Haiti stricken by 7.0 magnitude earthquake

iamaqt2

I was accused of being selfish for wanting to cancel and/or rescheduling our scheduled cruise in May, in wake of this awful tragedy in Haiti.

But you hit it right on the head when you mention civil unrest & disease that could easily spread due to dire circumstances there.

There are hundreds of people dead according to news reports whose bodies may unfortunately never be found & will start decaying especially with the temperatures there. This could pose serious health threats to everyone! This is of MAJOR concern.

Just curious what kind of disease you are afraid of getting from a dead body a hundred miles away:confused:?

You are not selfish. There are many of us like you with exactly the same concerns. I too would feel much better if RCCL would bypass this port for the coming months until the country has had a chance to deal with the catastrophie.

Thank you.....I'm glad to see that I am NOT alone in my concerns here!

Haiti and RCI have come to an agreementconcerning cruise ships visiting Labadee. The Haitian government wants and needs the income as do the individuals who work there. There is an article in USA Today that quotes a senior Haitian government official saying they WANT the tourists and ships there. You can feel sympathy for people without going off the deep end over it all. Not going will not help anyone. No one's lives are being risked by visiting Labadee.

For all of you who feel so badly about this do you think of all the poor people that live in almost all the ports you visit? This is a highly visible catastrophe, but there are people all over the world living in poverty every day of their lives. If you want to go through life feeling guilty, go ahead, but it will not FIX anything, or make those affected feel any better.

I would love to know where some people get their medical (and disease) "knowledge" because it's sorely lacking.

I have read somewhere on this site that occassionally people bring old clothing to donate to the locals on Labadee. Would be a good idea to pack a few extra items (i.e. shirts, pants, shoes) on your next trip.

Tom

When we went, a friend had told me it is almost impossible to get things like Aspirin and tampons in Haiti and that her Haitian friends always ask for donations to take when they go home. I gave a bag of Aspirin, soap, tampons, fabric, some French children's books, and toothpaste/toothbrushes to one of the beach guys. I also neatly folded my tshirt and old Teva sandals and left them.

Viv

I am going to be on the RCCL ship that is supposed to dock there on Monday. I wish RCCL would let us know if there is anything we can do. I'm just devastated by all the images and video coming out of there, and knowing I'm going to be THERE (hopefully, if we can dock) just makes me want to do something. I'm wondering if I bring some clothing, water, supplies, whatever... if it would make it to people who really need it.

I am going to be on the RCCL ship that is supposed to dock there on Monday. I wish RCCL would let us know if there is anything we can do. I'm just devastated by all the images and video coming out of there, and knowing I'm going to be THERE (hopefully, if we can dock) just makes me want to do something. I'm wondering if I bring some clothing, water, supplies, whatever... if it would make it to people who really need it.

ITA - I'm going on Freedom on Feb 7th and we'll be in Labadee for our first stop. I have a running conversation with some of our roll call group about what we could do, and the consensus is shop, shop, shop to put some money in the economy. But I'm not convinced that buying a couple hundred dollars' worth of tchotkes that I will end up giving to Goodwill is going to do me or Haitians in need a whole lot of good.

I've read that RCCL is stocking the cruise ships with relief supplies and taking them to the ports, so that is something. I also like the other idea about taking bags with toiletries, etc, but . . . I dunno. It's tricky.

I don't *think* I'm worried about disease three weeks out, but I also don't think you should make fun of anybody who is concerned - nobody wants to take a leisurely vacation in a devastated country, feel guilty about being a beach bum while folks 100 miles away are dying, do nothing to help, and then go home with dengue fever, malaria or typhoid.

I found RCCL's blog through their Facebook fan group. From the comments on the blog yesterday, and RCCL's response, it appears they don't feel donations of physical items is practical. They are teamed up with an organization called Food for the Poor, and they are asking anyone interested to donate with them.

Link to RCCL's blog:

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=769#comment-6606

Link to Food for the Poor:

https://secure3.convio.net/ffp/site/Donation2?df_id=6780&6780.donation=form1

I think I will make a donation, since that is what RCCL wishes, but I just wish it felt more tangible, like bringing supplies. But then again, it's not about me and how I feel, it's about getting help to these people.

I am sorry you feel that way. I was serious when I asked what kind of disease you are afraid of. You still haven't answered that and I did read the posts. I am going there in two weeks and am not afraid! Should I be?What kind of disease should I be afraid of getting ? Please inform me. I would like to help those poor people. I see people "doctors, red cross volunteers, army,ect. going to help them not running away from them. If it happened to you would you want someone coming to help you or treating you like a leper? Just curious. And, I wouldn't stop my entire cruise for it. Just do not get off the ship if they stop there.:)

On the news last night it said that the risk of disease will definately be elevated for the survivors. Things like gastro intestinal diseases and tuberculosis. Wether that would effect Labadee remains to be seen. Still it is a genuine concern and should not be dismissed lightly.

