Safety concerns in Antigua

sylteach

I don't think we ever felt that it wasn't safe in Antigua, but it sure felt like us being there was a burden on the locals. No smiles, no thank you's, no warm welcomes. From the taxi dispatcher at the port to people working in the shops in town. I told our cab driver that we wanted to go to Sneaky Pete's but he dropped us off next door at Tony's. An employee with Tony's offered us beach chairs but I declined and told her that we were going to enjoy the day next door at Sneaky Petes. She got pretty belligerent at us and told us that if the cab dropped us off at her restaurant, then we should stay there. It didn't get much better at Sneaky Petes. Another cruise ship passenger was asked to leave Sneaky Petes because he rented a jet ski from Tony's. Apparently if you use a chair at Sneaky Petes you can only rent their jet skis. It got pretty heated between the two until both guys cooled down. There must be a pretty good rivalry going on between the two beach bars. But their guests should not feel unwelcome because of it.

It really is sad because this is the island we were looking forward to the most. Not only did it disappoint, but it left a bad taste in our mouth. Thankfully the whole day was not lost. As we were leaving Antigua, there was the most captivating sunset I have ever seen. But the people of Antigua had nothing to do with that. I'm sure they would of ruined it if they did.

Its so weird how people have such diff opinions of places I loved Antigua

thought the people were very nice. We did a best of the Island tour with Gorden. And really we had no problem with the venders while we were waiting for gordon. We just told them no we had plans and no problem.

I thought the Island was wonderful. Never felt a moment of uneasyness

felt very safe. Now Miami on the other hand freakes me out Hate it there and there are very few places that do that to me.:(

I wouldn't want to go back there. I agree with Sunlover5, the folks there were so pushy it was intimidating. Our group of 4 got off the ship and intended on finding a local tour guide to take us around. I had heard nothing but wonderful things about Antigua and how safe it was to roam the island with no worries. I thought it was safe to find a local tour guide.

We probably only made it 50 feet from the pier when we knew we had to turn back. These guys were so agressive, we could hardly walk. We were completely surrounded and I had no intention of getting in a car with any of these people. The folks in Jamaica were never that agressive and I always heard Jamaica was the place to worry about. We ended up going back to the pier inside the secured area where the locals are not allowed. There was one tour desk on the pier to organize tours for the cruise ship passengers. We picked an island tour and another couple from the ship joined us. So now there were 6 of us and I felt a little better. Once we had our tour guide, nobody approached us anywhere the rest of the day. Even when we finished the island tour, we could move around the town with nobody harrassing us. It was like we had the plague.

The island is nice and everything but it isn't a must see. I could have a great time just about anywhere. Next time, I would consider this one of those port days to stay on the ship.

The good thing is that I had considered going there to stay for a whole week because I had heard so many good things. Now I'm glad I didn't waste a whole week's vacation on it. That's one of the great things about a cruise. You get to check places out before you book a trip there.

I disagree. Have been to Antigua three times and have never experienced the rude aggressive behavior like we experienced in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. A firm "no thank you" has always seemed to work in Antigua. Unfortunately this isn't the case in Jamaica. We've traveled to many countries and Jamaica by far was the worst behavior we've ever experienced. No interest in EVER going there again. We use public transportation (bus) when visiting Antigua and the locals have always been friendly and helpful. Would NEVER consider doing that in Jamaica.

My wife and I spent a week there last summer, and I'd say it's no better or worse than most other places. Walking around in downtown St. John is a bit on the seedy side, but no worse than NYC. Some of the folks walking the streets in town were pretty wooly looking, but no one ever bothered us in the least. Most of the locals we met were quite nice. There was a vendor or two on the beach (Dickenson Bay) that were a bit annoying, but less than Jamaica or Cozumel (I think the ones on Cozumel are pushier than the Jamiacans on both our trips). I probably wouldn't care to wander the streets of St. John alone at night, but there's places like that most anywhere you go. Stay with a group and you should be fine. Could it happen.......sure! It could happen just as easily dropping into most any convenience store for a soda for gosh sakes. I wouldn't mind going back at all, especially now that I've been there and know what to expect. It's a neat place, just a bit impoverished when you get away from the resorts.

Have a great trip!

JHC

I spent a week in Antigua, by myself (female) in 2007. Not once did I feel unsafe. But I think calling people idiots because they may fear something that you feel is safe is a little harsh. I agree we would probably be safer in Antigua that in our home town (for Heaven's sake we live in CLEVELAND - can't tell you how many violent crimes occur here in a week). That being said, there is one point that hasn't been addressed - familiarity. We are all very familiar with our neighborhoods and the parts of town that we frequent so we feel safe in them. Most of us are NOT familiar with St. John or the rest of Antigua and therefore would be a little more anxious. Just a thought.

