tips for butler and concierge

retired rascal

Just off the MR cruise on the Star yesterday. We were in a beautiful Pent House Aft suite. The Con., Belkys and Butler, Flor were wonderful, all our requests were honored with a smile. We tipped the Con. $50 for our one week cruse and the Butler $70. They were both happy with their tip. We enjoyed the service provided and did not have any unique or special requests. We gave it to them on the 6th day of the cruise. We utilized both for routine requests. According to prior posts it is customery to tip: Con. $5-10 per suite per day and Butler $5-10 per GUEST per day. Adjust as you like according to requests and use of services. Enjoy the Suite Life.

Just off the MR cruise on the Star yesterday. We were in a beautiful Pent House Aft suite. The Con., Belkys and Butler, Flor were wonderful, all our requests were honored with a smile. We tipped the Con. $50 for our one week cruse and the Butler $70. They were both happy with their tip. We enjoyed the service provided and did not have any unique or special requests. We gave it to them on the 6th day of the cruise. We utilized both for routine requests. According to prior posts it is customery to tip: Con. $5-10 per suite per day and Butler $5-10 per GUEST per day. Adjust as you like according to requests and use of services. Enjoy the Suite Life.

Remember: The butler and concierge are not in the tips pool that other crew members share in.

When people complain about tips and auto-tips I think about what these folks make.

The butler's monthly salary (even with room and board) is surprisingly small, yet is 3 to 4 times what a bus-person makes. "Room" means 4 to a room with one toilet and shower and a tiny cubbyhole for possessions--kinda like being at summer camp. They work 7 days a week for 6-10 months at a time, 12 hours a day.

So think kindly about tips!

What is current appropriate tip for a butler and the concierge in penthouse on 15 days cruise??? Thank you. I think we've gotten out of date and may need to recalibrate our thinking.

Just tip what YOU think is appropriate based on your use, there is no magic formula. At the end of a cruise my wife and just put our heads together and come up with a amount..We never board with any preconceived notions of how much to tip.

You should tip in accordance with the services provided. Passengers who rarely use the services of the butler should not be expected to tip as much as those who are served breakfast or other meals daily in their cabins. The same holds true for the Concierge.

On our last 7 day cruise, I tipped our butler $80. Although I don't believe I actually even spoke to him, and we didn't do any in-cabin dining or utilize him that much, he kept my wife happy by bringing her DVDs each day and taking care of whatever minor requests she had. Additionally he brought us an afternoon snack each day. He seemed quite happy with the tip.

I tipped our concierge half that and again, she seemed pleased. I don't recall her doing anything more than us providing priority tender tickets, priority viewing of the chocolate buffet, and priority disembarkation, but she was always there had we needed her for anything.

We're pretty low maintenance and didn't take up much of their time. However, they were always available and always had a smile on their face. Had we really utilized them, I would have upped the tips appropriately.

Tipping can be tough. I try to look objectively at how much time they actually spend taking care of us, and go from there.

We tip acording to the service, our last cruise on the Spirit we tipped our Cabin Stewart mor the the butler or concierge, they were both useless, when I asked for somethin it never came, and if I did get it it came with attitude.. Service ont the Spirit was terrible that covers the entire ship...:mad:

Archived