Winter Olympics

Jo and Rob

Since the Olympics are a one time thing, who knows which ships if any will carry it.

We'll be on the same cruise as you, also hoping to see at least some, but won't want to waste inter net minutes on watching events. I guess we'll have to catch up the next week or hope that our favorite events are in the second week.

I really, really, really hope they aren't going to show olympic coverage at night instead of the standard MUTS. There is nothing I enjoy more than snuggling up with my spouse and watching a movie under the stars, not the 4 man bobsled.

It all depends on who the four men are . . . cause those tight outfits -- mmm,mmm,mmm.

For those keeping track, that's my second totally frivolous post on this thread!

Does anyone know if we will be able to see the Winter Olympics on the Crown?

Don't know where your ship is going to be, but in 2008 we were on a European cruise, notta... was too bad as it would have been nice for the kids to see the summer one. We bought a highlight DVD and most of the big stuff is available on the internet but it simply isn't the same.

I spoke with a Princess rep in the Entertainment dept. and she said the only coverage would be the headlights on the TV channels(CNN). They were not purchasing the broadcast rights to show Olympics on the ships.

She did say they were showing the Superbowl.

Steve

Superbowl! Sorry as a Brit this means nothing to me. We are cruising the week of Valentine's Day, will we get movies or Superbowl?

Hi Jo and Rob,

I would ask a Princess Rep or post this question on our Roll Call Board.

See you on Board!

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

I'm on the ship for the first week of the olympics. I'm very relieved that I have two tivos with external 500 G hard drives, and enough ship internet minutes to program them.

I wouldn't want to miss curling! (Kidding - I like skating, sledding and skiing in that order.)

Superbowl! Sorry as a Brit this means nothing to me. We are cruising the week of Valentine's Day, will we get movies or Superbowl?

I would expect that if you are on a cruise in the North America area, you will get the Super Bowl on MUTS, if your ship has MUTS.

If you're crusing the week of Valentine's Day, you'll be spared. The SuperBowl is on Sunday, February 7th. Now, if you're cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale and are flying in a little early, you may run into some leftover crowds, as the SuperBowl is being played in Miami this year...

• 1 month later...

Nothing, zero, zilch. No coverage was shown at all, just a white board with the last days results. Had quite a few angry people who were told differantly by thier travel agents.

Personally, I think they would have made thier money back and then some in liquor sales had they shown some of it.

John Heald on Carnival tuned the gold medal Hockey game in on the bigscreen for his passengers. Why couldn't Princess? Same company...

And they were able to show the Superbowl in Antarctica. As my husband said, 100 years ago, Shakleton fought for his (and his crews) life there, and now they're showing the superbowl live on the jumbotron. Amazing really.

And I'm still watching the Olympics from my tivo. It's going faster since my company is running out of money and laid me off (maybe it's a furlough - we'll see).

Nothing, zero, zilch. No coverage was shown at all, just a white board with the last days results. Had quite a few angry people who were told differantly by thier travel agents.

Personally, I think they would have made thier money back and then some in liquor sales had they shown some of it.

John Heald on Carnival tuned the gold medal Hockey game in on the bigscreen for his passengers. Why couldn't Princess? Same company...

Yep - we cruised on the Ruby during the Olympics and there was no coverage except summary on CNN. We were flying back when the hockey game for the Gold between the USA and Canada began we found a great bar in airport to watch it - which was fun. We boarded the plan when it went into overtime - the pilot gave us updates. Now that's service.:D

However, we got plenty of Samantha Brown onboard to last a lifetime.:rolleyes:

As a self-confessed olympoholic I learnt my lesson during the 2000 summer games. We were cruising Princess in Europe and there was nothing shown at all. No more cruises for me during the olympics - watching the DVD afterwards just isnt the same :(

Archived