Have never cruised!!

moto9

We have booked our first ever cruise - on Island Escape! You can imagine how I am feeling after reading what has been said. We are celebrating our Ruby Wedding Anniversary this year and my husband has always wanted to go on a cruise. I have not but have given in! I was however,looking forward to it until I read these comments. Now I am very apprehensive :eek:

Our Special needs daughter will be with us. Our deposit is paid. Should I try to cancel? Has anyone else tried to cancel? I would welcome any replies please. Thank you.

Hi,

The Island Escape was our 1st cruise in April 2008. We went for my wife's 50th birthday and had a great time.

When we were aboard then there were a local family who had two special needs daughters. They were well looked after by the crew and had a great week to.

We enjoyed it so much that we went back with our 2 sons in their 20's last month. It was their 1st cruise. There were couples aboard for whom it was their 9th time aboard.

Unfortunately my good review of the ship has been overshadowed by the Christmas cruise who had problems with the extreme weather and the toilet system problems.

All the ships in the Thomson's fleet are about the same age, early 1980's and have many regular cruisers who love the cruise experience aboard their ships as they have such a great time and are well looked after by the crew despite the fact the ships are a bit older and worn at the seams.

Berwyn

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update my post in this excellent site. After reading many, many comments on Island Escape & Thomsons, we decided to continue with our original plans to have our first cruise on Island Escape. So it's all paid up now & we are counting down the days! :) I have learned so much from all you seasoned cruisers! Will continue to keep an eye on this site for help & advice. :cool:

Thanks again to all who take the time to help us novice cruisers! :D

Just wanted to update my post in this excellent site. After reading many, many comments on Island Escape & Thomsons, we decided to continue with our original plans to have our first cruise on Island Escape. So it's all paid up now & we are counting down the days! :) I have learned so much from all you seasoned cruisers! Will continue to keep an eye on this site for help & advice. :cool:

Don't be worried. We got back from our first cruise on Island Escape a fortnight ago. Like you we were apprehensive about going after reading some of the terrible reviews. We were really pleasantly surprised as we boarded to see how nice the public areas were. We had a cabin on deck 9 which was quite near to everything and we didn't use the lifts very often. The entertainment was good and the show lounges were well furnished and comfortable, although it's best to get in early for a good seat but with 2 shows a night you can always catch it later. We enjoyed having a cappuccino in the coffee bar and not having to find cash all the time was great, although we did watch what we spent. I think the Island Escape is a good first time cruise ship and the negative reports are from people who have been on posher ships before. At the end of the day you are off the ships on most days, we didn't do the trips as we have been to the Canaries many times but we found plenty to do and did trips to the local beaches and explored the towns. There is plenty of storage space in the cabins and don't forget to check under the bed for a pull-out storage box. OK the bathrooms are tired but spotlessly clean and again plenty of storage and clean towels. We only had a sea swell on one night and took the wrist bands (ebay) and Stugeron (on-line pharmacy sites) which worked quickly after a lie down for an hour. So have a great time, you can mix in or not as you wish as there's plenty of room on board.

Jan

Hi have alook here at my ship's pics.

http://s727.photobucket.com/home/Cymro1953/index

I have tried to put all the ship's pics in the Island Escape April 2008 album. The one with the ship's bow and sunset in it. Also more pics of her in the Canaries Cruise 2009 one too.

Berwyn

Hi we too are going on her for the first time in October for our 40th anniversary & hubbies 60th b/day we chose her as it is totaly relaxed (no dressing up) We are not expecting the Ritz, if so we would have chosen a more lavish ship! Some folk expect far more than what they are paying for. Like you we are realy looking forward to cruise & 7days stay in Callor bona another first.

Hope you have a brill time and a lovely ruby wedding anniversary.will look forward to your report when you come back ( if your daughter use a wheelchair i would be gratfull of wheelchair friendly comments) thanks Bardunc

Hi Bardunc

That's 3 of us. It's our Ruby wedding anniversary in September (I was a child bride you know :D, actually I was now I think about it). We are going on a cruise and stay in Turkey on the Celebration in late June. Can't wait.

I agree that people expect too much for the price, have they actually priced up hotel holidays lately. We booked last minute for the Island Escape and paid less than £500, and could have got it for a lot less at another airport. Flights, full board, good free entertainment and taken all over the place to visit different islands. We've holidayed in Britain and paid more after paying for accommodation, petrol, food etc. and getting bad weather (rain and mud :eek:) for our pains.

Have a nice time and happy Ruby Anniversary everyone. We deserve medals and I'd better get a real genuine ruby for my present, or else. :)

Jan

Hi Bardunc

That's 3 of us. It's our Ruby wedding anniversary in September (I was a child bride you know :D, actually I was now I think about it). We are going on a cruise and stay in Turkey on the Celebration in late June. Can't wait.

Have a nice time and happy Ruby Anniversary everyone. We deserve medals and I'd better get a real genuine ruby for my present, or else. :)

Jan

We're a bit behind you lot, it's our Pearl in October.(Thank goodness she doesn't like them Phew!! :D )

Berwyn

We're a bit behind you lot, it's our Pearl in October.(Thank goodness she doesn't like them Phew!! :D )

Berwyn

I missed out on that one. I've been conned :eek::D. Revenge.

Jan

I missed out on that one. I've been conned :eek::D. Revenge.

Jan

That's double rubies for you then Jan :D .

We were going on a cruise to celebrate but DW wants to see the Mayan ruins in Mexico. So we're doing a tour and stay there in sept.

Berwyn

That's double rubies for you then Jan :D .