I had heard nothing but wonderful things about Antigua and how safe it was to roam the island with no worries.

I'm not sure it's safe to roam no matter where you are. To me, the word roam suggests attentionless, aimless wandering. No matter how beautiful a place is or how glowing the reports, we always stick to the same safety rules no matter where we are. Opportunists (criminals) are on the look out for tourists who seem fearful, uneasy, uneducated about the place they are visiting, or who are "beguiled" by the paradisiacal beauty of place.

The murder of this woman is very sad, and my heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

At this point, it's unclear who the perpetrator is. A local Antiguan? Maybe. A fellow cruise passenger? Possibly. A cruise ship crewmember? Maybe.

To boycott the island at this point doesn't seem to make sense to me. As others have stated, murders happen everywhere.

The murder of this woman is very sad, and my heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

At this point, it's unclear who the perpetrator is. A local Antiguan? Maybe. A fellow cruise passenger? Possibly. A cruise ship crewmember? Maybe.

To boycott the island at this point doesn't seem to make sense to me. As others have stated, murders happen everywhere.

I also noticed many details were missing from the story.

We never felt unsafe in Antigua........as others said it is the obnoxious rude locals that sealed the deal for us to never return......if they are not fighting with each other they are rude to the tourists.....

This is an island that basically lives off tourists money yet they seem to not care.........there are waaaay too many other beautiful islands in the Caribbean that will be getting my money......

I don't think we ever felt that it wasn't safe in Antigua, but it sure felt like us being there was a burden on the locals. No smiles, no thank you's, no warm welcomes. From the taxi dispatcher at the port to people working in the shops in town. I told our cab driver that we wanted to go to Sneaky Pete's but he dropped us off next door at Tony's. An employee with Tony's offered us beach chairs but I declined and told her that we were going to enjoy the day next door at Sneaky Petes. She got pretty belligerent at us and told us that if the cab dropped us off at her restaurant, then we should stay there. It didn't get much better at Sneaky Petes. Another cruise ship passenger was asked to leave Sneaky Petes because he rented a jet ski from Tony's. Apparently if you use a chair at Sneaky Petes you can only rent their jet skis. It got pretty heated between the two until both guys cooled down. There must be a pretty good rivalry going on between the two beach bars. But their guests should not feel unwelcome because of it.

It really is sad because this is the island we were looking forward to the most. Not only did it disappoint, but it left a bad taste in our mouth. Thankfully the whole day was not lost. As we were leaving Antigua, there was the most captivating sunset I have ever seen. But the people of Antigua had nothing to do with that. I'm sure they would of ruined it if they did.

We had a very similar experience lasat year in Antigua.

To begin with, we told a 'supervisor' at the taxi area that we wanted a cab to Dickenson Beach. We were led a couple of blocks away to our driver. He never said hello or acknowledged us. The 10 minute ride to the Beach was like something out of a movie. I honestly thought the guy had a death wish. My wife was freaked out. (Note:I have been to the Caribbean MANY times and have not had any qualms with cab drivers before...I realize they are often in a hurry). The ride back (diff driver) was much better!

We got to Sneaky Pete's pretty early (9am or so). We were among the first there and we got a couple of chairs. Beach is okay, water is very calm. But once the crowds picked up, the action did too! The Sneaky Pete guys and the guys next door were competing for the 'Wave Runner' business quite emphatically. This was also the worst location for locals selling their wares. Also, the bathroom was disgusting.

While the day wasn't terrible, it is the only time I have ever felt uncomfortable in a port. Also, while I don't necessarily mind the locals trying to make a living...having to tell someone "no thank you" every 10 minutes kind of takes away from the goal of a relaxing/lazy day at the beach.

Just my opinion.

I posted the following on the 'other thread' - but additionally, I'd point out that there are many islands with more aggressive vendors than Antiguas' (St. Lucia, Jamaica, Dominica come to mind) and there are MANY more significantly dangerous areas in the USA (try Detroit, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Phoenix, etc.) and more dangerous countries (Russia, Mexico, Brazil) so the squeemish or judgmental should reconsider. As for the horrific effect of drug use in most regions, that blight was incorporated into 'popular culture' by America then glorified by Hollywood that exported it. So... Perhaps we can thank ourselves for 'the gift that keeps on giving'.

