CD...am I missing something?

parafire

I could not tell you the name of any of the CD's that I have encountered on any of my 10+ cruise vacations on four different cruise lines. But apparently some of the CD's have a loyal following. Am I missing something?

No yu are not missing a thing. Funny thing I can only remember the few that stuck out in a negative fashion for us

1) Wee Jimmy - Give me a break

2) Jen something - Her voice was like listening to nails dragged along a chaukboard.

3) Butch B. - The lying idiot who ran from the mob on the Glory a year ago when he said carnival won't help you make alternative travel plans after being delayed into port for 8 hours. Did not see or hear from that weasel for the last 8 hours of that cruise.

4) Lenny H. - Well he stays lubed up is all I can say. Does his nose ever go o a lighter tone of bright red?

To each his own I guess

If you're just into spending time with the people you cruised with, having some dinner and quiet moments, then no, you're not missing anything.

If you like the shows, parties, and night clubs, then the CD really comes into play. Matt Baker was the CD on the NCL SKY. He was a riot, played killer blues on his harmonica, was the life of every party, and was every where at once. He was a great CD.

I could not tell you the name of any of the CD's that I have encountered on any of my 10+ cruise vacations on four different cruise lines. But apparently some of the CD's have a loyal following. Am I missing something?

I agree with you, with one exception who I will not mention by name because the person, IMO, is worse the horrible, and needs to be put ashore.

I remember John Heald on being CD on one of my cruises, and Wee Jimmy. Also remember Butch from my recent Liberty cruise. I have sailed on Carnival 4 times. I have obviously forgotten one. Other than Butch, who was on the most recent cruise, I couldnt tell you which ship John Heald, or Wee Jimmy was on. So, I guess you remember some, and forget others, then you start to forget which ship who was on.......:eek:

I am terrible at names so don't remember any of them.

They don't make or break my cruise.

I remember one but of course don't remember his name but I saw him walking and he says to the person he was walking with "Hide me here comes so and so" and this couple see's him and says "We have been looking all over for you." So see the cd's don't have a ball all the time on cruises either, they would like to forget certain people, but they have to be nice,:D

We don't think a CD makes or breaks a cruise, but they can definately add to your experience. For example, we thought Shawn Bussey on the Glory was fabulous. She was informative, friendly, funny and extreme;y out going. Noonan sat with us in the Piano bar on the Destiny and bought us a bucket of beers. Stuart Dunn walked around the Triumph and offered guests some Vegemite. Todd Wimer walked with us during the On The Deck for the Cure walk and was constantly walking around the Freedom talking with guests. These four, we had Noonan on two cruises, made five of our Carnival cruises a little more enjoyable. Our CD on RCCL was very good as well. On the other hand, the CD on NCL and the other 3 Carnival CD's didn't seem as friendly and/or approachable. We still had a good time and would not stay away from a cruise because one of them was the CD. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Malcolm Burn and some negatives too. We will see in 9 days. At any rate, we are going to have a great time.:D

I can tell you every port stop, every vacation spot and what I did on those days....going back to 1974!! For me it is, it was, and always will be about the places I am visiting!!! A great ship is nice...but I would row a boat to each port if it was the only way to get there!!!:D

Here, here. The ports are important, but so is the time on the ship. Our upcoming cruise we have four sea days and the evenings of the port days are onboard. That accounts for most of the time on our vacation. A good CD will make this time a little more enjoyable and a bad CD could make it very unpleasant. We love the ports too, next time you are rowing to a port could you stop by New Smyrna Beach and pick us.;):D

Ryan Fitzgerald and Malcolm Burn were good....

but John Heald was the BEST!

Yes I will admit, he was the best, but I think he is unique, and a jewel in Carnival's crown. I did like Wee Jimmy a lot, and I have to say that I did like Butch ( my most recent cruise in October ) on the Liberty. I am also of the crowd, who are not really affected by the CD, but it is a plus if you like them.:)

• 1 month later...

I only remember 2:

Steve Cassell (reminded me of Bob Saget) and I only really remember him because I kept running into him on the stairwell going up to the back deck where usually no one was at.

And Ryan on the Glory last summer. This was the first time we actually got involved in any of the activities, we went to all of the dance lessons, the deck parties, and even his "meet the CD talk." The entire staff was very nice and everywhere. My daughter (14) knew everyone's name, and she had a great time and still talks about them sometimes in cruise memories. Plus I think it helped that 4 of the guys were really cute, haha. I can't remember the guy who taught us the towel animal folding, but he was her favorite, and she even bought a fun-ship freddy t-shirt because he wore one on the "red" deck party night. Fun memories! I would definitly like to see Ryan again, I believe he was going home for his "vacation" after our cruise ported.

In all my cruises, I've never found the time to worry about who the CD might be.

I might have agreed with those that feel a C.D. makes little or no difference, until our most recent cruise. John Heald was our C.D on the Dream, and his personal attention to detail, sense of humor, and personal involvement with the guests was truly something to behold. I know that our cruise was enhanced through his efforts. In my opinion, he sets the standard by which all other C.D.'s should be measured. A consummate professional.

I think this is one of the things that makes cruising so great. Some people dont care about CD's...others love them. Some cruise for the ports...others never leave the ship.

The very thing some cruise for is the exact thing others truly dislike.

You're not missing anything as far as we are concerned. We never have known our CD's name, nor cared. We don't do the "organized" activities, when we are on vacation we want to enjoy ourselves and not be scheduled for this or that, we are perfectly capable of amusing ourselves and finding things to do without help.

Different strokes I guess, doesn't make one bad or good, just different.

For those that like the structured activities I can see how this would be important.

My biggest care on a ship is that the captain drives well and gets us everywhere safely.

Cheers, Carole

I still don't really get it why some seem to be so hung up

on knowing everyone by name, CD, MD, Cabin Steward, etc

but..

I remember Risa Barnes and Jorge.

One impressive and one not so.

I won't say which was which, but if you know

either..then you can probably figure it out.

I guess the only reason, I remember the names

were because we did attend some shows, past guest party

and see and hear them on the TV.

Captain and MD..who cares..well, some do..I don't.

Servers and Stewards..doesn't matter to me. They seem to know

and remember your name, so I guess it is ok to know their name.

Waitresses Petra and Judit

Petra was very friendly and outgoing, extremely hard working and did her best

to make sure you were taken care of.

Judit and my wife hit it off really well. My wife was the first Hungarian

woman Judit had gotten to talk to since she started with Carnival. I think

it was good for her to get to talk to a woman that she had something in

common with. She was fairly new and really seemed to have needed

something like that.

I feel the same as the original poster.

I've been on two CCL cruises and do not remember the directors names.

Why?

Well, after two days, they tend to get on my nerves. I get sick of seeing them 24/7 on tv, on the decks, before the shows, and hearing their voices over the speaker system.

I'm just one of those people.

:D

I do remember one cabin steward, his name was Weerat. I mean, how can you forget a name like WeeRat?

Archived