de Palm Island=Good for experienced snorkelers??

maclady

Hi, We are experienced snorkelers, and have taken several boat excursions that take you to the Antilla,which is interesting,then stop at a pretty nothing snorkel site, and spend a lot of time letting people swing on a rope from the ship. We want to try something different. What does de Palm Island offer. Some of our fellow cruisers seemed to enjoy itAny other suggestions?We have done both the Jolly Pirates and Mi Dushi trips and enjoyed them-but we want an alternative way to get in some good snorkeling. Karen:)

We were Aruba in November and are going back in January. We did Boca Catalina and will be doing it again. I had looked into Palm Island, but it seems like it is mainly parrot fish.

We took at cab to Boca Catalina ($22 one way) and then the city bus back. This time we will likely take the bus both ways this time as it was very easy and convenient. We snorkel at every port we stop at, so I consider myself some what experienced, and Boca Catalina was a great day.

The beach itself was just sand and some palapas (spelling?) to give some shade. There were no facilities or chairs to rent etc. There were some locals and some people from our ship, and the party/beach bus stopped there for a while, but most of the day it was very calm and not many people.

We put our towels down in the shade and snorkeled all day. Once you are there, when you are facing the water, out a little and to the right is very good snorkeling. We saw an octopus, an eel, lots of types of coral and a very large variety of fish. It took us 3 times out to find the best spot though, then we just hung around in that area (it was more reef and less just rocks).

But, that being said, a lot of the snorkel boats were dropping people off their all day, so I'm not sure if this may be were you stopped on your last trip you mentioned.

We were Aruba in November and are going back in January. We did Boca Catalina and will be doing it again. I had looked into Palm Island, but it seems like it is mainly parrot fish.

We took at cab to Boca Catalina ($22 one way) and then the city bus back. This time we will likely take the bus both ways this time as it was very easy and convenient. We snorkel at every port we stop at, so I consider myself some what experienced, and Boca Catalina was a great day.

The beach itself was just sand and some palapas (spelling?) to give some shade. There were no facilities or chairs to rent etc. There were some locals and some people from our ship, and the party/beach bus stopped there for a while, but most of the day it was very calm and not many people.

We put our towels down in the shade and snorkeled all day. Once you are there, when you are facing the water, out a little and to the right is very good snorkeling. We saw an octopus, an eel, lots of types of coral and a very large variety of fish. It took us 3 times out to find the best spot though, then we just hung around in that area (it was more reef and less just rocks).

But, that being said, a lot of the snorkel boats were dropping people off their all day, so I'm not sure if this may be were you stopped on your last trip you mentioned.

Hi-- As I read posts on the bus service, you take a #10 from the bus station. Going seems straight forward, how about coming back? Did you catch the bus right at Boca Catalina or have to walk someplace else? We will be there on a Sunday and sounds like bus service is once an hour?

Hi-- As I read posts on the bus service, you take a #10 from the bus station. Going seems straight forward, how about coming back? Did you catch the bus right at Boca Catalina or have to walk someplace else? We will be there on a Sunday and sounds like bus service is once an hour?

Since we planned on cabbing it both ways originally in November, I had not really looked into the bus schedule. When we were almost ready to go, we were sitting on the beach planning our way back when we saw the bus head past the beach going up to Arashi (my understanding is up by Arashi is the end of the line and then it comes back down). We got our stuff together and got up to the road, right by the Boca Catalina sign. There were some other people waiting as well. The bus stopped and we got on and paid. It was super easy, and nice to just lie on the beach and watch for it to go by heading to Arashi.

Since we planned on cabbing it both ways originally in November, I had not really looked into the bus schedule. When we were almost ready to go, we were sitting on the beach planning our way back when we saw the bus head past the beach going up to Arashi (my understanding is up by Arashi is the end of the line and then it comes back down). We got our stuff together and got up to the road, right by the Boca Catalina sign. There were some other people waiting as well. The bus stopped and we got on and paid. It was super easy, and nice to just lie on the beach and watch for it to go by heading to Arashi.

Thanks for the info. I think that is what we will do. It sounds like the snorkeling was good. How close was the bus station from where you docked?

Thanks for the info. I think that is what we will do. It sounds like the snorkeling was good. How close was the bus station from where you docked?

Archived