Formal Night - Are Jackets for Men still Necessary?

How necessary is it for a man to wear a jacket on the formal nights - with all the airline restrictions, it seems like a waste to pack one -

Will my husband feel out of place in dockers and a nice shirt on formal night or is that becoming more of a norm?

Thanks.

P.S. I know questions like this have been asked a million times, but I figured I'd ask once more as our cruise is just around the corner and we want to start packing. We have given up with jackets on NCL altho I know RCCL is a bit more upscale - which is why I'm asking.

Suits/jackets are the suggested attire, so that's what we always go with. Is it necessary? Well, it depends on the maitre-d at the time you try to enter the MDR. I imagine a long sleeved dress shirt and a tie without a jacket would be acceptable, but Dockers and a non-dress shirt (no matter how nice) is not really appropriate even if you can get away with it, and better worn on casual night.

Can he wear it on the plane? It's probably not super comfortably, but my dad always wears a sportcoat on the plane. Have you tried using packing squares/packing things in big ziplocs to help make space? That might make room for it.

If we go to the MDR on formal night, BF wears a coat and tie, but you will see men on formal night without jackets. On my last cruise, there were men wearing Hawaiian shirts on formal night.

How necessary is it for a man to wear a jacket on the formal nights - with all the airline restrictions' date=' it seems like a waste to pack one -

Will my husband feel out of place in dockers and a nice shirt on formal night or is that becoming more of a norm?

Thanks.

P.S. I know questions like this have been asked a million times, but I figured I'd ask once more as our cruise is just around the corner and we want to start packing. We have given up with jackets on NCL altho I know RCCL is a bit more upscale - which is why I'm asking.[/quote']

DUCK, QUICK!!! :eek:

How necessary is it for a man to wear a jacket on the formal nights - with all the airline restrictions' date=' it seems like a waste to pack one -

Thanks.

P.S. I know questions like this have been asked a million times, but I figured I'd ask once more as our cruise is just around the corner and we want to start packing. We have given up with jackets on NCL altho I know RCCL is a bit more upscale - which is why I'm asking.[/quote']

My husband rents a tux through the cruise line and it is there in our cabin upon arrival. No hassle having to deal with it in the luggage. This is a great option.

Is it necessary such that he will be turned away from the dining room? No, they will let him in. Is it necessary such that he will feel out of place when the other men at the table show up appropriately dressed? That depends on how sensitive he is.

No, he does not need to have a coat for formal night. We are certainly not the most experienced cruisers on this board but EVERY cruise we have been on we have seen people on formal night in smart casual clothing without jacket.

I personally rent the tux option but we have enjoyed the company of many a cruiser who opted for the smart casual attire on formal night. It really is what your husband will feel most comfortable in. I would say the majority of men do have a coat on for formal night but there are lots of men that don't as well. Your husband would not "stick" out as the lone wolf without a coat.

As far as being "appropriately dressed", that is an opinion of an individual. If RCI or any other cruise line wanted to make it a mandatory requirement to have a jacket for formal night, they could do so. They are smart enough to know that is neither realistic nor economically wise. Again, if your husband is more comfortable without, then I would say go without. It's your cruise, enjoy it :-).

Steve

DUCK, QUICK!!! :eek:

LOLOLOL.....

Seriously, your DH will not be turned away. However, if he wants to bring a sport coat and you don't want to pack one, just wear one on the plane. A blue or black or even tan coat goes with just about anything.

I wouldn't sweat it though.

Necessary no but be careful of the Cruise Critic Fashion Police they tend to be a bit brutal. Many now choose to not wear the formal attire and look just fine.

The requirements are long pants and shoes in the MDR at night.

The suggested dress on formal nights is formal but I have never seen a man in long pants, a shirt with some kind of sleaves (short or long but not a tank top) and shoes ever turned away on formal nights.

Most realize that sometimes luggage does not arrive for some and others simply do not want to pay the excess baggage charges to airlines so RCL makes the SUGESTED dress formal. You are free to dress up as much as you want on any night (and anywhere between 10% and 40% of the PAXs will dress in Tuxs and another 20% to 50% will dress in Suits on formal nights with the percentages trending higher on longer cruises) and likewise you are free do dress down as long as you meet the long pants, shoes and no tank top requirement even when the suggested dress is Formal.

