consider cancelling my cruise simply to avoid this garbage. It's really getting to be not worth it to fly. I've cut back work travel so much and I don't miss it one bit.

Agree completely with BillyBob123. Exactly what we were thinking; the "shotgun effect".

Create pandemonium and fear. Oh, and look who really won this one....

Have a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Archived