Anchorage 10 Hour Tour Need Info

ginder11

Has anyone been one this tour? Will be on HAL 8/23/2010 cruise

8/30/2010 port from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.:rolleyes:

Please rewrite???? Is there a specific tour you are referring to? And you have referenced 6 hours in port?

The Grand Anchorage/Portage Glacier Tour is usually run by Greyline.On our 14 Night Alaska Cruise this tour is being offered by HAL for the same price as you would have got it through Greyline.The tour includes stops at sights of interest in Anchorage then on to the Native Heritage center.Afterwards traveling Seward Highway to Turnagain Arm A stop in Alyeska for Lunch and Tramride on your own.Next is Portage Glacier stop and hour cruise on the Ptarmigan/Back to Anchorage still leaving several hours for dinner.

Since it is a ship sponsored tour you will be leaving from the ship and not having to meet at hotel.You will also get ship credit.

We booked ours at the begining of the month and it is waitlisted.We will Be in Anchorage June 21 Summer Solstice

WOW, I guess I better book now for August!

Thank you so much. I am new to cruising. I hope I can find Holland's site for booking tours.

It is on HAL site click on booked passengers Then excursions Have your Booking # available and Some form of credit card You can pre book all tours as well as purchase drink cards and Pinnacle cost with reservation

Sounds like a good tour visiting many great points of interest. However, it is something that you can pretty easily replicate on your own by renting a car and doing it on your own. The drive from Anchorage to Portage Glacier and the other locations along the route is uncomplicated and it will cost you considerably less to do it independently as well as allowing you to spend as much or as little time at any stop as suits you. Considering the amount of time you will be in Anchorage, you should be able to do this tour on your own well within the time allotted. :)

Sounds like a good tour visiting many great points of interest. However, it is something that you can pretty easily replicate on your own by renting a car and doing it on your own. The drive from Anchorage to Portage Glacier and the other locations along the route is uncomplicated and it will cost you considerably less to do it independently as well as allowing you to spend as much or as little time at any stop as suits you. Considering the amount of time you will be in Anchorage, you should be able to do this tour on your own well within the time allotted. :)

Do you know how many cars are stocked in Anchorage?This is the first time a cruise ship has been docked since the 1960's.That is a big volume for the city to handle along with those on land tours.

Not everyone likes to spend their vacation driving We like to sit back and relax listen to the guides stories and history We also enjoy meeting other cruise passangers.It is worth the few extra dollars to us to sit back and relax and leave the driving to someone else.

Do you know how many cars are stocked in Anchorage?This is the first time a cruise ship has been docked since the 1960's.That is a big volume for the city to handle along with those on land tours.

Not everyone likes to spend their vacation driving We like to sit back and relax listen to the guides stories and history We also enjoy meeting other cruise passangers.It is worth the few extra dollars to us to sit back and relax and leave the driving to someone else.

Other cruise ships docked in Anchorage, in the 80's and 90's. Some were Port of Calls, but most were starting or ending their cruise in Anchorage. The ships were small, about 600 - 1,000 pass. each.

The Anchorage Airport has a lot of cars, I don't think Anchorage will run out of cars.

alpal1993

My neighbors will be traveling with me. I don't think they will want to rent a car. Most of my traveling in the past was done independently, which I still like; but it is nice to meet other people on the same trip.

I have enjoyed the useful information everyone has given about this port.

While I personally tend to agree with you and usually would prefer letting someone else do the driving and provide a professional tour guide's advice and information during the tour, if three or more people are involved the savings of doing things independently amount to more than a "few extra dollars". The savings can be significant and we all know how expensive tours can be in Alaska. Most of the places included in the tour in question can be done in a rental car and involve a relatively easy drive. Each person or group has to decide which way works best for them but there are legitimate arguments on both sides of the issue.:)

While I personally tend to agree with you and usually would prefer letting someone else do the driving and provide a professional tour guide's advice and information during the tour, if three or more people are involved the savings of doing things independently amount to more than a "few extra dollars". The savings can be significant and we all know how expensive tours can be in Alaska. Most of the places included in the tour in question can be done in a rental car and involve a relatively easy drive. Each person or group has to decide which way works best for them but there are legitimate arguments on both sides of the issue.:)

We very rarely travel with others so for just DH and we enjoy the tours.In Retirement we will be buying an RV so we will get a lot of driving miles on our own.In Hawaii we staid 3 days post cruise and the last day we drove all around Oahu and beach hopped.Turned out to be the best day ever.

We very rarely travel with others so for just DH and we enjoy the tours.In Retirement we will be buying an RV so we will get a lot of driving miles on our own.In Hawaii we staid 3 days post cruise and the last day we drove all around Oahu and beach hopped.Turned out to be the best day ever.

Several of our friends have RVs and enjoy them very much but they don't really fit our lifestyle. In Alaska, we will be traveling with about a dozen long time neighbors and friends (on most of our trips it is either my wife and I by ourselves or as part of a larger group:)). I know that each person's financial situation will determine which tours each of us will take and we will be apart as much as we are together on this trip, but I know we will have a wonderful experience.:)

Archived