Why Guadeloupe?

MaggieAtSea

Hello... we sail on the Celebrity Summit in March and we're stumped as to why they sail to Guadeloupe... we hear minimal info about it and what we hear is mixed (at best). They position this island right before the one and only sea day on the itinerary... and from what we hear the ship is crowded with a lot of people who stay on board... right before they have to for the at sea day.

I KNOW the line is much smarter and wiser than us... and so is this board! We don't want to be ignorant, so help us... why Guadeloupe over so many other islands possible... what are we missing in our research? What have you done that shouldn't be missed?

Thanks for your counsel!

Guadeloupe is a big double-island, shaped vaguely like a butterfly

with the two islands quite different.

The Eastern island, Grande Terre is flat-ish limestone with good beaches on its South side

at Gosier and more so East of Gosier

and a decent road network to get around on.

The Western island Basse Terre is volcanic, tall, steep, rain forest, waterfalls..

but few if any decent (black sand)beaches that a tourist would consider

(especially when compared to white powder sand beaches over the Eastern half of the twin-island).

If you speak a little French and are not afraid to fool with it

-and maybe look like a fool- you'll probably get by quite nicely

but it's not yer standard English-speaking tourism-oriented "Caribbean" island as we like to think of them.

Guadeloupe is different like how Trinidad is.

Still Caribbean geographically,but...this would be one place where it may make sense

to do a ship-sponsored tour ashore, selected from their list of tours

-have everything laid out and organised, no do-it-yourself stuff

(although you might DIY, if you speak the language!)

I wouldn't go ashore just to poke around in Pointe-a-Pitre

-you'd probably return disappointed.

Do a ship's tour and make something of the visit.. anything! ;)

You didn't come all this way to stay on the ship, did you?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm on the sailing with you. I'm actually glad we are going to Guadeloupe. I have already been to St Lucia but have never been to Guadeloupe. Cheer up! Some of the ports that I have been warned to "just stay on the ship" have turned out to be some of the best. I love the unspoiled islands that aren't overdeveloped. It may be harder to find activities but I'm sure there are some. Go to sites like tripadvisor, frommers and fodors. You will find something to your liking.

Hey Maggie - thanks for asking this question, since I am sailing with you on the Summit. I have been looking and the island does have some nice places. My DH is very excited about diving there, so I may do a ship tour, I am too chicken to do anything independant without him. But some of what they offer seems to go to some of the good beaches, or the rainforest or some other places that have gotten good reviews on tour books.

It's true, Margaret. Since posting my question Celebrity has posted its tour options for this island... and was glad to see a pleasing range. As I don't know when, if ever, we'll be back to this island, and the fact that Cousteau's preserve is located here, I thought it a good thing to take in.

See you on board!!:)

Maggie

• 1 year later...

Guadeloupe has been added to RCCL southern Caribbean itineraries as well. I believe it was done as a convenience for European travelers. US passengers board and debark the cruise in San Juan, however European passengers are more likely to board and debark in Guadeloupe. This French island uses Euros and I suspect customs might be easier for Europeans using this on/off port.

I wish they had not added it on BOTH itineraries of the smaller southern Caribbean ship (formerly Serenade, soon-to-be Brilliance). A lot of RCL loyals like to do back-to-back cruises with the alternating itineraries because the southern Caribbean is so port-intensive. Who will want to visit Guadeloupe twice??

I understand it's a lovely island and I really think I would enjoy it if it were better established as a cruise port. It's very difficult to find excursions there, everything is tremendously expensive (I'm sure the exchange rate has much to do with it) and I read that it's very difficult to navigate if you don't speak French. I'm ashamed to admit that I am a typical American tourist who speaks no other languages! This doesn't sound like a port I can really do on my own and the ship excursions (I think there may be only FIVE offerings) are not all that great.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am struggling with this port. There is limited tours off the ship, and what tours are out there for a DIY are crazy expensive. We have a little over a year, so we are hoping that some of the first timers will come back with some ideas that we can take. We have come to the conclusion that we are just going to have to suck it up and by the prices being asked, which is fine, but we are struggling with finding something that we all would want to do. :(

Archived