From the comments on the blog yesterday, and RCCL's response, it appears they don't feel donations of physical items is practical.

This is usually the case with any major disaster. It is almost always better to donate to an organization (like the Red Cross), and let them use the money to get the supplies needed. Blood donations are also needed!

The Independence, Navigator and Liberty OTS will all stop at Labadee as scheduled ...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=15086.blog

"There were a lot of discussions about (going ahead with calls), but in the end, Labadee is critical to Haiti's recovery and hundreds of people rely on Labadee for their livelihood," Royal Caribbean associate vice president John Weis writes today on a Royal Caribbean company blog.

Weis says Royal Caribbean executives talked with the U.N. Special Envoy of the Government of Haiti, Leslie Voltaire, before making the decision, and Voltaire told the company the revenues Haiti would generate from upcoming cruise calls would be critical to its recovery.

I agree. It's on my itinerary (navigator 2/27) and have thougth about how inappropriate that would feel. The loss is so tremendous to people who already have so little. I'm hoping RCCL is sensitive to that and makes other arrangements. I'd be willing to take what I would have spent on a Labadee excursion and donate it to relief efforts instead of stopping there. I guess we'll see....

Maybe stay on ship and donate any money that you may have spent on excursions or souvenirs. Maybe start a post for your roll call asking people to make a donation towards Haiti relief. It is a tragic situation and I too would not feel right lounging so close to devestation.

Maybe stay on ship and donate any money that you may have spent on excursions or souvenirs. Maybe start a post for your roll call asking people to make a donation towards Haiti relief. It is a tragic situation and I too would not feel right lounging so close to devestation.

How far away do you have to be before it okay to lounge?

ITA - I'm going on Freedom on Feb 7th and we'll be in Labadee for our first stop. I have a running conversation with some of our roll call group about what we could do, and the consensus is shop, shop, shop to put some money in the economy. But I'm not convinced that buying a couple hundred dollars' worth of tchotkes that I will end up giving to Goodwill is going to do me or Haitians in need a whole lot of good.

I've read that RCCL is stocking the cruise ships with relief supplies and taking them to the ports, so that is something. I also like the other idea about taking bags with toiletries, etc, but . . . I dunno. It's tricky.

I don't *think* I'm worried about disease three weeks out, but I also don't think you should make fun of anybody who is concerned - nobody wants to take a leisurely vacation in a devastated country, feel guilty about being a beach bum while folks 100 miles away are dying, do nothing to help, and then go home with dengue fever, malaria or typhoid.

When we went, we spoke quite extensively with a Haitian tour guide on our kayaking trip and also with a French Canadian RCCL employee who is stationed at Labadee. The people who work and sell stuff at Labadee make about $2500 a year. That is well about the national average income by about five times. They aren't going hungry.

However, that money often supports extended families. So, although someone working at Labadee won't be directly affected by the earthquake, chances are high that they have a chance to get extra US dollars that isn't available to many people in Haiti and that they have family affected.

Viv

So far it appears that cruise ships are still stopping in Labadee. I don't know about everyone else but I am not sure I want to be lounging on the beach so close to those who are facing such devistation. I would prefer to visit another port until things settle down.

PEOPLE ARE FACING DEVASTATION IN MOST ALL THE PORTS YOU STOP IN! THEY JUST HIDE THE REAL WORLD OF THE PEOPLE IN THOSE PLACES FROM YOU. YOU THINK ALL THAT MONEY YOU DROP AT DIAMOND'S INTERNATIONAL GOES TO HELP THE REAL PEOPLE --- NOOOT! MOST OF THE CASH GOES BACK TO THE CRUISE LINES OR THE CORRUPT GOV'T.

THE WORST THING FOR HAITI WOULD BE FOR US TO STOP GOING THERE. THEIR ECONIMY NEEDS ALL THE $$$ WE CAN SPEND THERE. MAYBE THIS TRAGEDY WILL OPEN UP MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND MAKE SOMETHING GOOD FOR THOSE POOR CHILDREN SUFFERING, AND MAKE A BRIGHTER FUTURE FOR THEM.

IF THERE WER AN EARTHQUAKE IN SANFRANCISCO, WOULD YOU CANCEL A TRIP TO FLORIDA? OR LOS ANGELES EVEN? :confused:

PEOPLE ARE FACING DEVASTATION IN MOST ALL THE PORTS YOU STOP IN! THEY JUST HIDE THE REAL WORLD OF THE PEOPLE IN THOSE PLACES FROM YOU. YOU THINK ALL THAT MONEY YOU DROP AT DIAMOND'S INTERNATIONAL GOES TO HELP THE REAL PEOPLE --- NOOOT! MOST OF THE CASH GOES BACK TO THE CRUISE LINES OR THE CORRUPT GOV'T.