We were going on a cruise to celebrate but DW wants to see the Mayan ruins in Mexico. So we're doing a tour and stay there in sept.

Berwyn

Double rubies, genius :D. Mayan ruins sounds good. Our second cousin has just got back from a trip in the Indian Ocean. Fab wildlife photos. He's quite an adventurer, he gets a passage on a research ship (costa lotta tho) and helps out on ship. He gets to go with them on their research. He was going to go on a Russian ship to the Arctic last autumn but had to drop out as he caught swine flu at the last minute. He's done this since his wife died 3 years ago, good on him. Makes our cruise look really soft.

Jan

Double rubies, genius :D. Mayan ruins sounds good. Our second cousin has just got back from a trip in the Indian Ocean. Fab wildlife photos. He's quite an adventurer, he gets a passage on a research ship (costa lotta tho) and helps out on ship. He gets to go with them on their research. He was going to go on a Russian ship to the Arctic last autumn but had to drop out as he caught swine flu at the last minute. He's done this since his wife died 3 years ago, good on him. Makes our cruise look really soft.

Jan

Sounds great, but i'm on holiday and I like comfort after years of Camping /caravanning here and do everything yourself.

We did look at doing it from the Dream's Caribbean cruises, but you only get 2 ports in Mexico. This way we get a full week seeing loads of ruins and a week A.I. in a 5 star hotel on the beach to recover.

Berwyn

Sounds great, but i'm on holiday and I like comfort after years of Camping /caravanning here and do everything yourself.

We did look at doing it from the Dream's Caribbean cruises, but you only get 2 ports in Mexico. This way we get a full week seeing loads of ruins and a week A.I. in a 5 star hotel on the beach to recover.

Berwyn

Yeah, I've done the camping, caravan bit for years too. Still do sometimes if the weathers good. You'll be a ruin yourself after the first week. Our Ottoman Treasures cruise is pretty full on as well so we've got a 5 star all inc. to recover, or not as it's a Thomsons Activity hotel :eek:. So bring on the keep fit.:D:D I hope to get a chance to read my book there.

Jan

Yeah, I've done the camping, caravan bit for years too. Still do sometimes if the weathers good. You'll be a ruin yourself after the first week. Our Ottoman Treasures cruise is pretty full on as well so we've got a 5 star all inc. to recover, or not as it's a Thomsons Activity hotel :eek:. So bring on the keep fit.:D:D I hope to get a chance to read my book there.

Jan

If It's anything like our tour, Fit To Drop more like. :D if you can do that lot you'll need an extra week to recover.

Berwyn

Hi we too are going on her for the first time in October for our 40th anniversary & hubbies 60th b/day we chose her as it is totaly relaxed (no dressing up) We are not expecting the Ritz, if so we would have chosen a more lavish ship! Some folk expect far more than what they are paying for. Like you we are realy looking forward to cruise & 7days stay in Callor bona another first.

Hope you have a brill time and a lovely ruby wedding anniversary.will look forward to your report when you come back ( if your daughter use a wheelchair i would be gratfull of wheelchair friendly comments) thanks Bardunc

Hi Both of you,

Don't worry when you get to the airport in Palma the Thomson's / Island Cruises people are crawling all over to help sort you out at that end.

the procedure is a bit different to the transfers on a hotel holiday but they've got it down to a fine art to get you from plane to the ship.

Berwyn

Worst bit is getting from the Plane to the bus :D..don't know about you but my luggage always seems last to come off the belt :(

Hope everyone have a great Holiday I know I will :p come June..Only 78 days and 20 hrs and 13 seconds..no 12 ..no 10 ..no 1..I could go on but I wont :D

I forgot the wedding anniversarys after the Diamond wedding ones..Keeps her on her toes :D

Worst bit is getting from the Plane to the bus :D..don't know about you but my luggage always seems last to come off the belt :(

Hope everyone have a great Holiday I know I will :p come June..Only 78 days and 20 hrs and 13 seconds..no 12 ..no 10 ..no 1..I could go on but I wont :D

I forgot the wedding anniversarys after the Diamond wedding ones..Keeps her on her toes :D

No you've got that back to front RR. It's getting from the bus and up the plane steps after a week or two's worth of A.I. and your sea legs. :D

Berwyn

You have that right..:D but its not me..2 guesses :p since she who must be obeyed turned 50, 2 years back ..she hasn't stopped drinking (being the landlords Daughter she saw what that done to peeps) but NOW .... I have warned Thomsons to get more Vodka in :eek: I will just stick with the 2 Arrows stuff :cool:

It's a good job we got the AI when we booked otherwise it would have cost us a fortune :o

You have that right..:D but its not me..2 guesses :p since she who must be obeyed turned 50, 2 years back ..she hasn't stopped drinking (being the landlords Daughter she saw what that done to peeps) but NOW .... I have warned Thomsons to get more Vodka in :eek: I will just stick with the 2 Arrows stuff :cool:

I know what you mean, we're definitely putting more back than we used to.

I'm lucky I work nights 4 nights a week so cant drink then. :(

We have booked our first ever cruise - on Island Escape! You can imagine how I am feeling after reading what has been said. We are celebrating our Ruby Wedding Anniversary this year and my husband has always wanted to go on a cruise. I have not but have given in! I was however,looking forward to it until I read these comments. Now I am very apprehensive :eek:

Our Special needs daughter will be with us. Our deposit is paid. Should I try to cancel? Has anyone else tried to cancel? I would welcome any replies please. Thank you.

I cruised February friends the next week and others the week after we will all go again. Ignore negative reports we all had great time.

Archived