First time River cruisers - Europe - Viking?

annfi

We LOVE cruising - but have never done a smaller river cruise. We are in our early 50's and celebrating our 30th anniversary this year. Today on our local "talk radio" I heard the rep from Viking River Cruises and checked their website and hubby and I are intrigued by their 15 day Grand European cruise. Germany has been on our "to do" list. Any thoughts/suggestions. We are still in the very beginning dreaming stages of thinking of a 30th anniversary trip!

I have been on quite a few cruises and went on a Viking River Cruise once and loved it.

The smaller ship is nice, food was great, tours are included.

I just booked another Viking cruise to China last week.

You will love it.

The more we look at this Grand European itin the more we love it. How does the dining work? Is it set seating with set table mates? We have grown to love the freestyle with NCL. Age group?

You just choose a table when you go into the dining room.

There were four of us and we seemed to pick the same table every night.

In the morning we sat anywhere as we just ate and had to get ready to go on tours.

We had a mix of ages on the one I went on from 40's and up.

I think most were in their fifties and sixties.

There was one family with children. I know the older children were in a cabin next to us as we met them all on tours and one had forgot their camera charger so they borrowed mine.

We have been waiting for an inspiration as to what to do this year for our 30th anniversary and this radio talk show today about Viking River Cruises definitely caught our interest. So now, the question is whether there are other River cruise companies we should look at. We really like the 15 day Grand European Itinerary on Viking River Cruises. All suggestions welcome! Thank you!

We sat with different people at dinner quite a few times. Made some early friends and sat with them. Then as the cruise progressed we made new friends, and sat with them. Some times the tables they were at were full, so we sat with new people and MADE NEW FRIENDS!

That sounds great!

I can only rate two of them. Gate 1 and Viking. Gate 1 was a two week trip (land and river) with just seven days on the Danube. 120 people total. I loved it so much that the next year (2009) we booked 15 days on the Rhine on the Viking Sun that holds 200 people. I would do it again this year except we already booked a nineteen day ocean cruise in the British Isles. I did like the smaller amount of people on the Gate 1 trip although we were still in groups of forty people when we went on a tour. Very few optional tours available on either tour. Stops in large and small towns with a walking tour (with local guide) in each place and usually time on your own afterward. One or two days sailing during the day if in a very scenic place (Wachau Valley on the Danube - 40 mile stretch of castles (about one every two miles on the Rhine)). Usually saile in the afternoon or at night. Lots of Locks.

My suggestion to you would be to check out several of the cruise lines and do a little research on this (and other) sources to refine your cruise partner choice.

There are people who swear by Avalon and Uniworld and some other cruise lines as well.

We did a Euro Tauck Cruise (BUD to AMS)...absolutely wonderful!!!!

In your research check to see what is included in the price (shore excursions, wine with dinner, tips, cabin sizes and bed choices, etc.).

I have read enough posts on this board to realize that it is important to do your research and not be surprised or disappointed!

I agree with all the other posters. We did the Danube on Uniworld last year and it was wonderful. Cabin, food, entertainment, etc. all great. Was a 7 day cruise - too short. We did it on Uniworld as part of a longer trip through Insight Vacations.

This year we are going with Viking to Russia for 12 days in June 2010.

Again, your own research is your best indication of what you are getting. Compare apples to apples - what is included, what is not. ALWAYS consider private touring companies for your land tours - most cruise companies, and that includes river cruises, will only give you short and $$$$ tours.

Also, IMHO, check on doing your air on your own.

Mickie

Having experienced several River Cruise lines I would rate Viking at the bottom of the list in terms of food, cabins and amenities. The other lines such as AMA, Uniworld and Tauck outshine Viking in every way. I suggest you make your own flight arrangements..fellow passengers who used Viking had multiple stops to their destination when a direct flights were available.

Good luck!

Having experienced several River Cruise lines I would rate Viking at the bottom of the list in terms of food, cabins and amenities. The other lines such as AMA, Uniworld and Tauck outshine Viking in every way. .

Good luck!

I'm sure you will hear from other Viking Cruise fans about the wonderful experiences they have had, but if you research the CC threads you will find more serious complaints about Viking than all the other companies combined, so buyer beware. I have been following the comments here closely for the past 4-6 months and I don't think you can do wrong if you stick with Tauck, Avalon, AMA, Vantage or Uniworld. They seem to have universally happy customers. I think they all have itineraries similar to the one you like. Then its just a matter of comparing what's included in the package and what fits your budget. Good luck!

