Extra Security Precautions and time due to foiled attack on 12/25/09

Sunviking

it's a shame, all this security-mess (a 3rd party-crasher to the President's dinner has been discovered!) - if one must fly, one is best advised to carry on as little as possible, pay to check bags, and leave plenty of time. I would like to know what, if any, medical risk a body will have from those full body scans? does anyone know?

What airport will you be flying out of from Canada? Many Canadian airports have TSAs on site. If this is the case your bags will be checked right to the final destination so you will probably not be able to access your totes in Seattle.

No Canadian airports have US TSA on site. For those airports with US pre-clearance (which doesn't include the OP's airport YLW) the USA DHS handles Immigration and Customs, but the security is still handled by CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority).

In the case of QX/Horizon air, and their DHC8-400 service, larger 'carryon' sized bags will need to be checked. In the past, they were gate checked "a la carte" (which meant putting them on a cart outside the plane just as you boarded, and picked up off the cart as you exit the aircraft). Now the USA's requirements for international flights, requires small luggage (carry on sized) to be checked luggage.

When your flight arrives at SEA from YLW, it will do so at the SOUTH concourse, and you will need to gather your bags, clear US Immigration/Customs, drop your bags for a re-checkin (can be done right there just after the customs), get re-screened, and re-enter the secure area of the airport for boarding your ongoing flight.

No Canadian airports have US TSA on site. For those airports with US pre-clearance (which doesn't include the OP's airport YLW) the USA DHS handles Immigration and Customs, but the security is still handled by CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority).

In the case of QX/Horizon air, and their DHC8-400 service, larger 'carryon' sized bags will need to be checked. In the past, they were gate checked "a la carte" (which meant putting them on a cart outside the plane just as you boarded, and picked up off the cart as you exit the aircraft). Now the USA's requirements for international flights, requires small luggage (carry on sized) to be checked luggage.

When your flight arrives at SEA from YLW, it will do so at the SOUTH concourse, and you will need to gather your bags, clear US Immigration/Customs, drop your bags for a re-checkin (can be done right there just after the customs), get re-screened, and re-enter the secure area of the airport for boarding your ongoing flight.

Whatever...all I know is when I fly to the US I don't have to through customs when I get there. I have no idea if the people who check passports, etc, are TSA, MNOPs or some other acronym.

I would like to know what' date=' if any, medical risk a body will have from those full body scans? does anyone know?[/quote']

No risk according to a radiologist I heard on the news today since the low level scans do not penetrate the skin but simply outline the body and show anything on the surface area.

Mike:)

Whatever...all I know is when I fly to the US I don't have to through customs when I get there. I have no idea if the people who check passports, etc, are TSA, MNOPs or some other acronym.
Which is why Scottbee posted the information he did....so that you WILL have an idea.

Or are random, unfounded generalizations the preferred coin of the realm. Not having facts didn't stop your prior inaccurate posting.

• 3 weeks later...
The way this will work from what I understand is that this new restriction was created under the threat level of "orange". The restriction will stay in place unless the threat level drops to "yellow" which has not happened since 9-11. Restrictions are not easily reversed once they are put into place. The liquids restriction was only supposed to be in place temporarily.

I think the U.S. will keep the carry on restriction for the forseeable future.

It took longer than I thought, but as I predicted the "zero" carry-on limit for Canadian Flight to the US has been lifted as of January 20th

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=78&pname=carryonbaggage_bagagedecabine&lang=en

Thank goodness some common sense finally intervened

No risk according to a radiologist I heard on the news today since the low level scans do not penetrate the skin but simply outline the body and show anything on the surface area.
As I understand it, the full-body scanners are basically millimetre-wave radar, rather than being X-rays or anything similar.

First off, I'm not buying into the silly underwear bomber story. Who was the "well dressed man" that walked the "bomber" past security checks without a passport and put him on the plane? Where is the security cam video of him? Why haven't we heard any more from the lawyer passenger from NY and his wife and others that witnessed this? Who was the man that video taped the incident on the flight and where is that video? A one way ticket paid in cash? A frantic tip from his father? Come on, lets start working on the criminals themselves and profiling known suspect groups and stop victimizing innocent travelers. But then this is all about gaining control over every one of us, isn't it? Little wonder so many machines were already on order.

Almost everybody, (90%) I talk to is vehemently opposed to an electronic strip search via these naked body scanners once they find out the truth about them.

The truth is they have the resolution and capability to count every freckle on your body. The machine needs a hard drive to operate which means the images are stored and if they are viewed remotely it means your body image is transmittable. Any facial blurring is something that is added after the scan and thus can be removed. If the images can be manipulated one can also zoom in on them. It is also a simple matter to add facial recognition and a name to the image.

The truth is there is no evidence that either the backscatter or millimeter wave (microwave) scanners are safe on a long term basis, simply because they have not been around long enough to know for sure. The backscatter machines emit "ionizing radiation" (think x-rays) look it up for yourself. The other emits low power microwave radiation.