THE WORST THING FOR HAITI WOULD BE FOR US TO STOP GOING THERE. THEIR ECONIMY NEEDS ALL THE $$$ WE CAN SPEND THERE. MAYBE THIS TRAGEDY WILL OPEN UP MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND MAKE SOMETHING GOOD FOR THOSE POOR CHILDREN SUFFERING, AND MAKE A BRIGHTER FUTURE FOR THEM.

IF THERE WER AN EARTHQUAKE IN SANFRANCISCO, WOULD YOU CANCEL A TRIP TO FLORIDA? OR LOS ANGELES EVEN? :confused:

If there were an earthquake in San Fran, I would definately have reservations about going to Los Angeles (although the two are much further apart than Labadee and Port Au Prince). As far as Florida goes, that senario is ridiculous.

If there were an earthquake in San Fran, I would definately have reservations about going to Los Angeles (although the two are much further apart than Labadee and Port Au Prince). As far as Florida goes, that senario is ridiculous.

I've been in Los Angeles when there was a major quake in San Francisco. I didn't even feel it and there was no damage.

I've been in Los Angeles when there was a major quake in San Francisco. I didn't even feel it and there was no damage.

While I am sure that is true it is hardly the same as Port-Au-Prince and Labadee. First of all, they are closer together. Still you probably say that the shake was not felt in Labadee. I will give you that. However, the death and distruction the country is dealing with is unprecidented. In coming weeks disease will spread and Haiti being a 3rd world country will have difficulty controlling it. Not to mention that there are two fault lines in Haiti that the news has reported and one of them goes through the Labadee area. I find it unnerving. Perhaps if the cruiselines addressed the concerns of their passengers by providing information some of these issues could be layed to rest and I could feel comfortable with their decision.

While I am sure that is true it is hardly the same as Port-Au-Prince and Labadee. First of all, they are closer together. Still you probably say that the shake was not felt in Labadee. I will give you that. However, the death and distruction the country is dealing with is unprecidented. In coming weeks disease will spread and Haiti being a 3rd world country will have difficulty controlling it. Not to mention that there are two fault lines in Haiti that the news has reported and one of them goes through the Labadee area. I find it unnerving. Perhaps if the cruiselines addressed the concerns of their passengers by providing information some of these issues could be layed to rest and I could feel comfortable with their decision.

Didn't you just defeat your own point, though? :confused:

You said that a quake in SF would make you avoid LA. Cuizer2 said they have been in that situation and there was no impact on LA. Now you say "that's true but that's not the situation in Haiti" - so what was the point of your original comparison?

I certainly understand your concern, I just don't get the point of your analogy. Is it that SF and LA are in the same state, and you wouldn't want to go in that state (taxing its resources) following a catastrophic natural disaster? Would you go to Reno? It's only half the distance, but it's in another state, so would that help? I just don't understand what you were going for.

Oh my...a report just came on. More images of the devastation. :(

I responded to your reference of SF and LA. California has 30 million people and almost as many earthquake faults. We survive just fine. I don't care if there is an earthquake fault under Labadee. More than likely there is one under my house. The 1971 Sylmar quake was less than ten miles from where I was sleeping (at the time). The 1994 Northridge quake was about five miles from where I was sleeping (at the time). Earthquakes happen. If it bothers you that much, don't visit California or Labadee.

Now, since there was no damage around Labadee, there is no reason to believe that anyone in the area was killed by the earthquake. The earthquake was more than 80 miles away and there is at least one mountain ridge between the two. So just how far away does a dead body have to be before you feel safe? If more than 80 miles, I suggest you avoid visiting New Jersey also (Jimmy Hoffa) .

I think there is more of a chance of another earthquake happening than getting a disease from a dead body. But, If it did happen you would (I think be safer on the beach in Labadee than in a building somewhere. Just hang on to a palm tree. :D And if it's huge and we all fall into the sea, then it must be our time to go. Seriously though, I hate earthquakes. I have been in every major one since 1971. Whittier "1987, Moved to Santa Clara , the higway bridge fell on everyone "1988" moved back had the northridge one "93"and the big bear one "95 I think". It is not fun waking up at 2 am having the house fall down around you. This is the reason I moved to Las Vegas:D But you know , there is radiation in Vegas so :eek::eek::eek:

Earthquakes do come in 3's so Let's see Northern Ca last week, Haiti this week. Seems like So. Ca due for another! Best bet, Go to Labadee and hang on to a palm tree with a life vest on in case of a tsunami. I will be there Jan 24th, 2010. I'll be the one with a life vest on:cool:

Archived