Extra Security Precautions and time due to foiled attack on 12/25/09

Sunviking

Myself I will just get to the airport earlier.:)

Its not the Airport or Governments to blame for this increase in security it is a very few persons in this world trying to control us and make our lives a misery. Remember as in the fairy tale' Good' always rules over evil in the end:)

I am pleased that our governments are trying their very best to keep us all safe and secure on our journeys.What a hard task they have in hand.

Also these few bad eggs in this world of ours are not going to stop me from nipping over the border ,flying to UK and exotic places to board my Princess ship. They are not going to win and make my life miserable not for one moment.:)

We're flying tomorrow. Can only hope there won't be issues D:

So far, the increased security is supposedly only for persons traveling TO the U. S.

A few minutes ago Atlanta Airport (the world's busiest) is only reporting normal 10 minute security lines.

Mike:)

billybob is right in what he says and i agree with him, talk about over reaction? why was this guy given a visa in the first place? why was it not removed to stop him traveling despite the usa knowing about him ? why also did the usa once again ignore a warning 4 days before that there was a hightened threat?

Once again the orchard is cut down due to one bad apple! we too will also be reviewing whether our trip to FLL next year is worth the hassle.

As for stopping people using toilets and making them sit in their seats like naughty school children for the last hour of a flight just what does the buffoon who came up with it think it will solve? or refusing people pillows or blankets on flights where the captain is over zealous with the air con?

For it to be effective there would have to be no toilets and no overhead storage.... lunatics runnig the assylum again..... :mad:

As for stopping people using toilets and making them sit in their seats like naughty school children for the last hour of a flight just what does the buffoon who came up with it think it will solve? or refusing people pillows or blankets on flights where the captain is over zealous with the air con?

This is why I choose to travel by train whenever it is practical. None of the hassles of flying. It is a much more civilized way to go.

Heard from who?

A Toronto Star article updated just a few minutes ago said this.....

New security measures include only one carry-on bag with a restricted size, no wheeled bags and patdowns at customs.

While some passengers knew about the new security rules, others had to stop and re-pack their bags or even buy new luggage at the airport.

A Toronto Star article updated just a few minutes ago said this.....

New security measures include only one carry-on bag with a restricted size, no wheeled bags and patdowns at customs.

While some passengers knew about the new security rules, others had to stop and re-pack their bags or even buy new luggage at the airport.

One of the things that used to irk me and will again if it reinstated is the second bag check at the gate. Oh brother!!! :mad:

One of the things that used to irk me and will again if it reinstated is the second bag check at the gate. Oh brother!!! :mad:

I hear ya...and a couple of days ago, they were not allowing backpacks to be carried aboard. Not sure if that is still the case. The no wheels thing would be a huge unconvenience to many.

Travel Advisory: Air Canada and Jazz provide the following update for flights from Canada to the United States

December 27, 2009 - As a result of the new security measures imposed by Canadian and U.S. government authorities, flights from Canada to the United States continue to experience significant delays and cancellations. Northbound flights from the U.S. to Canada are also being impacted due to late inbound aircraft. Customers can also expect potential delays on other domestic and international flights due to airport congestion and delayed aircraft.

Due to protracted waits for customer security clearance at Canadian airports, Air Canada and Jazz are being forced to cancel select short-haul flights to the U.S. beginning today. These cancellations will be implemented primarily on short-haul transborder routes with multiple daily flights between Toronto and the north-east U.S. Air Canada plans to consolidate affected flights and operate larger aircraft on these routes in order to minimize the impact on passengers. Air Canada is making all efforts to protect passengers affected by cancelled flights so they can travel as soon as possible. Due to high call volumes customers may find response times are longer than normal at call centres. Customers should check the status of their flight at http://www.aircanada.com.

Customers from Canada to the United States are limited to one personal carry-on item (such as a purse, computer bag, diaper bag or small backpack). All other baggage must be checked-in. In order to facilitate these new security measures, Air Canada is waiving excess baggage charges for checked baggage on a temporary basis for U.S.-bound customers travelling from Canada. Air Canada recommends passengers travelling to the U.S. from Canada arrive early at the airport for their flight in order to allow adequate time for additional personal searches.

