Question about the Star

retired rascal

After having our cabin (an AE) flooded about 11:00pm on our Panama Canal cruise departing 11-23 from San Pedro on our fifth night due to a broken pipe above us and a few other things I noticed I do feel that the Star probably should have done the drydock that was scheduled for Oct-Nov 2009 and now delayed until I am not sure when. BUT our cruise was still great and the Star is a great Ship, even though we got notice of an engine problem prior to our cruise which caused a very very little change in arrival and departures times in some ports. Hoping the carpet finally dried out for all of you that were in our AE on cruises after ours!

For anyone that is interested if this happens to you, we did get relocated for the night in an inside cabin and the next day was spent with 3 big fans blowing in our cabin (dust and whatever blowing around) they finally turned them off around 3pm, and started cleaning up; but we needed to keep towels on the carpeting in certain areas unless you wanted wet red feet. The Star is not shabby IMO but do think some refurbishing would not hurt and also a good look at the water lines!!

She is not in the shape she was a year ago,- at all. Carpets are worn and many chairs broken in the Stardust Theatre. The one and two day cruises must be hard on the ship. A little TLC would not hurt. We were on the Panama (LA – Miami) cruise and had a great time however with one engine down and no hot tubs the entire cruise she does needs the time in dock (Vancouver Olympics) for a little work. There happens to be 23 miles or so of plumbing to be replaced in the next two years on the passenger decks.

I would hardly call her raggedy- I did notice a bit of wear about the edges of the sofa but surprised how nice the finishes were in the cabin on the shelves, doorknobs, etc- places you'd expect to see wear.

They were doing some exterior touch ups at every port. They drained and cleaned the pool at least once while we were onboard last month. I did notice some damaged chairs in the stardust (seemed like a heavy person bent the seat forward a bit).

I had heard some concerns of her conditions and was honestly impressed with the clean/upkept condition. Could she use a makeover? I think so. Some of the decor felt a bit dated, but that could have been my limited experience with cruising on a much newer ship the year prior.

We found her beautiful on our 12/6 PC cruise. I did notice some "over extended" theater seats, although a number were repaired as the cruise progressed. Also, they were in the middle of changing out the sofas in the Spinnaker lounge and completed that job with brand new blue ones, plus a bunch of new carpet in Spinnaker on the first few days of our cruise. In our BA balcony stateroom the only signs of wear I noticed were that the sofa looked a bit tired and one of the three drawers had a terrible squeaking problem every time you opened or closed it.

Archived