Antigua's 'issues' are shared by much of the Caribbean. The global recession has its effects. Antigua was caught up in the 'boom' and a lot of Antiguans and immigrant workers are now idle. Immigration has diluted neighborhood bonds of the island's communities.

Drugs...

The island under the Bird family was majorly involved in facilitating aircraft flying the Colombia - Florida cargo route. Once that influence is 'in the door', it's cancerous; you can kiss goodbye to moral sanity for a percentage of citizens...

Pretty much the same everywhere, however, problems have been rising in Antigua. There are a lot (A LOT) of wonderful Antiguans however working hard on community policing initiatives. But the global village suffers global problems...

We just returned from eastern car. and our second time in Antigua. it is one of my favorite places. We went snorkeling for most of the day , absolutely paradise and we were there in2004 and did a taxi tour and then spent the rest of the day at dickenson bay beach. We never felt unsafe. I have to agree with most of the people on here that your hometown usa is probably more dangerous. As with anywhere you need to be aware of your surroundings . but i would go back to Antigua tomorrow.

We had a very similar experience lasat year in Antigua.

To begin with, we told a 'supervisor' at the taxi area that we wanted a cab to Dickenson Beach. We were led a couple of blocks away to our driver. He never said hello or acknowledged us. The 10 minute ride to the Beach was like something out of a movie. I honestly thought the guy had a death wish. My wife was freaked out. (Note:I have been to the Caribbean MANY times and have not had any qualms with cab drivers before...I realize they are often in a hurry). The ride back (diff driver) was much better!

We got to Sneaky Pete's pretty early (9am or so). We were among the first there and we got a couple of chairs. Beach is okay, water is very calm. But once the crowds picked up, the action did too! The Sneaky Pete guys and the guys next door were competing for the 'Wave Runner' business quite emphatically. This was also the worst location for locals selling their wares. Also, the bathroom was disgusting.

While the day wasn't terrible, it is the only time I have ever felt uncomfortable in a port. Also, while I don't necessarily mind the locals trying to make a living...having to tell someone "no thank you" every 10 minutes kind of takes away from the goal of a relaxing/lazy day at the beach.

Just my opinion.

Wow....I thought they were just having a bad day when we were there. Yeah right. I felt like we were caught in the middle of gang turf war(without the violence of course). Doesn't seem like things have changed.

I don't think we ever felt that it wasn't safe in Antigua,

but it sure felt like us being there was a burden on the locals.

No smiles, no thank you's, no warm welcomes. ===> Not happy within themselves?

-from the taxi dispatcher at the port, to people working in the shops in town.

Too many of them are malcontent and unfriendly

even to other Caribbean islanders (personal experience) ;)

Just have no desire to go back.

Vendors are the pushiest we have ever come across.

We would stay on the ship if we went there again.

No need to be that drastic!

You shouldn't come all that way just to stay on board.. :cool:

You don't have to go very far at all to find the nice shops

nestled in the touristy area between St.Johns' two cruise ship piers.

ExoticAntigua.jpg

Even if you go no place else, at least you would have made it off the ship!

There's a boardwalk that connects the two cruise ship piers and the small shopping area

AntiguaBoardwalk-171.jpg

and sticking around this area for maybe 45 mins. -you'll be OK! ;)

Just don't be a wimp and stay on the ship.

That's being paranoid almost. :cool:

Scary cab rides in Antigua because the guy didn't greet you? I have had scarrier cab rides in Pittsburgh where the cabbie drove so wrecklessly that the passengers heads were colliding as we rounded corners. Most people with incredible life skills don't become cabbies. We have been to Antigua before and it was probably our most fun and memorable port ever. The locals are a blast. Can't wait to be back in 3 weeks. It's 10 degrees here with 3 feet of snow on the ground and crime still happens. That is just the world we live in. Have fun while you can.

Scary cab rides in Antigua because the guy didn't greet you? I have had scarrier cab rides in Pittsburgh where the cabbie drove so wrecklessly that the passengers heads were colliding as we rounded corners. Most people with incredible life skills don't become cabbies. We have been to Antigua before and it was probably our most fun and memorable port ever. The locals are a blast. Can't wait to be back in 3 weeks. It's 10 degrees here with 3 feet of snow on the ground and crime still happens. That is just the world we live in. Have fun while you can.

you clearly didn't read the whole post.

scary because the guy drove like he was trying to kill us all (again...I have been in cabs all over the Caribbean and am used to 'non-traditional' driving!).

the fact that he had the disposition of a mass-murderer simply added to the stress!!

the fact that he had the disposition of a mass-murderer simply added to the stress!!

