Just back from Nassau and Coco Cay

shui3000

Just got back from the Monarch of the Seas that departed 1/4//2010. The weather was unfortunate, but it was still a great vacation!

I like to snorkel everywhere I go for vacation, and I chose to go with an excursion at Nassau. We chose Stuart Cove's based on the recommendations from this forum. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!! Second best snorkeling I've ever done. First stop was a reef, beautiful fish, and same with the second. The third spot was with reef sharks! Unfortunately, the weather caused choppy waves which made the sharks come closer to the surface and be more aggravated. So, they didn't let us snorkel with the sharks that day, but they did let us go into the water while holding onto the ladder.

I really appreciated the staff's concern for our safety, at the same time, I appreciated how they didn't smother us and let us do what we wanted to do (no stupid life vests and no cattle herding).

The snorkeling at Coco Cay was interesting. A few sting rays swam by, coral is nothing to look at. Lots of need shallow water wildlife, conchs, starfish, etc. Lots of moon jellies. They're nothing to worry about unless you're sensitive. I heard a few people got stung badly, but when I got stung it didn't feel that bad, just a slight burn.

Coco Cay is my new favorite island.

So, in summary, Coco Cay is awesome and so is Stuart Cove.

All the arctic air coming down south from Canada affected our trip. So the outside temperature was in the 60's in the bahamas. This is not normal and occurs very rarely.

However, the water was great! It was about 76 degrees. My girlfriend gets cold quickly unless the water is at least 80 degrees, so we rented a wet suit for her.

I stayed in the water for hours and never got cold. I never wore a wetsuit. Getting out was a little chilly though.

You should be just fine, but if you're sensitive like my girlfriend, rent a wetsuit. BTW, it should be warmer in February.

Also, when you first get into the water at Coco Cay, the water is freezing, but if you swim 30 feet out, it's warm.

All the arctic air coming down south from Canada affected our trip. So the outside temperature was in the 60's in the bahamas. This is not normal and occurs very rarely.

However, the water was great! It was about 76 degrees. My girlfriend gets cold quickly unless the water is at least 80 degrees, so we rented a wet suit for her.

I stayed in the water for hours and never got cold. I never wore a wetsuit. Getting out was a little chilly though.

You should be just fine, but if you're sensitive like my girlfriend, rent a wetsuit. BTW, it should be warmer in February.

Also, when you first get into the water at Coco Cay, the water is freezing, but if you swim 30 feet out, it's warm.

where did you rent the wet suit?

where did you rent the wet suit?

at coco cay, you can rent it at the snorkel shack where you get the vest and other snorkel equipment.

if you book an excursion with stuart cove, they offer wet suit rentals for $10.

I really don't think a wetsuit is necessary though. The water temperature was great.

Would you mind telling me your opinion of the Monarch as far as evening entertainment/things to do, and the state of repair/disrepair. My dh is concerned we'd be unhappy (after sailing aboard Mariner and all the amenities). We would be two adults and a 16 year old teen.....does ship scream boredom for teen??? Thanks for any help you could provide, much appreciated....So new to cruising......

Thank You.

at coco cay, you can rent it at the snorkel shack where you get the vest and other snorkel equipment.

if you book an excursion with stuart cove, they offer wet suit rentals for $10.

I really don't think a wetsuit is necessary though. The water temperature was great.

• 1 month later...
Would you mind telling me your opinion of the Monarch as far as evening entertainment/things to do, and the state of repair/disrepair. My dh is concerned we'd be unhappy (after sailing aboard Mariner and all the amenities). We would be two adults and a 16 year old teen.....does ship scream boredom for teen??? Thanks for any help you could provide, much appreciated....So new to cruising......

We were on the monarch last year and it is in great shape for its age!....We love the mariner (3x sailed & one planned) but still like the smaller ships ...majesty in may b2b. I dont know about the teens...they seem to say occupied on any RCL cruise until the last day. Remember, you have a port almost every day so it is hard for them to get bored on the ship. The Monarch doesnt have the same open feeling as the mariner...no royal promenade nor ice skating rink. It has the centrum which is only a few decks high. The entertainment on any ship is hit or miss. last time the pianist was soso, but the canadian rock band was awesome. IMHO, the service on the smaller ships is more personal. Also, the rooms are itty bitty. Book a superior oceanview (deck 9) they are so worth it!

We just booked for May 3rd for our first time ever with RCI. Are there plenty of beach chairs or hammocks? We'd like to just hang out on the beach.

Also has anyone done the Yellowbird in Nassau? Yeah or nay?

Thanks!

The Monarch was the first cruise we went on. It was on the west coast then. Went twice more that year. We have also been on the Mariner and the Radiance. Since the ship is smaller, you run into the same people over and over. Helps in making friends. I can't wait to get back on her in April. Our first room was so small the bed was up against the wall. This time we booked the Superior Window on the 9th floor. Just have a great time and enjoy the staff, they will take very good care of you!:)

Archived