Suggest discussing the proposed dress for formal nights with your table mates so you can find out in advance that the others at the table will be wearing and then decide if you want to dress up, dress down or dine in alternative venues for the formal night. If you don't plan on coming on a formal night, it is nice to let your waiter and/or your table mates know so they don't wait on you. If they are dressing up and you are not, its best to let them know that dressing up is not your thing and that way if they strongly feel that dining with people not dressed in formal clothing on formal night will ruin their meal THEY can then consider alternative arrangements.

;)...Slacks and a nice dress shirt,tie not necessary...Don't feel intimidated there will be several dressed in this fashion...Now that I've said this I have to duck & cover...:eek:...from the barrage of flames that will come my way from the "Fashion Police" and their "Deputys" :mad:.....Enjoy "Your" cruise.....:D

Lafayette Cruiser..Not sure why you quoted my post and how your answer relates to it. I am well aware of the "suggested" attire and typically don a tux. What others wear, minus tank tops and wife beaters, is of little concern to me and has no bearing on the enjoyment of my cruise.

Just returned from a 5-night RCL Caribbean cruise and was surprised at how varied the formal night dress was for both men and women.

At our table alone (none of the couples knew each other before the cruise), there was one tuxedo, one suit jacket with tie, one suit jacket without tie, and one in a short sleeve print shirt. The tables nearby sported an equal array of styles.

No one is turned away.

Suits/jackets are the suggested attire, so that's what we always go with. Is it necessary? Well, it depends on the maitre-d at the time you try to enter the MDR. I imagine a long sleeved dress shirt and a tie without a jacket would be acceptable, but Dockers and a non-dress shirt (no matter how nice) is not really appropriate even if you can get away with it, and better worn on casual night.

It's not the Maitre-d' I have to worry about getting past, it's my wife.

No it is not "necessary" at all, and don't feel obligated to do dress up too much.

I usually wear a nice sport coat that I also wear on the plane going to Florida. No tie. I wear a tie every day at work and am NOT going to do it on vacation. I have also gone without a coat, and there are lots of guys without coats.

In my opinion, guys that show up at formal night in a shirt and tie with no coat (and there will be a lot of them) look like they just left work at K-Mart:D They'd be better off without the tie. Makes them look like someone who dresses up rarely and are making a lame attempt to do so. Just my opinion of course. You'll get lots of others!:D

Suggest discussing the proposed dress for formal nights with your table mates so you can find out in advance that the others at the table will be wearing and then decide if you want to dress up, dress down or dine in alternative venues for the formal night. If you don't plan on coming on a formal night, it is nice to let your waiter and/or your table mates know so they don't wait on you.

This is one of the most reasonable and realistic posts on this subject. IMHO. Thank you for your post.

I like the tux rental option, it may be simpler than trying to keep a suit wrinkle free in the luggage. Does anyone have an approximate cost on that? :)

It was around $100 including shoes, and two shirts.

The requirements are long pants and shoes in the MDR at night.

The suggested dress on formal nights is formal but I have never seen a man in long pants, a shirt with some kind of sleaves (short or long but not a tank top) and shoes ever turned away on formal nights.

Most realize that sometimes luggage does not arrive for some and others simply do not want to pay the excess baggage charges to airlines so RCL makes the SUGESTED dress formal. You are free to dress up as much as you want on any night (and anywhere between 10% and 40% of the PAXs will dress in Tuxs and another 20% to 50% will dress in Suits on formal nights with the percentages trending higher on longer cruises) and likewise you are free do dress down as long as you meet the long pants, shoes and no tank top requirement even when the suggested dress is Formal.

Suggest discussing the proposed dress for formal nights with your table mates so you can find out in advance that the others at the table will be wearing and then decide if you want to dress up, dress down or dine in alternative venues for the formal night. If you don't plan on coming on a formal night, it is nice to let your waiter and/or your table mates know so they don't wait on you. If they are dressing up and you are not, its best to let them know that dressing up is not your thing and that way if they strongly feel that dining with people not dressed in formal clothing on formal night will ruin their meal THEY can then consider alternative arrangements.

:D I'm sorry Lafayette Cruiser, but I have to laugh at the thought of discussing how you're going to dress, with tablemates...Kinda sounds like getting ready for the "Prom"... Your other info is good.... No flame intended...LOL LOL..enjoy your next cruise...

Archived