I've never met any mass murders so I don't know their disposition!:D

You know, you're posts have a bit of an alarmist hyperbole to them...

In repsonse, one could probably accurately say that Antigua has a lower violent crime rate than much of southern california and that there have been more murders during the past decade wherein LAPD members have been implicated or arrested than have occurred in all Antigua! ;):D;)

We spent two weeks on the island vacationing in a small villa in 2007. Although I did not feel threatened or unsafe I must agree with other posters that found the islanders to be a little indifferent. We especially noticed this in the town of St. John. At first I wondered if they were just rude (for lack of a better word) to us and were nice and friendly to each other. I soon noticed that they didn't hold the door open for each other or say sorry if they bumped into one another and they rarely said please or thank you. My eleven year olds noticed it also and mentioned it to me as well. I remember seeing a big billboard in St. John that read "Tourism is Everyone's Business". So I think that having a sign like that on a busy road says a lot. Antigua is a beautiful island and I would not hesitate to return for safty concerns. I have many options of where I would like to vacation and I think that the general lack of friendliness has kept Antigua off of the top of my list for the past few years.

St. Kitts and Nevis have a higher murder rate than Antigua and Barbuda does. So does, St. Croix, St. Thomas, both sides of St. MArtin, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Tobago (and Trinidad) and today they arrested a Dominican for the murder in question here in Antigua who according to police matches the description of the guy who the same day was seen on the same beach harassing other women. It is alleged he tried to get other women to go on "nature walks" with them over the past few months on that beach. http://www.caribarena.com/antigua/news/police/dominican-arrested-for-murder-201001318152.html

aplmac, I see you still are being as nice as always.

Wow! I am sure glad they have someone in custody now. I just wanted to know if it would be ok for my 82 year old father, who is blind in one eye and will be walking with a cane, to wander around on his own at that port. He has gone on many cruises with my mom, but now that he will be on his own I was worried about him. I will just remind him to stay close to the ship if he is not going on an excursion. That will be my advice to him for all the ports, not just Antigua.

St. Kitts and Nevis have a higher murder rate than Antigua and Barbuda does. So does, St. Croix, St. Thomas, both sides of St. MArtin, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Tobago (and Trinidad) and today they arrested a Dominican for the murder in question here in Antigua who according to police matches the description of the guy who the same day was seen on the same beach harassing other women. It is alleged he tried to get other women to go on "nature walks" with them over the past few months on that beach. http://www.caribarena.com/antigua/news/police/dominican-arrested-for-murder-201001318152.html

aplmac, I see you still are being as nice as always.

In regards to the murder rate, I personally am far more concerned with the number of tourists being murdered then I am with drug or turfwar related murders. It is not just the number of murders, it's the who, for what, when and why that I am more interested in.

I just wanted to know if it would be ok for my 82 year old father,

who is blind in one eye and will be walking with a cane,

to wander around on his own at that port.

He has gone on many cruises with my mom,

but now that he will be on his own I was worried about him.

I will just remind him to stay close to the ship if he is not going on an excursion. ===> Yeaahh that'll work

That will be my advice to him for all the ports, not just Antigua. ===> Yes, I agree!

Oh sure! He'll be just fine!

he's not a sitting duck, d'you think?

I'm assuming your much-loved Dad is 6ft. 3 ins. - 220 lbs of muscle,

ex-USMC Special Ops, has 'attitude'

and knows how to use a mere walking cane as a self-defense device, just in case. ;)

May your children 'give you the same freedoms' and reminders

when you get to 82, in that condition. :)

I've never met any mass murders so I don't know their disposition!:D

You know, you're posts have a bit of an alarmist hyperbole to them...

In repsonse, one could probably accurately say that Antigua has a lower violent crime rate than much of southern california and that there have been more murders during the past decade wherein LAPD members have been implicated or arrested than have occurred in all Antigua! ;):D;)

Don't consider myself an 'alarmist' at all. And don't really care about the murder rates in SoCal vs Antigua. Those facts are irrelevant to my post.

I was simply relaying my personal experience on Antigua. It was not pleasant...especially when compared to the 10-12 other Caribbean ports I have called on.

Was my experience the exception to the rule? Possibly. However, perception is reality to most people. Based upon my experience on the island, it is waaaay down at the bottom of the list of places I would like to visit again!!

Archived