Cut backs by cruise companies

parafire

I have read many complaints concerning cutbacks by all the cruise companies. Apparently these posters do not own a business. As a small business owner (lawn maintenance service) I was faced with either raising my rates and losing customers or reducing some of my extra services. The costs of fuel, oil, equipment parts, ect. have been on the rise the past few years. My loyal customers understood this and the only customers I have lost are those who are now unemployed. Or the ones who moved out over a weekend due to foreclosure.

So are you willing to pay more for your cruise vacation or do you adjust your cruise vacation expectations?

I'm happy that the fuel surcharge has not been reinstated. Yet!

The only thing I'm upset with is they terminated skeet shooting> Now that was FUN!

From when I took my first cruise in '95 til now, the cruise fare rate hasn't gone up much, if any, for a comparable cruise, same with airfare. The price of extras has risen and the ships hold more passengers, so that's where they are making up the difference. Yes, there have been cutbacks, but I still enjoy a cruise now as much as I did then. If I want to save a few $ I just cut back on a few drinks, book my own excursions, take an ocean view instead of a balcony or not and don't worry about it!

No matter what, a cruise is still one of the best values for a vacation!

I'm always amazed when people make excuses for offering an inferior product in order to maintain profits. Don't they realize that the word-of-mouth public relations gaffe they are making will only bite them in the behind, causing them to lose clients and credibility.

As long as I have a choice, when it comes to selecting a cruise, I will choose the best product, with the best itinerary, and at the best price. Frequently, all three converge, giving me an excellent deal.

That is why I'm cruising Carnival this fall. I looked at Princess and Holland America for a cruise to Hawaii for my family (Parents, Brother, Sister and spouses) and found the price point for a 14-day cruise to be about the same. Next, I took a look at Carnival and found a pair of 12-day cruises, to and from Hawaii, that were less expensive than the 14-day offerings of the other two lines

That's less expensive across 3 cabin categories (Inside, verandah and suite), and not just per day, but less expensive in total cost. How is it possible for Carnival to offer 24 days of cruising for less than the other two charge for 14 days? Not only that, but Carnival is offering a good product. With Carnival, we will get 13 days touring the islands, while the other two offered just 4 and 5 days. We get just as many sea days on each end, nearly three times as many days in Hawaii, and get to do it for less money. In the case of the suite my parents will have, more than $2,000 less.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I'm always amazed when people make excuses for offering an inferior product in order to maintain profits. Don't they realize that the word-of-mouth public relations gaffe they are making will only bite them in the behind, causing them to lose clients and credibility.

Bob

I agree with this statement. I for one...at the moment anyway do not have a big enough issue with the cutbacks to keep me from cruising.

With that said.....the last few years we have been loyal to RCCI because in our opinion the returning guests program (we were working hard as we could to reach Diamond) and the superior crew made it the better deal for us. With all the cutbacks going on, we see no difference between RCCI and Carnival and will book our future cruises with which ever line has the best price.

One sad thing about these companies making cutbacks is often when things return to normal they either do not reinstate what they cut or they drastically raise prices.

I agree with this statement. I for one...at the moment anyway do not have a big enough issue with the cutbacks to keep me from cruising.

With that said.....the last few years we have been loyal to RCCI because in our opinion the returning guests program (we were working hard as we could to reach Diamond) and the superior crew made it the better deal for us. With all the cutbacks going on, we see no difference between RCCI and Carnival and will book our future cruises with which ever line has the best price.

One sad thing about these companies making cutbacks is often when things return to normal they either do not reinstate what they cut or they drastically raise prices.

Hi Kidless,

Long time no see! Hope you and hubby been well.

It's always disappointing when a cruise line drops a feature that you like; however, everyone should understand making a profit is the name of the game. Now that I'm older and don't have to pinch pennies as much, I'm willing to pay a little more to get the special touches, but I well remember when I was younger and a few extra bucks in costs could be a deal breaker.

Archived