Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

Please clarify. The last several flights I've taken the TSA prohibits any liquids of less than...what...2 oz in a small plastic bag. Am I missing something?

The poster was referring to dock/port procedures and not flying nor transporting through the airport.

Celebrity stuck a green tag similar to embarkation luggage tags onto my carry on after the scanner at the port. Just ripped it off immediately after walking away. Took some effort. Might want to have a pair of clippers handy.

When we were on Carnival Victory in February, we were one of the first ones to board. We looked back and noticed they were setting up a confiscation table just past the scanners - not a lot of time to get tag off/put it into a larger bag.

We sailed on 2/21-2/28 and had no problems getting on liquor. We had a bottle of Vodka and Rum in our checked bags, and carried on 2 bottles of wine. We also had 3 - 6packs of coke in the same carry on. When we went through the scanner and security we thought somebody would at least open the bag to look at the wine but nobody ever did. The liquor table which was up by the ship our day had nothing on it around 1pm. Not sure of they just were not looking that day, or if it was because our booze and wine were all in plastic bottles.

We were worried for nothing!!

We were on the victory 2/14 and I did the orange tie wrap with clippers to cut after main security. I bought one bottle of mango rum at the duty free. We passed about 4 security persons just zig zagging up the see thru gang way. They had radios and knew who had the liquor. I cut the tie at the first opportune time but was still pulled from the line entering the ship. I ultimately felt this was Carnival's way of cracking down on booze smuggling to increase their revenues and not safety security related. I would say it's hit or miss taking this route and it was miss for us. Carnival recently announced rate increases due to demand but cracking down at this level will steer away repeat customers to all inclusive vacations. Maybe they feel it's time to remove the party image or some over indulgence. BTW, we still had a good time but did not buy but two drinks the entire week;)

Sounds like Carnival is getting smart to all the tricks - using radios to communicate.....hmmmm. That's very interesting. When we cruised first of February, the store at port said go put in a bag you can check if you have one, take back downstairs to check bag and hand to one of the guys with a tip - worked! Wonder how long that's going to work. I had some in my bags in rum runners and those went through same as they do in all the ports - so far.

:confused: We are sailing on the Liberty of the Sea out of Miami. Can I purchase

alcohol at the ship terminal tax free? I will be checking my purchase

with the ship's security until we get back to Miami.

Thanks for your help.

:confused: We are sailing on the Liberty of the Sea out of Miami. Can I purchase

alcohol at the ship terminal tax free? I will be checking my purchase

with the ship's security until we get back to Miami.

Thanks for your help.

They will sell it duty free on the ship for you to take off with you.

When we were on Carnival Victory in February, we were one of the first ones to board. We looked back and noticed they were setting up a confiscation table just past the scanners - not a lot of time to get tag off/put it into a larger bag.

Sounds like a good cruiseline to first go onboard to check out the situation, then get off again with a bag and hit the duty free store if the conditions are right.

That's a good idea. I saw someone posted - not sure if this thread or not - that even if you pulled the tags off, the security had walkie talkies and knew exactly who had booze in the bags. Someone pulled tag off and they still pulled him aside before he got on board. Apparently someone at the baggage check was radioing ahead with a description of him! Just use rum runners, put in your checked bags. Also note that during spring break period, younger people boarding, they are more strict on checking bags as well.

Sailed on the 2/21 victory cruise. They were tagging and collecting, but I'm not sure how strict they were being. I had two bottles of wine in my carry-on that I thought for sure I'd get tagged for, but I got right through security with no problem. I know I was allowed to have that wine, but I thought they'd at least tag me to check it out, since I doubt the security scanners can differentiate between wine and other types of liquor.

The people that were getting tagged mostly had bags of stuff they bought at the liquor shop

At check-in for celebrity summit in san juan (Pan Am pier) they hand out a little postcard saying "any liquor purchased at the duty free store in the terminal will not be allowed on the ship, will not be returned to you after the sailing, and will be destroyed."

This probably applies to RCI sailings from the same port too.

At check-in for celebrity summit in san juan (Pan Am pier) they hand out a little postcard saying "any liquor purchased at the duty free store in the terminal will not be allowed on the ship, will not be returned to you after the sailing, and will be destroyed."

This probably applies to RCI sailings from the same port too.

Ouch!

They should close the store then.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... I understand that it's much more difficult to get liquor on board in carry ons and that pouring liquor into Rum Runners and placing it in checked luggage usually solves that situation. I also understand that the cost of liquor at the pier is much lower than buying from a store in Old San Juan.

Is there ANY way to buy at the pier and get it into checked luggage.

We're coming in the day before sailing and can make our purchase than if needed.

Finally, where is the best place to make liquor and soft drink purchases in OSJ, near the Sheraton?

Thanks!

We were on Caribbean Princess from March 21-28. After checking in, we went to the liquor store right across from the counter and got a bottle of champagne and a bottle of white. We then put them in our carry-ons and went through the security with no problem. Think it's pretty well known that Princess let you carry one bottle per person.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there ANY way to buy at the pier and get it into checked luggage.

We're coming in the day before sailing and can make our purchase than if needed.

Finally, where is the best place to make liquor and soft drink purchases in OSJ, near the Sheraton?

Thanks!

You could keep a smaller bag with you. Hit the duty free store and then go outside with your last bag and drop it off with the porters.

As for pop, there is a brand new large CVS store one block down the street. I don't recall if they had liquor. I bought some redbull and diet pepsi there. There's also a Supermax grocery store up by Plaza De Armas.

Edited by Clubber