If Flight delayed because of weather

bob c

I am going to FT. Lauderdale Saturday Jan.2 to go on a cruise on the Westerdam Jan.3rd and I am leaving from Boston. Right now they are calling for a snowstorm Saturday and Sunday. The first port of call is Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. My question is, if the flights are cancelled both days what place in the Bahamas could I fly to and meet the ship in Half Moon Cay? Sorry if this sounds easy to some, but I have never had the experience where I missed the ship and just want to be prepared in case this happens. Thank you.:)

I am going to FT. Lauderdale Saturday Jan.2 to go on a cruise on the Westerdam Jan.3rd and I am leaving from Boston. Right now they are calling for a snowstorm Saturday and Sunday. The first port of call is Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. My question is, if the flights are cancelled both days what place in the Bahamas could I fly to and meet the ship in Half Moon Cay? Sorry if this sounds easy to some, but I have never had the experince where I missed the ship and just want to be prepared in case this happens. Thank you.:)

I do not believe there is any opportunity to fly to the Bahamas to get to Half Moon ... you would need to plan on flying to the port after that one. I recall seeing something from HAL (sorry, don't remember if it's on the website on in my printed cruise docs) that flying to Half Moon is not an option at all.

You really can't. There are no commercial flights to Half Moon Cay. We have seen medical evacuation done there but there is no airport.

You would have to request permission to join the ship at the next port. Be certain to check with Seattle before you attempt to board somewhere other than FLL. It probably is okay but is not an 'automatic'. You'd hate to chase the ship and be denied boarding.

I just heard Boston's weather forecast and it doesn't sound that bad. Vermont, NH and Maine may be hit really bad but doesn't sound like Boston will be. Good luck.

I am going to FT. Lauderdale Saturday Jan.2 to go on a cruise on the Westerdam Jan.3rd and I am leaving from Boston. Right now they are calling for a snowstorm Saturday and Sunday. The first port of call is Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. My question is, if the flights are cancelled both days what place in the Bahamas could I fly to and meet the ship in Half Moon Cay? Sorry if this sounds easy to some, but I have never had the experience where I missed the ship and just want to be prepared in case this happens. Thank you.:)

Hey, Bob! We are on the same cruise! There is a great roll-call thread going on, you should join us!

Thanks Robocool, I have never been on a roll call thread but am going to do so now>:)

We have a great group, and are getting together for drinks Saturday evening before the cruise, and doing a "wine crawl" during the cruise. The link to the thread is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=963060&page=27.

See you soon! :D

I would pack my bags now and try to fly on Friday, January 1st just to be on the safe side. If a legitimate storm is forecast, many airlines waive their fees to change flights.

Sometimes one day is not enough. We lost three on the Christmas trip last week. They were flying out of DC and got caught up in that mess. Our first port of call was Grand Turk after a day at sea. One of the three caught up to us there. The one troubling thing about it was that he got a flight in at the last minute to FLL. 9 other HAL passengers were on the flight. HAL accomidated 5 of them as they had booked thru HAL, and not thru a travel agency. Our 1 and 3 others were not helped even though HAL told them they would. So depending on who you booked with will have a big determination on whether HAL will help you. All of us planned on being intown the day before. Sometimes mother nature takes a hand.

I would pack my bags now and try to fly on Friday, January 1st just to be on the safe side. If a legitimate storm is forecast, many airlines waive their fees to change flights.

I think this is the best option.

Winter travel is problematic. We booked a Panama Canal cruise out of New Orleans from NYC about 20 years ago. Even with a three day pre-cruise stay in the Big Easy built-in to the itinerary, we still missed the ship. Weather threw NYC airports off balance for four days. :eek:

If you can try to leave Jan 1. I think that is good advice.

Good luck and smooth sailing...

Check with your airline and see if they are offering to change for free to get out early. Sometimes when a storm is predicted like we had 2 weeks ago here some of the airlines let them go earlier with no change fees. And New Years day would probably not be very crowded so it would be a good day to fly.

Nassau is not as close to Half Moon Cay as some think. It could be a lot easier said than done to get a boat from there to Half Moon Cay. Don't count on it.

I second that. They're not the same island and I have no idea what the available transportation between them might be.

and take a boat to Half Moon Cay. I believe that is how the workers not coming from the ships on the island get to work. There are no residents on the island itself.

Workers live in Cat Island mostly and sail in when there are ships on Half Moon Cay.

Sometimes one day is not enough. We lost three on the Christmas trip last week. They were flying out of DC and got caught up in that mess. Our first port of call was Grand Turk after a day at sea. One of the three caught up to us there. The one troubling thing about it was that he got a flight in at the last minute to FLL. 9 other HAL passengers were on the flight. HAL accomidated 5 of them as they had booked thru HAL, and not thru a travel agency. Our 1 and 3 others were not helped even though HAL told them they would. So depending on who you booked with will have a big determination on whether HAL will help you. All of us planned on being intown the day before. Sometimes mother nature takes a hand.

They booked flights through HAL, or they had travel insurance through HAL, or both?

We are also on the Westerdam on Sunday and we are flying out of Newark on Saturday morning. I panicked for a little while but now I am sure we will make it by Sunday. Half Moon Cay is over 100 miles south of Nassau. Don't worry you will make it to Fort Lauderdale before we sail. Come join us on the roll calls.

Archived