Hotels in Galveston

nblynch

If you had your choice between these three hotels in Galveston, which one would you stay at and why: Harbor House, Hotel Galvez, and The Tremont House. We'll be arriving at approx 6 pm and leaving the following day on VOS. Won't be spending a ton of time there....

If you had your choice between these three hotels in Galveston, which one would you stay at and why: Harbor House, Hotel Galvez, and The Tremont House. We'll be arriving at approx 6 pm and leaving the following day on VOS. Won't be spending a ton of time there....

When are you sailing?

Probably the Tremont. It's right around the corner from the port and the Strand is right there to eat, drink, shop. The Galvez is on the sea wall, it's a beautiful old hotel, but in my opinion the rooms are just so much smaller because thats how they made them in the early 1900's. If there is more than 2 of you I would shy away from the Galvez.

Tremont is nice and in the location you need. I'm not familiar with the Harbor House, sorry.

John

Harbor House is one the water. Ask for a room that you can see the incoming ships. Tremont is elegant as is the Galvez. The Galves is on the Seawall, but is a lovely hotel. If you are going to be there such a short time you might want to consider one of the motels. I think the newest is Marriott's Spring Hill. We have stayed there 2x before cruises.

I have not stayed at Harbor House but I have stayed several times at both Galvez and Tremont. I love the Tremont for the wood floors, high ceilings, ceiling fan in the room, large rooms and floor to ceiling windows. A very charming hotel and the location is great. Walking distance to about everything except the beach. No pool but you have privledges at the Galvez. Have a great time wherever you stay!

Since you are arriving so late with limited time, I can give you info on HH and Galvez - we have done both.

Galvez - has a shuttle to and from port, with a restaurant on site. Also a spa in case you want a service that night or morning. From there, you have a choice of restaurants or bars along the Seawall, most are either a long walk or a drive. Next door is Millers Landing which is great for breakfast. Lovely historic hotel. Parking garage with valet while you are on the cruise.

HH - at the port. Parking lot with security camera - uncovered. I think there is now a restaurant on site. You are walking distance to the Strand for shopping, eating and drinking. Big rooms, but no frills. Continental breakfast. Some people say you can walk to the ship - we did it once, :eek: not again. Lugging bags over uneven, potholey pavement while breathing bus and car fumes in humidity is no way to start a cruise. Pay the less than $10 for a cab. :) JMHO.

Hope this helps - we'll be getting off while you are getting on.

Since you are arriving so late with limited time, I can give you info on HH and Galvez - we have done both.

Galvez - has a shuttle to and from port, with a restaurant on site. Also a spa in case you want a service that night or morning. From there, you have a choice of restaurants or bars along the Seawall, most are either a long walk or a drive. Next door is Millers Landing which is great for breakfast. Lovely historic hotel. Parking garage with valet while you are on the cruise.

HH - at the port. Parking lot with security camera - uncovered. I think there is now a restaurant on site. You are walking distance to the Strand for shopping, eating and drinking. Big rooms, but no frills. Continental breakfast. Some people say you can walk to the ship - we did it once, :eek: not again. Lugging bags over uneven, potholey pavement while breathing bus and car fumes in humidity is no way to start a cruise. Pay the less than $10 for a cab. :) JMHO.

Hope this helps - we'll be getting off while you are getting on.

Does the Galvez still have a shuttle to the port? Going in July and one of those hotel sites gave me the Galvez. I was hoping for the Tremont but you take what you get and if the Galvez still has a shuttle to the port it makes it that much better for me. Also, if they still have it what's the cost?

Thanks for all and any info

You will be happy with any of the three.:)

All owned by same.

Just a matter if you want to be on Seawall, Port, or downtown.

All good locations!

Location of hotels, parking and shuttles will tend to make your decision for you.

Galvez - on seawall and 2 miles away from port.

Tremont - downtown and 2 blocks away from terminal.

Harbor House - on port and about 2 blocks away from terminal

Any questions please feel free to ask!

We live in Galveston!

Just booked Harbor House! Thanks to everyone for their input! Now we'll have to figure out where to have dinner..... Open to suggestions!! :)

see thread on same board Gulf Coast Departures

best place to get seafood in Galveston?? (multipage.gif1 2) :D

stephic411

Within 50 yards of your Hotel is :)

Olympia Grill in hotel

Willie G's

Fisherman Wharf

see other lists and suggestions in thread

All are close!

Ask more questions if you like. We live in Galveston!

What do you like?

Just wanted to add that the Tremont and Galvez are sister properties. You can stay at the Tremont, but still have complimentary parking and pool priviledges at the Galvez. (i.e. on embarkation day, you can park your car at the Galvez and catch their shuttle to the pier.)

We loved the Tremont(!); it was probably the most elegant hotel I've ever stayed in. I would only stay there again though, if it was just DH and I. Upon opening the room door, DD(6) was like "Oooooh, this place is FANCY!" :) The room was gorgeous, but with the hardwood floors and such, I felt like I had to really keep on DD about being quiet. I was very conscious of the fact that she was possibly making too much noise and bothering our neighbors, esp those who were below us.

Just wanted to add that the Tremont and Galvez are sister properties. You can stay at the Tremont, but still have complimentary parking and pool priviledges at the Galvez. (i.e. on embarkation day, you can park your car at the Galvez and catch their shuttle to the pier.)

We loved the Tremont(!); it was probably the most elegant hotel I've ever stayed in. I would only stay there again though, if it was just DH and I. Upon opening the room door, DD(6) was like "Oooooh, this place is FANCY!" :) The room was gorgeous, but with the hardwood floors and such, I felt like I had to really keep on DD about being quiet. I was very conscious of the fact that she was possibly making too much noise and bothering our neighbors, esp those who were below us.

So , Am I interpreting right , If I stay at Galvez or Tremont for a couple nights pre cruise I can park @ galvez free while we are away?

Just booked Harbor House! Thanks to everyone for their input! Now we'll have to figure out where to have dinner..... Open to suggestions!! :)

For close by, you can just walk to dinner at either Willie G's or Fisherman's Wharf......that's what we did.

Archived