A First Time Cruiser's Review of the Carnival Pride

Duckie26

It was my first time seeing “blue” water and it almost made me cry

Thanks for a good review! The above sentence that I quoted from you is exactly why I keep cruising! I was amazed at the color and that feeling has never changed!:D

My DH and I will be on the Pride in April. Our very first cruise. Reading your review was just awesome. I needed to read a review from the perspective of a brand new cruiser. You and your DH sound a lot like us. We just want the vacation. Great pictures, too.

Duckie~ About how much was your car rental in FL? Did you book it through the car rental website? We went to do the space center but I think the price is crazy to book with the boat. Wouldn't mind do this one on our own. We are planning on book the pride feb 20 of 2011.

Great Review...Love your Pictures

Hi neighbor! (I am in Charles county :D) What a great review. Crusing is addictive, isn't it? I see you have next year booked allready! I think you have convinced me to try the Pride. It would be WONDERFUL to not have to pay airfare.

Excellent review.

Can you answer a question or two? I read a review on another site saying the ship was dirty and service was slow. Did you find that to be so? These people are asking for compensation saying their room steward was only in their cabin 3 times, that ashtrays were overflowing and windows were dirty, no drink service (they had to go to the bar themselves) and no plates or silverware in the buffet.

Although I've never cruised Carnival, I've been a member here long enough that I simply don't believe these people had all these problems and, if they did, why they didn't go to Guest Services since they claim to be frequent cruisers.

Thanks everyone! :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

Thank you for the review. It was great. Can you tell me some of the dinners you enjoyed at the buffet. Was the pool covered when you left Baltimore. Was it warm enough to sit by during the first and last 2 days?

Oh man... we ate so much! LOL But a couple things that stand out was the Beef Stroganoff, Oklahoma Fries, Chicken Parmesan, and my DH will tell you any night they were carving beef, which was quite a few! Oh.. and the mashed potatoes with brie were pretty killer too.

Yes, the pool is covered when it is not warm outside, so it was covered most of cruise. I don't know how warm it was because we never sat up there but people were up there all day long! And the chair hogs were up early the first day laying out their flip-flops and towels.

They still do all the poolside activities and parties up there and I imagine that it warms up pretty good in there once the deck fills up. If in doubt, take your robe from your room. :) I saw lots of people wearing them up there.

My DH and I will be on the Pride in April. Our very first cruise. Reading your review was just awesome. I needed to read a review from the perspective of a brand new cruiser. You and your DH sound a lot like us. We just want the vacation. Great pictures, too.

That makes me so very happy to hear. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) If you have any questions at all, you can email me at: jenarg26@verizon.net if you don't feel comfortable asking them here. I know exactly how you are feeling.

Duckie~ About how much was your car rental in FL? Did you book it through the car rental website? We went to do the space center but I think the price is crazy to book with the boat. Wouldn't mind do this one on our own. We are planning on book the pride feb 20 of 2011.

Great Review...Love your Pictures

Thanks! I did do my reservation on the website and I think we ended up paying a little more than $80, but remember we got a sports car. You can rent something much cheaper than that! It will cost you about $80 alone to get in to KSC buying the cheapest "tour" package.

Hi neighbor! (I am in Charles county :D) What a great review. Crusing is addictive, isn't it? I see you have next year booked allready! I think you have convinced me to try the Pride. It would be WONDERFUL to not have to pay airfare.

*Waving from St. Mary's* We were off the ship and home within an hour and a half plus you get to sail all the way down the bay! You can't beat that!

Hope you give her a try! :)

Excellent review.

Can you answer a question or two? I read a review on another site saying the ship was dirty and service was slow. Did you find that to be so? These people are asking for compensation saying their room steward was only in their cabin 3 times, that ashtrays were overflowing and windows were dirty, no drink service (they had to go to the bar themselves) and no plates or silverware in the buffet.

Although I've never cruised Carnival, I've been a member here long enough that I simply don't believe these people had all these problems and, if they did, why they didn't go to Guest Services since they claim to be frequent cruisers.

The only thing that I can agree with any of that is that yes, the windows were dirty BUT... you are on the freaking ocean!!! Salt water is a bitch.. pardon my language.

But by the second day, they were cleaning all the decks and windows and they even pressure washed my balcony one day. They HAVE to clean the ship constantly or the salt water would eat it alive!!

I never saw empty plates or silverware unless it was closed. Ashtrays were plentiful and usually clean, sometimes not but never overflowing.

I always saw waitstaff walking around with trays of drinks by the pools and my room steward was wonderful. We didn't see him until late the 2nd day and they were all running behind because of the surprise immigration check but my room itself was never neglected.

The only thing that I can agree with any of that is that yes, the windows were dirty BUT... you are on the freaking ocean!!! Salt water is a bitch.. pardon my language.

