Docking in Ijmuiden during Sail Amsterdam

No they(Askumama cruise Line) told me there was a TRAmmmm..but I thought better.. or the ferry (but this is not San fran):D

So we are headed to DELFT ????

and Thank you Very Much INE ! ! !

Dick:cool:

No they(Askumama cruise Line) told me there was a TRAmmmm..but I thought better.. or the ferry (but this is not San fran):D

So we are headed to DELFT ????

and Thank you Very Much INE ! ! !

Dick:cool:

Actually there also is a type of ferry to Amsterdam. You will have to walk at least 15 minutes or more to get there. However again during Sailin and sailout it will have no services. If you ckeck Google maps: the terminal is at Vissershaven(near the ferry to Newcastle)- while the ferry to Amsterdam leaves from Kanaaldijk/Stationsweg. Despite the name Stationsweg- the station in IJmuiden was closed a few years ago.

Anyother day, yes, it sails every 30 minutes from Pontplein to Amsterdam CS (at the back of Centraal Station).

Dayreturnticket will cost from E. 8.- to E. 9.40 depending on the time of the day. Payment in cash (Euros). Sailingtime is just over 30 minutes.

The site is in dutch, but you can check their website.

http://connexxion.nl/over_water/23/fast_flying_ferry/239/

And to get to Driehuis you will need to find a cab to get there. too far to walk. Or walk for a while to get busnr. 75 to Driehuis. Once in Driehuis you have to walk again for about 5 min.to get to the trainstation.

This website is in english and gives all details re public transport:http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/

So, I just spent a little time looking at the site that explains the I Amsterdam Travel Card, and that is a great deal.

But...

I don't think it is going to any value for us if we are having to come from Ijmuiden.

Does anybody know differently?

Looks like we may have to purchase an excursion from Azamara and pay ala carte for all of the museums, restaurants and canal cruises.

Is someone knows if we could make the card work, I would be interested in hearing from you.

It is such a shame as two of our top three museums were free of charge, we are planning on going on one canal cruise (which we have two options for free), plus the discounts at the other museums and restaurants.

Is there any good news out there concerning getting into town from this port, or are we looking at forking out $100 for transportation and paying full price for everything?

Thanks in advance.

So, I just spent a little time looking at the site that explains the I Amsterdam Travel Card, and that is a great deal.

But...

I don't think it is going to any value for us if we are having to come from Ijmuiden.

Does anybody know differently?

Looks like we may have to purchase an excursion from Azamara and pay ala carte for all of the museums, restaurants and canal cruises.

Is someone knows if we could make the card work, I would be interested in hearing from you.

It is such a shame as two of our top three museums were free of charge, we are planning on going on one canal cruise (which we have two options for free), plus the discounts at the other museums and restaurants.

Is there any good news out there concerning getting into town from this port, or are we looking at forking out $100 for transportation and paying full price for everything?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you talk about being here during Sail, (and that is why your ship docks in IJmuiden) forget publictransport that day.

Either book a private driver or the shipsexcursion.

Also check on your Roll-call for fellow-passengers that may want to share this day and the costs with you.

Yes, we will be in Amsterdam in August, during Sail, on a Thursday, the 19th I believe.

Thanks. Sounds like you are speaking from experience.

Concerning not being able to make the card worth our while, that is what I figured. I really like helping the world economy, really I do, but this seems odd to me that the cruise line isn't up to date on this. And we all seem to just be on our own.

Is Sail worth going to see? I surely hope so. I was imagining just stepping off the ship and having a short walk into town.

If we are planning on doing a couple museums, a canal cruise, and a restaurant or two, what would you recommend for currency (amount/type)? It sounds like in Copenhagen we need the Kroner at quite a few establishments, what are your thoughts on amounts currency for Amsterdam?

We have a Capital One card that does not add the foreign charges on it, but I understand, that it is not good wherever we go.

Sail is a 5-yearly big event with lots and lots of people watching the ships. Many tallships will be sailing in from IJmuiden to Amsterdam and all those people will be along the Northseanal. Roads along the canal will be closed for traffic.

http://www.sail2010.nl/en/

In IJmuiden you certainly can watch this Sailin on August 19, but it will be busy.

I think it is strange that a cruiseline plans a stop in NL that day, because of the trafficproblems. IJmuiden is quite a distance from Amsterdam.

