cruise critic article by American crew member

smeyer418

me too even on Cunard...but sometimes the server is out the door before I can hand it to them. It just makes me feel uncomfortable not giving a buck or two to someone who is bringing something to my room. I know I shouldn't but that is the way I was brought up... I know some of you will say I am ruining it for the non-tippers by doing that...well that's the way I am.

And I can't quite understand non tippers: I guess, you are right it depends on how we are raised. I too feel bad when the guy brings me coffee and juice and we can't catch him before he is out the doory..

Nita

And I can't quite understand non tippers: I guess, you are right it depends on how we are raised. I too feel bad when the guy brings me coffee and juice and we can't catch him before he is out the doory..

Nita

I think that tells us that most people don't tip for room service.:eek:

I would like to live in a world where everyone got adequately paid and tried hard to please their customers without the customer holding out the carrot of a potential tip, but I don't live in that world.

I have read the book, and found it very interesting, but to a large extent the information is not applicable to NCL because of the "free Style"model that they employ. That is why there is the mandatory service charge.

How does the "freestyle model" and mandatory gratuties seperate NCL's working conditions from the other cruise lines? I'm sure the crew on NCL work the same 15 hour days with no days off and have similar working conditions. If you read the book alot of the information would be applicable if Brian had worked on an NCL ship as opposed to Canival. He still would have to deal with roommates, politics, language barriers, lack of sleep, need I go on ?

No matter what line a crew member works on, he/she is still going to work endless hours. Only differance with the mandatory service charge on NCL might be a little more stability in pay. As He would not have to worry as much about cheap passanger stiffing him.

I've often wondered if the engineers, techs, and maintenance folks had to work such grueling shifts also.

I served on three different ships in the Navy and running a ship at sea was an around the clock activity for everyone onboard. If you weren't standing watch you were seeing to cleanliness, maintenance or administrative matters. 16 hour days weren't unheard of while at sea. And that's all without a profit motive;). I imagine that all of the crew aboard every cruise ship works similar hours. Some jobs might be easier than others, but the hours are long nonetheless.

Archived