London W2 - Gatwick transfer

After our June Baltic cruise on the [I]Jewel[/I], we're staying a few days at the Hilton Metropole in London and need to arrange transfer from the hotel to Gatwick. This board has been helpful, but any additional advice would be appreciated. There appear to be auto/limo services that range from about 57 to 100+ pounds as well as a less expensive service that seems to involve a rail transfer (and sounds inconvenient with lots of luggage). Has anyone advice about any services to prefer or avoid?
Thanks,
UNCle Don

I don't think that the train will involve much more difficulty with luggage than the coach.

First, the coach will take much longer; it's typically timetabled at 80 minutes against the Gatwick Express' 30 minutes.

At Victoria, the Gatwick Express platforms are essentially at street level. At Gatwick there are lifts to get you up from the platform to the main terminal level of the South Terminal, and if you have to transfer to the North Terminal there are lifts to get you up to the departures/check in level. The coach may avoid the level change when dropping off at the North Terminal, but I'm pretty sure that at the South Terminal you have to use a lift to get up to the main terminal level as well.

The only real benefit of the coach is that the coach driver will help you put the luggage into the luggage compartment of the bus and get it out again.

Unless you are really on a budget, I would have said it should be a straight choice between the train and a car/taxi service.

hi UNCle Don

We had researched “transfer services” as they’re called on the Internet, got several quotes (some must have thought we wanted to buy the vehicle not just be driven from point A to point B) and made arrangements with Lloyd Martin, who runs a transfer service from Dover. As a matter of fact, we found out during the drive that he and his wife run a B&B in Dover. Unfortunately, Lloyd Martin ceased the transfer operation at the end of 2002. He now recommends Tours of the Realm at [url="http://www.toursoftherealm.com"]www.toursoftherealm.com[/url]

I have corresponded with Denise, the proprietor; here's her contact info:

Denise Ryeland, Proprietor, Tours of the Realm
Hammond House, Limekiln Street
Dover, Kent, CT17 9EE, England
Tel: 01304 248 304; Fax: 01304 240 374

And info about the service:
1-4 passengers £125.00 ; 1-6 passengers £140.00

This rate includes:-
personal meet and greet service at the airport
Parking at the airport
Transfer in fully air-conditioned, non-smoking, comfort to your destination at Dover/Heathrow for a maximum of 6 passengers
All soft drinks in the vehicle
Use of the luggage trailer
Transfer time is approximately 2 hrs each way.

They also offer a touring service. £165.00 for 1-4 passengers or £180.00 for 1-6 passengers, to include all the items listed above in the straight transfer rate, plus countryside sightseeing en route with opportunities to stop to shop, browse and take photos along the way. Lunch not included in the price. Transfer time with the tour - 5 hours in total. A full day tour cost is £295.00 for a full 10 hour day.

Bev

Many thanks to all for the help. I've checked a number of internet sites, but found a couple of new ones from the responses and the personal experiences add a lot. And, Bev, I'd already read your account and found it helpful, but thanks yet again. What a great bunch!
Cheers/Bon Voyage,
UNCle Don

The new ones I had in mind, nny928..., were from the references in the thread above. If you haven't seen the listings at [url="http://www.airporttransfers.biz"]www.airporttransfers.biz[/url], however, you might want to check there. There were a number of others from a Google search on "airport transfer" AND "London".
Happy hunting,
UNCle Don

Be careful of Gatwick scam. I got caught by it. Took a black cab from Savoy Hotel downtown London to Victoria Station to catch Gatwick Express. En route the dispatcher comes on with urgent message...all trains from Victoria are down. Gatwick Express delayed 2 hours at least. Smelled a rat...but wife too nervous we'd miss plane. Taxi driver drove us to Gatwick for 80 pounds. Found out at Gatwick from Gatwick Express info booth that there were no problems whatsoever with trains that morning. Thinking of reporting driver to Public Carriage office. But we liked him so much...that I'd hate to see his job threatened. On the other hand, he ripped us off with a straight face and a lot of good taxi stories. Just a warning to others.

Note that the Gatwick Express is not the only service from London Victoria Station to Gatwick Airport. Most regular South Coast trains stop at Gatwick Airport and only take 10 minutes or so longer than the Gatwick Express,they are also less expensive.

Mike

We are using [email]carservice2000@aol.com[/email] from London to Gatwick in June. They are charging 50GBP for 2 of us with 2 large suitcases & 2 carry-ons.
Joan [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

• 1 year later...
Bev,
I guess I owe you a Big Thanks. We hired Tours of the Realm for a 10 day private tour, and what a tour it was. Last year I happened upon your post about transfers from Gatwick to Harwich and Dover. I had contacted Denise about a pickup then but had to cancel before we were able to go. This year we decided to make our trip across the pond and spend 2 weeks in the UK. Denise was our guide. She is the Best. My two sons absolutely loved her and we are talking a 15 and 16 year old. Ten days on tour is a long time to be with someone if you don't mesh. This was by far our best vacation experience ever. Thank you so much for the information. We are looking forward to having another go next year!!

Archived