Also the following days no cruiseship can dock at the cruise-terminal in Amsterdam, because the tallships will be there.

Amsterdam itself will be busy along the port, inside the city it will be as usual.

If you really want to see the museums, indeed - although expensive - again I think either the shipexcursion or a private driver is your best option.

In The Netherlands you will need Euros. Be aware that not all restaurants or shops accept creditcards, so bring some cash.

• 1 month later...

I want to get Euros for a lunch and dinner for two people in Amsterdam. Simple lunch/cafe and same for dinner. How many Euros should I have? Is a lunch about 30 U.S. dollars each person? Is a cafe for dinner much more than that? We will be there on the Azamara Journey on Aug.19.

Alice

EUROS and BANK CARDS ! ! !

Remember Amsterdam is a Large and Metropolitan City although the area you want to visit is deep in history and years. Bank Cards are welcome at eating establishments there too. If you are wishing to secure Euro's figure you might see a trinket or gift you might want to purchase also and get enough. Unless you never plan to travel to Europe again excess Euros at the end is not a problem no matter what the exchange rate.;)

I always head over with 50-100 and exchange more as I need them. Gives me transportation/taxi money until I find an ATM or Bank.:)

Julie and Dick:cool:

I want to get Euros for a lunch and dinner for two people in Amsterdam. Simple lunch/cafe and same for dinner. How many Euros should I have? Is a lunch about 30 U.S. dollars each person? Is a cafe for dinner much more than that? We will be there on the Azamara Journey on Aug.19.

Alice

For those of you sailing to Amsterdam on Azamara on August 21 the website of the cruise-terminal now states you will be docking at VCK terminal.

That terminal is in the western part of Amsterdam (Close to Coentunnel).

Although public transport isnot that good, it is much closer to the city then Ceres Terminal or IJmuiden.

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/index.php?site=cruises&hc=cruisekalender&sc=92

So check once again with your cruise-line the exact spot where your ship will dock.

Ine,

I followed that link, but it brings up the Oceania Regatta. I went to the Cruise calendar part, but don't see anything about the Azamara Journey. Can you please double check this information or the link?

Thanks for keeping an eye out for us!

Ine,

I followed that link, but it brings up the Oceania Regatta. I went to the Cruise calendar part, but don't see anything about the Azamara Journey. Can you please double check this information or the link?

I just sent an e-mail to the port authorities to check it again.

It is very confusing during Sail since various places to dock are used.

I will let you know.

Ine,

I am now totally confused. We are on the Regatta(Oceania) and are suppossed to dock at Ceres Quay on August 21. Are we now at another dock? If we are, I will need to change our taxi pickup to the new dock. Please let us know. I went by the information that we were given the first of the year. We have our Anne Frank tickets already for the morning. There are eight of us traveling here.

If it were not for CC, I would never know any of this. Thanks again.

Pearl

Hi Ine:

You are very helpful and knowledgeable. I have been trying to find out how to get from our cruise ship - Maasdam, August 4 and 5th to the Artis zoo by public transport. I have asked this from various sources and they say to ask the tram operator. What tram operator?

We are in Amsterdam 2 days so that is nice. For the first day we did buy a combined ticket for the 1-1/2 hour bus and the hop on boat tour. I have taken the canal cruise before, in fact, the first time was in 1952 just before we left for Canada. Maybe 6 or 7 times but now they seem to have 4 different canal tours with the ticket.

Still, it doesn't mention anything about the zoo. I had such a good time there about 1947 or so. Now I wish to visit it again, dragging along my husband. I understand they have an aquarium as well. I think our boat docks behind Central Station.

Thanks for your reply

Johanna

Hi Ine:

You are very helpful and knowledgeable. I have been trying to find out how to get from our cruise ship - Maasdam, August 4 and 5th to the Artis zoo by public transport. I have asked this from various sources and they say to ask the tram operator. What tram operator?

We are in Amsterdam 2 days so that is nice. For the first day we did buy a combined ticket for the 1-1/2 hour bus and the hop on boat tour. I have taken the canal cruise before, in fact, the first time was in 1952 just before we left for Canada. Maybe 6 or 7 times but now they seem to have 4 different canal tours with the ticket.

Still, it doesn't mention anything about the zoo. I had such a good time there about 1947 or so. Now I wish to visit it again, dragging along my husband. I understand they have an aquarium as well. I think our boat docks behind Central Station.