But by the second day, they were cleaning all the decks and windows and they even pressure washed my balcony one day. They HAVE to clean the ship constantly or the salt water would eat it alive!!

I never saw empty plates or silverware unless it was closed. Ashtrays were plentiful and usually clean, sometimes not but never overflowing.

I always saw waitstaff walking around with trays of drinks by the pools and my room steward was wonderful. We didn't see him until late the 2nd day and they were all running behind because of the surprise immigration check but my room itself was never neglected.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. I realize that sometimes things can get a little out of hand for the staff but these people just seemed to have a laundry list of complaints.

Ducky,

I have to say your review has made me all the more anxious for our trip on the Pride in 30 days!!!..02/21/2010. I can't wait until I show my mother and brother your review, this will be their first cruise and you tell it so grandly!..lol. Best review i've read yet. Maybe I'll see you on the Pride next year!;)

Ducky,

Best review i've read yet. Maybe I'll see you on the Pride next year!;)

Wow! I've read some pretty great reviews here ...and I'm honored that you would even say that. Thanks!!

Very nice review. I appreciated your honest commentary and loved your pictures. Seemed like you are now hooked like the rest of us. The Pride is a wonderful ship. Glad you enjoyed your first cruise!

Yes... I am hooked and so is the DH, which really surprises me. I wasn't sure how he was going to take to cruising but he loved it just as much as I did.. if not more!! It was a wonderful experience for both of us.

You did a terrific job on your first review, Duckie! I can't wait to sit out on your balcony :)

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a thorough review and to come back and answer more questions. Your pictures are awesome!

[quote name='a3593']Hi neighbor! (I am in Charles county :D) What a great review. Crusing is addictive, isn't it? I see you have next year booked allready! I think you have convinced me to try the Pride. It would be WONDERFUL to not have to pay airfare.[/quote]

Hello!! another Charles County neighbor! We are in southern charles and leave on the pride next week (1/31) cant wait!

Ducky--Great review! You have us really counting down the next 8 days!!

[quote name='concreteman']Hello!! another Charles County neighbor! We are in southern charles and leave on the pride next week (1/31) cant wait!

Ducky--Great review! You have us really counting down the next 8 days!![/quote]

Hellllooo neighbor and thanks! You are going to have a great time

I have to tell you that your post and screen name made me laugh. I just apologized to the DH because I'm afraid he is going to be on a job site one day and somebody is going to come up to him and say they saw a pic of him on this board.

He's in construction too... a surveyor, and I can only assume by your screen name that you are too. LOL

[quote name='Duckie26']Hellllooo neighbor and thanks! You are going to have a great time

I have to tell you that your post and screen name made me laugh. I just apologized to the DH because I'm afraid he is going to be on a job site one day and somebody is going to come up to him and say they saw a pic of him on this board.

He's in construction too... a surveyor, and I can only assume by your screen name that you are too. LOL[/quote]

You got it! I am GM of a ready mix concrete supplier. The second biggest in Maryland and surely the largest in southern Maryland......should not be hard to guess HA! Tell him dont worry if I post a picture review I will surely be leaning more than he was the first night :D

Duckie26 - Thanks for the great review. I loved the photos and your honesty. We sail in June so there is very little chance of ice on the shower but I am very excited about the trip. I too was hooked on cruising after my first trip. They are always the most relaxing vacations.

If you don't mind me asking - for the Jeep excursion - I assume that you drove them yourself? Are you paired with another group in your Jeep?

For the person asking about rental cars at Port Canaveral - using a COSTCO discount, I am looking at a car from Budget for less than $40 for the day - I am looking at the one size up from the smallest.

[quote name='vavasmom']
If you don't mind me asking - for the Jeep excursion - I assume that you drove them yourself? Are you paired with another group in your Jeep?[/quote]

Yes, you drive them yourself, on the left hand side of the road!! LOL They are available in manual and automatic. You are paired 4 to a jeep.

We ended up with a really nice younger couple and had a great day.

Vavasmom~ Thanks for the info on the rental car. Do you know if rental place have booster seats or anything? my son will only be 4. IMO I would get off the boat in Nassua and maybe stay on the boat in Freeport. As of right now thats what we plan on doing.

Duckie~ how did you guys decide who was going to drive?

Thanks for the info Vavasmom. Oh I just noticed you WERE talking about Freeport. I was thinking about staying on the boat during that stop as well. I read so many people say it's not worth getting off. We thought we could enjoy some time in the pool. hoping it will be less people on deck while in port.

[quote name='daniella1279']
Duckie~ how did you guys decide who was going to drive?[/quote]

If you get in to a jeep first then you can decide who drives. If you join a jeep with people already in it then you get to climb in the back.

The DH preferred not to drive so that he would be able to look at everything without driving, so we joined a jeep that already had people in it.

They do say half way through the tour that if you want to switch drivers, now would be the time.

Archived