"Air Canada staff are doing everything possible to ensure that flights operate as closely to their schedules as possible and we are reprotecting passengers affected by cancellations as quickly as we can, including by adding larger aircraft on key routes," said Duncan Dee, Air Canada's Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "Our number one priority is the safety and security of our customers and staff. Unfortunately, the delays are being caused by matters entirely outside our control. We appreciate the cooperation and understanding of our customers during this challenging time."

Air Canada recommends passengers travelling to the U.S. from Canada check the status of their flight before going to the airport and arrive early for their flight in order to allow adequate time for additional personal searches. Under new rules enacted by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, passengers and their carry-on baggage will be subject to full searches at airport screening points.

As usual it works, "the purpose of terrorism is to terrorise" Everyone is thrown into a panic.

According to BBC news this man's father (a big Nigerian banker) alerted the U.S. authorities a month ago via the U.S. embassy in Nigeria.

here in the U.K. the government for once denied his application for entry. So that is why he flew from Holland. And everyone knows they seem to let anyone in these days. Us Brits are as fed up of it as you. It causes a big security leak.

I thought if we would not let him fly here your stricter security rules would have not let him aboard in the 1st place.

We are off on Grand Princess next year and are not flying, but sailing from the U.K. instead.

Berwyn

But seriously, how does this help?

If you're a terrorist, buy a watch, and commence lighting your

underwear on fire 90 minutes before the end of the flight.

Seems like a pretty much knee-jerk reaction to a single case.

A better solution might be to figure out how the guy brought PETN

onboard the plane, and a way to prevent it.

I totally agree. These knee jerk reactions don't really do much except aggravate honest travellers. If I didn't live so far from FLL, I'd drive to my next cruise. LOL

I received extra scrutiny when traveling in China and in the US when returning from China. It was no big deal. That might do more to prevent things than limiting bathroom use and access to private possessions during the flight.

Sorry but I for one am glad they are reducing the number of carry ons allowed. All of these things people drag on board each flight slow things down for everyone. So much more time spent in security while the staff have to open up bags and confiscate items. One item per person is going to be a lot quicker than 2 per person! It will also give staff more time to really look at each item more carefully.

Sorry but I for one am glad they are reducing the number of carry ons allowed. All of these things people drag on board each flight slow things down for everyone. So much more time spent in security while the staff have to open up bags and confiscate items. One item per person is going to be a lot quicker than 2 per person! It will also give staff more time to really look at each item more carefully.

Hi Carol,

Here in the U.K. we've only been allowed 1 carry on bag per person since 2007.

Berwyn

Just to clarify - my belief is that there have been no changes to carry-on requirements for domestic US flights, right? I have checked the TSA and my airline's website, and I don't see any mention of any changes at all (understanding that in-flight practices such as using restroom prior to descent have been changed). We're flying next week, and I plan to still use my wheeled carry-on, as well as my backpack (in lieu of a purse).

It's a PITA, but I won't stop flying, or traveling. If we do, they win.

Just to clarify - my belief is that there have been no changes to carry-on requirements for domestic US flights, right? I have checked the TSA and my airline's website, and I don't see any mention of any changes at all (understanding that in-flight practices such as using restroom prior to descent have been changed). We're flying next week, and I plan to still use my wheeled carry-on, as well as my backpack (in lieu of a purse).

I don't know about the no domestic changes, NBC nightly news just had a audio snippet from a Jet Blue pilot today announcing onboard a flight that there was to be nothing on laps, no getting up for the last hour of the flight etc etc.

I dislike take offs and landings-if they don't let me potty when needed, there's gonna be a big mess!:eek:

Fully agree with you there Donna. If DW can't get there when she wants to, especially just before landing, that's 2 big messes they'd have to sort out :eek::D.

Luckily our next ( and 1st) Princess cruise is a no fly as for the 1st time we will be cruising from the U.K. to the Mediterranean.

Berwyn

I don't know about the no domestic changes, NBC nightly news just had a audio snippet from a Jet Blue pilot today announcing onboard a flight that there was to be nothing on laps, no getting up for the last hour of the flight etc etc.

Thanks, Keith. I guess I am most interested in determining whether I can still take my wheeled carry-on as planned (on a DEN-FLL flight), and I think I can, as of today.

Nothing on laps...I guess that's the end of blankets (if there are still any flights offering them). What's next, the tray table?

Archived