Haiti stricken by 7.0 magnitude earthquake

iamaqt2

You're welcome.

It's weird, but we were on Freedom of the Seas from 12/27-1/3, and we were scheduled to dock at Labadee on 12/29 but couldn't because of extremely high swells. The captain decided that it would be too dangerous to try to disembark so we had an extra sea day. I heard from ship employees that it was the first time that had happened there.

Very sad situation in Port au Prince. :(

So far it appears that cruise ships are still stopping in Labadee. I don't know about everyone else but I am not sure I want to be lounging on the beach so close to those who are facing such devistation. I would prefer to visit another port until things settle down.

So far it appears that cruise ships are still stopping in Labadee. I don't know about everyone else but I am not sure I want to be lounging on the beach so close to those who are facing such devistation. I would prefer to visit another port until things settle down.

I agree. It's on my itinerary (navigator 2/27) and have thougth about how inappropriate that would feel. The loss is so tremendous to people who already have so little. I'm hoping RCCL is sensitive to that and makes other arrangements. I'd be willing to take what I would have spent on a Labadee excursion and donate it to relief efforts instead of stopping there. I guess we'll see....

I agree. It's on my itinerary (navigator 2/27) and have thougth about how inappropriate that would feel. The loss is so tremendous to people who already have so little. I'm hoping RCCL is sensitive to that and makes other arrangements. I'd be willing to take what I would have spent on a Labadee excursion and donate it to relief efforts instead of stopping there. I guess we'll see....

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who might not feel quite right lazing away on a beach in Labadee while folks are suffering on the other side of the fences . . . I'm on FOS on 2/7, and I was wondering if RCCL would still go there. I like the idea of donating my excursion money. . .

The last thing that the people of Haiti need after such devastation is the added loss of income from the cruise lines cancelling this port. I think that the best thing the cruise lines could do is to ask the passengers to help in the relief effort. If all passengers were notified before boarding that RCCL would be accepting donations of supplies and money for the local people while visiting the island, I believe most people would want to try and help. Especially if this effort was coordinated and a list of needed supplies was put on their website with collection areas clearly marked at the pier. I think everyone would feel wonderful to see the needed supplies being loaded up and taken to those who need them while enjoying the beach.

This is a huge story. I'm rather disappointed that cc.com doesn't have some sort of news bulletin on the front page. I check cc.com every day, today being no exception, and was shocked when a co-worker told me about Haiti's earthquake, and I had NO idea.

The last thing that the people of Haiti need after such devastation is the added loss of income from the cruise lines cancelling this port.

I agree. I think that it is important for the ship to continue to dock and provide the income that these people so desperately need.

The resort is critical to the recovery of Haiti. Please keep the ships docking. Those folks you encounter in the resort are desperate for your donations and purchases. Kudos to all the ships who keep visiting the island.

I have read somewhere on this site that occassionally people bring old clothing to donate to the locals on Labadee. Would be a good idea to pack a few extra items (i.e. shirts, pants, shoes) on your next trip.

Tom

I am sailing on 02/21 with a planned stop in Labadee on 02/23. I am torn on stopping. On one hand I know the revenue is desperately needed in the country, on the other hand there is so much devastation. With as many casualties that are expected, disease and civil unrest could dominate over the next few months.

I am sailing on 02/21 with a planned stop in Labadee on 02/23. I am torn on stopping. On one hand I know the revenue is desperately needed in the country, on the other hand there is so much devastation. With as many casualties that are expected, disease and civil unrest could dominate over the next few months.

I was accused of being selfish for wanting to cancel and/or rescheduling our scheduled cruise in May, in wake of this awful tragedy in Haiti.

But you hit it right on the head when you mention civil unrest & disease that could easily spread due to dire circumstances there.

There are hundreds of people dead according to news reports whose bodies may unfortunately never be found & will start decaying especially with the temperatures there. This could pose serious health threats to everyone! This is of MAJOR concern.

I am scheduled to go there next month and I have a very uneasy feeling about it. I won't feel right flying down a zip line or lounging on the beach while thousands of people are suffering not far from me. I think the cruise line should cancel the stop and set up some kind of donation fund. I feel most would contribute.

I was accused of being selfish for wanting to cancel and/or rescheduling our scheduled cruise in May, in wake of this awful tragedy in Haiti.

But you hit it right on the head when you mention civil unrest & disease that could easily spread due to dire circumstances there.

There are hundreds of people dead according to news reports whose bodies may unfortunately never be found & will start decaying especially with the temperatures there. This could pose serious health threats to everyone! This is of MAJOR concern.

You are not selfish. There are many of us like you with exactly the same concerns. I too would feel much better if RCCL would bypass this port for the coming months until the country has had a chance to deal with the catastrophie.

Are you aware that the earthquake was on the south coast and that Labadee is on the north coast. There was no damage in Labadee or the near by community of Cap-Haitien. Thus there are no dead bodies decaying anywhere near Labadee.

On the flip side, those people need the income the ships provide.

Archived