Thanks for your reply

Johanna

Your boat will dock at the Passenger Terminal, which is near, but not right behind the Central Station. You can take tram nr 9 from the Central Station to Artis. One of the lines of the hop-on-hop-off canal bus also goes there.

Ine,

It is just listed as JOURNEY

The only one I see is Aug 31st

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/index_en.php?site=cruises&hc=cruisecalendar

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/index_en.php?site=cruises&hc=cruisecalendar&sc=52

Ine,

I am now totally confused. We are on the Regatta(Oceania) and are suppossed to dock at Ceres Quay on August 21. Are we now at another dock?

Pearl

Looks like you are at another dock

When you get your Cruise planner it should have the dock location as well as a number for the port agent

Lyn

Yes, I understand that. I was just trying to get all my ducks in order before I leave. Once we leave I will not have internet or phone service which will make it a little more difficult. I also should find out if it will be easier or more difficult for us to get into the city. We do have the cab for all day, but they should have a heads up sooner rather than later. Perhaps, Ine will know something.

Thanks.

Pearl

Yes, I understand that. I was just trying to get all my ducks in order before I leave. Once we leave I will not have internet or phone service which will make it a little more difficult. I also should find out if it will be easier or more difficult for us to get into the city. We do have the cab for all day, but they should have a heads up sooner rather than later. Perhaps, Ine will know something.

Thanks.

Pearl

We just got our Cruise planner for our July 11 cruise so you should get yours in plenty of time to make changes

But then again it could change before you arrive depending on the port authority.

I would make sure you have your driver check before he picks you up & carry the phone number of the port agent handy

Maybe INE can confirm if the VCK on this map is the one they mention on the cruise calendar? Looks like across the harbour from CERES

http://www.portofamsterdam.nl/smartsite.dws?id=218&kaart=ns_Westhaven_gr.jpg

Your boat will dock at the Passenger Terminal, which is near, but not right behind the Central Station. You can take tram nr 9 from the Central Station to Artis. One of the lines of the hop-on-hop-off canal bus also goes there.

Thank you so much for that information. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Good to know that the hop on hop off canal also goes near the zoo.

If we can do it all the first day, the 1-1/2 hour bus, the 4 routes on the canal boat and the zoo, then we can visit Utrecht the next day by train. I was born there.

Johanna

We just got our Cruise planner for our July 11 cruise so you should get yours in plenty of time to make changes

But then again it could change before you arrive depending on the port authority.

I would make sure you have your driver check before he picks you up & carry the phone number of the port agent handy

Maybe INE can confirm if the VCK on this map is the one they mention on the cruise calendar? Looks like across the harbour from CERES

http://www.portofamsterdam.nl/smartsite.dws?id=218&kaart=ns_Westhaven_gr.jpg

Indeed that is the location of the VCK dock, it is in the western section of town.

The Ceresterminal is more west - more or less opposite Nauerna/Westzaan

Thanks.

Pearl

I will doublecheck again re the docking places of the Azamara Journey as well as the Regatta. Will report back as soon as I know more.

Ine... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! ! ! ;)

On behalf of all of us travelling to Amsterdam whether it be Azamara or Oceania or little red rented rowboat. THANK YOU so much for your efforts and dillegence in suppling us with courteous and needed information...

Again... :)

THANK YOU ! ! ! THANK YOU ! ! ! THANK YOU ! ! !

Tot ziens !

Julie and Dick:cool:

I got a reply on my 1st question, on August 19 the Azamara Journey will indeed dock in IJmuiden due the festivities of Sail 2010.

No reply yet on my 2nd request re August 21 - Azamara Regatta. According the cruise-terminel schedule it will be the VCK terminal, but I asked for another confirmation about that.

It is almost sure Regatta will dock at the VCK terminal as on the same day the Costa Luminosa will be in Amsterdam and will dock at the Ceres terminal. VCK terminal is better since you are closer to city-center.

I donot expect a confirmation during the weekend, but as soon as I get a reply I will let you know.

Thank you, Ine! I don't know if it makes a difference but we are on Oceania's Regatta not through Azamara. We are due in Amsterdam on August 21, 2010. Thank you so much for checking this out for me. I will wait until the first of the week for an answer.

Pearl

Archived