Cruise Ship Horn Battle

jeep-kk

Found this on you tube, it is a cruise ship horn battle between a Carnival Cruise Ship and a Walt Disney Cruise Ship.

The first horn you will hear is the Disney Ship (where the footage is being taken from).

Keep listening to the whole clip (1 minute) its quite cleaver. Who do you think wins the battle with the best horn?

Damn, I wish I could get broadband, I can't view any clips on this dial up. I will have to go to daughters place and have a look. I love the fog horns. The Sapphire had to put the fog horn on coming back from Oz to Auckland. Our cabin was on the top deck, with balcony, and it was great, sitting out there, sailing through the fog listening to it. There were so many complaints around the ship from some passengers about it. It's there for a reason for goodness sake, but it really made you feel like you were on a ship, just like in the old films.

In 2004, we flew over and joined QM2 for her maiden voyage into the Med.

That was an amazing voyage for horn blowing. Sea tradition calls for other ships to greet a new ship on the sea as they pass each other , and as we were in many ports with many other ships, sail outs were awesome.

Wowwww! That sent shivers up my spine. Wonderful sound - that's given me a fix for the day! :D:D:D

I remember trying to make sure i was always filming when the horn went off on our sailaway from Sydney Harbour, and all 3 times all you end hearing is me screaming over the top of the horn as it scared the bejesus out of me! Big butch thing i am :p

I remember trying to make sure i was always filming when the horn went off on our sailaway from Sydney Harbour, and all 3 times all you end hearing is me screaming over the top of the horn as it scared the bejesus out of me! Big butch thing i am :p

Haha Jas, I actually jump, just about out of my skin, if I am not prepared for it. Same with fireworks. :D

Any "Maritime experts" out there who could tell us

when ships are permitted/required to blast the horn?

I know when a ship is getting underway,

they give 3 blasts,

and as mentioned above use it in fog.

I always wait for it as we leave a port ,

but sometimes it does not happen.

Any "Maritime experts" out there who could tell us

when ships are permitted/required to blast the horn?

I know when a ship is getting underway,

they give 3 blasts,

and as mentioned above use it in fog.

I always wait for it as we leave a port ,

but sometimes it does not happen.

The 3 blasts mean the vessel is operating its propulsion astern. Your only allowed to use your horn when operating in conditions with restricted visibility, overtaking another vessel, nearing a narrow channel, when manouvering or when unclear of another vessel intention.

Enjoy !!!!!!

Archived