Dennis

I'd also take a look at Grand Circle. They don't seem to get much attention on the boards(probably due to the fact they don't use TA's). There doesn't appear to be much difference between the river boats (except for age)and they all dock in the same places,difference boils down to optional vs. included excursions and whether beer/wine is included with meals.

Thunderbird has it right. Viking would be my last choice. Be sure to compare everything that's included. I do not agree that you need a private company for your tours. Many lines,Tauck especially, include the tour cost and extras into the bargain. We had a wonderful wine tasting in the Wachau valley which was a total surprise. All pocketbooks are different, but IMO it's important to get the best value for what you put out. Viking although inexpensive, to me is not good value.

I think most people start with one line and stick with it unless something bad happens. Viking has had a lot of very negative press over the last few months.Tauck sounds nice but is way more expensive that the other lines.

We cruised Budapest to Amsterdam on Avalon 3 years ago and had a wonderful time. It could not have been better and I hated for it to end.I have another Avalon cruise scheduled in France as I got a fantastic 2 for 1 deal thru an online TA. I would have considered Avalon,AMA and Uniworld for this trip but I just happened to get the best price on Avalon.My online TA is fantastic and handles several of the cruise line. They always give an additional 10% discount on any tour they book.It usually makes things very "AFFORDABLE".:D

We have done 4 Viking trips and one Avalon cruise. We have seen the other lines in towns, but have never ventured beyond these two lines. Our first Viking trip was the Burgundy/Provence itinerary, and it was our first time, and we deemed it excellent. The next was the Paris/Normandy itinerary (again on Viking) and we liked it. Next, we did Paris/Prague on an older Viking ship (Viking Fontane); we were told that it was to be refurbished, and apparently it has been, but it REALLY needed it. It had the pullman/sofa bed combo, and I seriously thought about eliminating Viking from further consideration. Then we did a Tulip Time cruise with Avalon, and truly loved the experience. Our last venture was a Nuremberg/Bucharest Viking trip, and we chose it because some friends wanted to do it, and we had not been to Eastern Europe (except Prague) so we did it and enjoyed it. But I would rate Avalon superior to Viking.

It always feels so good to be back on the CC boards, dreaming of the next trip. I am requesting brochures from Tauck, AMA, Uniworld, Avalon and Grand Circle. I was in a bookstore this morning and picked up the current Conde Naste mag and Grand Circle is in their "top" list!

It always feels so good to be back on the CC boards, dreaming of the next trip. I am requesting brochures from Tauck, AMA, Uniworld, Avalon and Grand Circle. I was in a bookstore this morning and picked up the current Conde Naste mag and Grand Circle is in their "top" list!

I would NOT go by the Conde Nast rating...much discussion on this board about the merit of that rating!!!

Hi,

We're on the July Tauck Rhine/Moselle river cruise on the Jewel. We just finished our 13th tour with Tauck which included a Nile River cruise. They are a great company -- customer service, guides, food, accommodations, etc. Email me at scorpiosheila at yahoo dot com and I'll send you some press releases I have on the Jewel which just started service.

Sheila

Hi,

We're on the July Tauck Rhine/Moselle river cruise on the Jewel. We just finished our 13th tour with Tauck which included a Nile River cruise. They are a great company -- customer service, guides, food, accommodations, etc. Email me at scorpiosheila at yahoo dot com and I'll send you some press releases I have on the Jewel which just started service.

Sheila

Tried to email you, but it was returned. Is this address correct?

I would NOT go by the Conde Nast rating...much discussion on this board about the merit of that rating!!!

So which ratings would you go by ??

Sorry for the poor cut and paste job !!

Grand Circle Small Ship Cruises richtext_3471.jpg

Gold List Awards

World's Top Cruise Lines

Ranked #6

World's Top Cruise Lines

Ranked #3

2007 & 2006

World's Top Cruise Lines

Ranked #5

Readers' Choice Awards

richtext_1990.gif 2009

World's Best Small Ship Cruise Lines

Ranked #52008

Ranked #4

Ranked #2

2006 & 2005

Ranked in Top 5

Top Cruise Ships Worldwide (Cruise Poll)

5 Grand Circle small ships among Top 10 Small Cruise Ships Worldwide

8 Grand Circle small ships make "Best Of" list

M/S Bizet ranks #1, M/S Anuket ranks #2

2007 & 2006

3 Grand Circle small ships among Top Small Cruise Ships Worldwide

Archived