If you don't mind having some DNA fractured or some free radical cellular damage you probably won't suffer major adverse health effects or die from the exposure as a casual air traveler. The security workers, on the other hand, will suffer long term health damage from prolonged exposure to these machines, some experts are predicting.

The thing for you to remember is, if we allow these things to be installed at airports, it's only a matter of time before they will be used everywhere. Court houses will install them, then Government buildings, then amusement parks, movie theaters and shopping malls. As the price and size comes down, as happens with all e-tech devises, they will one day be found everywhere. Police cars will scan and id people in the field, if you own a business where security is needed, you'll be able to subscribe to a service that can id your customers, everyone will be a suspect and instantly strip searched.

I will not submit to this outrage. I will stop flying commercial if need be. I will get active and protest these machines to anyone and everyone. Contrary to widely held beliefs, you can fight City Hall, and win.

If we don't stop this now, there is no end to what they will try next. From ridiculous liquids and nail clipper bans, next we will be wearing Tazer ID bracelets in order to fly. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/04/can-this-little/

Personal privacy, health and the principals of common law are at stake. We own ourselves, it's practically all we have left.

First off, I'm not buying into the silly underwear bomber story. Who was the "well dressed man" that walked the "bomber" past security checks without a passport and put him on the plane? Where is the security cam video of him? Why haven't we heard any more from the lawyer passenger from NY and his wife and others that witnessed this? Who was the man that video taped the incident on the flight and where is that video? A one way ticket paid in cash? A frantic tip from his father? Come on, lets start working on the criminals themselves and profiling known suspect groups and stop victimizing innocent travelers. But then this is all about gaining control over every one of us, isn't it? Little wonder so many machines were already on order.

Almost everybody, (90%) I talk to is vehemently opposed to an electronic strip search via these naked body scanners once they find out the truth about them.

The truth is they have the resolution and capability to count every freckle on your body. The machine needs a hard drive to operate which means the images are stored and if they are viewed remotely it means your body image is transmittable. Any facial blurring is something that is added after the scan and thus can be removed. If the images can be manipulated one can also zoom in on them. It is also a simple matter to add facial recognition and a name to the image.

The truth is there is no evidence that either the backscatter or millimeter wave (microwave) scanners are safe on a long term basis, simply because they have not been around long enough to know for sure. The backscatter machines emit "ionizing radiation" (think x-rays) look it up for yourself. The other emits low power microwave radiation.

If you don't mind having some DNA fractured or some free radical cellular damage you probably won't suffer major adverse health effects or die from the exposure as a casual air traveler. The security workers, on the other hand, will suffer long term health damage from prolonged exposure to these machines, some experts are predicting.

The thing for you to remember is, if we allow these things to be installed at airports, it's only a matter of time before they will be used everywhere. Court houses will install them, then Government buildings, then amusement parks, movie theaters and shopping malls. As the price and size comes down, as happens with all e-tech devises, they will one day be found everywhere. Police cars will scan and id people in the field, if you own a business where security is needed, you'll be able to subscribe to a service that can id your customers, everyone will be a suspect and instantly strip searched.

I will not submit to this outrage. I will stop flying commercial if need be. I will get active and protest these machines to anyone and everyone. Contrary to widely held beliefs, you can fight City Hall, and win.

If we don't stop this now, there is no end to what they will try next. From ridiculous liquids and nail clipper bans, next we will be wearing Tazer ID bracelets in order to fly. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/04/can-this-little/

Personal privacy, health and the principals of common law are at stake. We own ourselves, it's practically all we have left.

Wow.:eek: Guess you aren't going to be flying anywhere if you actually stand behind your words. You can be frisked, photographed, scanned and questioned... don't like it too bad. The days of just walking up to the aircraft and boarding by showing the stewardess a ticket are over forever.

If you don't want to go through the "body scanner" just submit to a body search/frisk. Your call.

"DNA fractured" "free radical cellular damage "....:D Where's the source for all your claims? :rolleyes:

OK, just wanted to report first hand my experience flying home (Tucson, AZ) yesterday from Europe (ok, no cruise ships from Zurich but still it’s in Europe). My route was ZRH-IAD-DEN-TUS. All events below were just the ZRH-IAD leg.

2 Passport checks before checking luggage.

Security questions when checking bags (I think 6 different ones)

Passport and boarding pass check through first stage security

The typical security x-ray scans of hand baggage, shoes, coats, etc.

Another passport and BP check at next security with more verbal “what the hell were you doing here” questions.

Another Passport/BP check at the entrance to the gate

All hand luggage opened and physically checked by security agents coming into the gate area

A physical pat down by security agent

A final Passport and BP check to clear gate area

Though it sounds like a lot when writing this, it all went very smoothly and I personally have no issues what so ever with the added security. Though some might think it’s worthless, I do really appreciate any and all the security does for making my flight safe.

John

Wait-I was thinking that if I did find that adorable ceramic lamp in Mexico next week, I might have to wear the lamp shade home. No good?

Only tinfoil protects the brain from radiation, stray gamma rays and alien thought probes. Everyone know that! :rolleyes::p

Archived