Queen Victoria transiting Panama Canal

jeep-kk

Queen Victoria currently transiting Panama Canal.

For those of you that aren't sure what this means, basically the canal was built nearly 100 years ago and was built to avoid ships having to travel 14,000miles around South America in order to cross from the Pacific to the Altantic Oceans.

The canal is 48 miles long, and can sometimes take many hours to get across the three series of locks that raise and lower ships in comparison to sea level.

Enjoy :o

qv_bridge.jpg

Queen Victoria currently transiting Panama Canal.

For those of you that aren't sure what this means, basically the canal was built nearly 100 years ago and was built to avoid ships having to travel 14,000miles around South America in order to cross from the Pacific to the Altantic Oceans.

The canal is 48 miles long, and can sometimes take many hours to get across the three series of locks that raise and lower ships in comparison to sea level.

Enjoy :o

qv_bridge.jpg

I was watching a youtube clip of the Dawn Princess doing the Panama Canal last night actually. What the person has done has effectively spliced all the web cam shots together, so you get to see the whole process taking place in about 1 and a half minutes. It looks a bit like time lapse, its full on...i never quite realised how it was all done!

:)

Thanks guys. DH was watching the hi-res cam last night, but gave up and went to bed, so he can have a drool today. :)

The Canal cam must have been very busy when Victoria went through, as I logged onto it ,but it took ages and ages to open, so I gave up.

Archived